UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

AEM cold air intake

Old 08-22-2008, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEM cold air intake

Hi,
given that I have an AEM clone cold air intake, and given that my car is a daily driver and given that it never seems to stop feking pissing down this summer do I need to buy this?

http://www.envyperformance.com/index.cfm?f...FTOKEN=52787950

an AEM bypass valve?

Does anyone know where it fits (I am guessing up by the engine block) and how it manages to stop water getting into the engine, thanks.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:05 PM

Looks like a good idea especialy with our weather, to be honest would you really drive through water any deeper than 3-4 inches ? i know i wouldnt, the standard air intake is just under the edge of the bonnet pretty well protected as it doesnt have a direct air feed from out side.

So in my eyes i wouldnt get one if i had a low air intake eg filter in the front grill then yes i would, then as for fitment it would replace the intake connection between stainless steel pipe and throttle body
Old 08-22-2008, 02:11 PM

My V2 has a rubber valve in the bottom section that lets out sitting water/condensation.
I think tho that the main worry with a 'low level' induction is, if it's totaly immersed in water, a large amount of water can be sucked into the engine
This bit of kit is designed to let in air should the lower section become flooded - its just tight foam and air only gets pulled through when subjected to a large amount of negative pressure (I think?)

Old 08-22-2008, 02:14 PM

Hmm so Napps you are suggesting it is fitted down by the bottom of the pipe near the filter? Streffie is suggesting up by the throttle body.

If it is connected lower down by the filter, do you suspect it will interfere with the airflow, and reduce performance/induction/noise?
Old 08-22-2008, 02:16 PM

its only really an issue if your going to drive through a flood
a small amount of moisture or condensation will just be burnt off in the engine.
really dont think this will do anything in just heavy rain
Old 08-22-2008, 02:18 PM

I agree this would go up at the top - i just have a small valve in the base just behind the filter to relaese any water sitting in the induction (condensation etc)
Old 08-22-2008, 02:18 PM

True but its easy enough to find a large puddle, something to aquaplane in on the motorway or under a bridge, or as happened to me on a run to Wigan only last weekend 6 inches of standing water right across my side of the road I had to drive on the other side to get past it safely.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:20 PM

If you're worried about hydrolock then Lloyd sells a hydroshield which goes round the filter.

The AEM has a duck bill valve due to the angle of the lower section of pipe as this can retain water from the drainage channels above.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by s2ook,Aug 22 2008, 11:20 PM
If you're worried about hydrolock then Lloyd sells a hydroshield which goes round the filter.

The AEM has a duck bill valve due to the angle of the lower section of pipe as this can retain water from the drainage channels above.
I blocked the drain channel directly above the filter, the hydrosheild that lloyd sells looks a bit of a pain to fit if I am honest, I had considered that but didn't think it looked as effective as this device ...
Old 08-22-2008, 02:32 PM

It's probably a good idea if your worried about it.
Still think a puddle isnt enough water to be a problem especially if your going over it!
Your filter will do a pritty good job of stoping water, unless its completely under -like door seal level!

Gives me an idea though... if my road floods is there a speed i can hit it at where i'll just plane straight over?? lol

Quick Reply: AEM cold air intake