UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

advice removing scratches from paintwork

Old 02-13-2014, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To be honest, you really want something with no fillers or oils like that PB glaze has. It's really designed to be used after polishing (before waxing/sealing).

If sticking to halfords, then either Autoglym Paint Renovator or Meguiars Ultimate Compound should have some success removing it. Personally I've had some good success with GTechniq P1 by hand with a similar bumper scuff on mine.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:12 AM

Paint Renovator is fine but its quite abrasive, you must finish it of with Super Resin and Gloss to make it look any good.

I bought a machine polisher (the orbital type not rotary) with some megiures cutting polish and finishing polishes and cutting/polishing/buffing pads. Cost around 150 all in and theres nothing I've not been able to fix unless its gone down beyond the lacquer. I have no skill so am by no means a hardened detailer!!! (and its MUCH easier than by hand!!)
Old 02-14-2014, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by Dano2k
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has any advice for removing scratches (seen in the attached photo)?

These were on the car when I purchased it. If this was on any of my previous cars I would have cracked out the t-cut by now but I don't want to go ruining the paintwork. I'm afraid I have little knowledge/experience when it comes to detailing & bodywork.

Hi Dano2k,

As explained, this is a minor scuff on the panel, it look worse than it really is.

Personally, if you're not looking for a full detail, paying £400 for a correction detail wouldn't be justified.

Where are you based? I cover the Midlands and would be happy to discuss a package that would be a lot more suitable for you if you're interested. www.deepimpactdetailing.com

I offer discounts if you're an S2KUK member too: http://www.s2kuk.com/member-discounts.php?c=2

Alternatively, don't go at it with T-Cut, the abrasives are far too harsh for your paintwork, you may risk further damage. You can if you have access to a light polish and apply this gently by hand until the defect has disappeared.

Feel free to contact me on here for further advice or information about my detailing services.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by SkyJawa
Paint Renovator is fine but its quite abrasive, you must finish it of with Super Resin and Gloss to make it look any good.

I bought a machine polisher (the orbital type not rotary) with some megiures cutting polish and finishing polishes and cutting/polishing/buffing pads. Cost around 150 all in and theres nothing I've not been able to fix unless its gone down beyond the lacquer. I have no skill so am by no means a hardened detailer!!! (and its MUCH easier than by hand!!)
It takes a brave man to go near soft Honda paint with a rotary and no experience, I wouldn't be so quick to state you have no skill

I've seen paint transfer on a DA using just polish not even compound from Honda paint, unless you have some practice panels to get a feel for it I'd consider the price a pro charges to be a sensible investment and if done right should last years.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Deep Impact Aaron
Originally Posted by Dano2k' timestamp='1392319302' post='23014301
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has any advice for removing scratches (seen in the attached photo)?

These were on the car when I purchased it. If this was on any of my previous cars I would have cracked out the t-cut by now but I don't want to go ruining the paintwork. I'm afraid I have little knowledge/experience when it comes to detailing & bodywork.

Hi Dano2k,

As explained, this is a minor scuff on the panel, it look worse than it really is.

Personally, if you're not looking for a full detail, paying £400 for a correction detail wouldn't be justified.

Where are you based? I cover the Midlands and would be happy to discuss a package that would be a lot more suitable for you if you're interested. www.deepimpactdetailing.com

I offer discounts if you're an S2KUK member too: http://www.s2kuk.com...scounts.php?c=2

Alternatively, don't go at it with T-Cut, the abrasives are far too harsh for your paintwork, you may risk further damage. You can if you have access to a light polish and apply this gently by hand until the defect has disappeared.

Feel free to contact me on here for further advice or information about my detailing services.
Personally I would never advise people to go at a scuff or scratch by hand, too much pressure is too easily applied and further damage will quite often be the result.

I would however recommend taking it to a detailer perhaps such as Deep Impact Aaron up here as long as their price was way lower than the £400 quoted above, wow .. that is some serious money, I have detailed some mega machinery and not charged that much per job ... once I came close but that was a 2 day job inside and out on Steve McQueens brown Ferrari, valued in the region of 4.5 million quid ... the extra money was for the extra balls I needed to work on such a machine

Old 02-14-2014, 08:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You missed a bit !
Old 02-14-2014, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by PhilipGB
Originally Posted by SkyJawa' timestamp='1392376366' post='23015291

It takes a brave man to go near soft Honda paint with a rotary and no experience, I wouldn't be so quick to state you have no skill

I've seen paint transfer on a DA using just polish not even compound from Honda paint, unless you have some practice panels to get a feel for it I'd consider the price a pro charges to be a sensible investment and if done right should last years.
I attacked every panel on it with my DA when I bought it as lots of minor marks, some on bumper like OP (not rotary - I'd kill it with one of them!!) and haven't had any issue at all so ok maybe I have a little skill!!!! LOL

Didn't notice Honda paint appear any worse than most others these days with the paints in use now!