UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Advice on my S2000

Old 05-28-2013, 04:22 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

If you want a suggestion for "keeping your licence" then try putting the car into 4th gear in a 30mph zone. It's surprisingly easier to keep the car at a steady speed. Use 5th for a 40mph zone.

Also, try covering the speedo with a piece of card so you can't see it put your passenger can. Then see if you can do 30mph without knowing how fast you are actually going! Scary, I know, but your passenger will tell you if you are going too fast. Once you have this mastered you should find it a lot easier to know how fast you are going. It does work really well.

Finally (when you have your licence back) - why not take some Advanced Driving Lessons, or maybe pass your Advanced Driving Test. Try a few "Online" insurance companies - like Admiral or Elephant where you can specify which licence type you have and compare the cost of the insurance with and without the Advanced Driving Licence. If you live close to Norfolk then I would be happy doing some lessons for free (same offer goes for anyone).

Hope this helps and good luck.

Minvo
Old 05-28-2013, 05:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by minvo
If you want a suggestion for "keeping your licence" then try putting the car into 4th gear in a 30mph zone. It's surprisingly easier to keep the car at a steady speed. Use 5th for a 40mph zone.

Also, try covering the speedo with a piece of card so you can't see it put your passenger can. Then see if you can do 30mph without knowing how fast you are actually going! Scary, I know, but your passenger will tell you if you are going too fast. Once you have this mastered you should find it a lot easier to know how fast you are going. It does work really well.

Finally (when you have your licence back) - why not take some Advanced Driving Lessons, or maybe pass your Advanced Driving Test. Try a few "Online" insurance companies - like Admiral or Elephant where you can specify which licence type you have and compare the cost of the insurance with and without the Advanced Driving Licence. If you live close to Norfolk then I would be happy doing some lessons for free (same offer goes for anyone).

Minvo
Thanks for taking the time to post that reply.Interesting. Insurance is something I need to get sorted. My current insurance expires mid July. I've already contacted them and I told them of the ban, so they want details.The premium will go up ( not sure how much yet) but I will have to shop around I think. I'm in Cambridgeshire. Thanks for your offer. Food for thought..your post. Thanks.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:17 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by SeaHawk
Originally Posted by minvo' timestamp='1369743728' post='22570862

Minvo
Thanks for taking the time to post that reply.Interesting. Insurance is something I need to get sorted. My current insurance expires mid July. I've already contacted them and I told them of the ban, so they want details.The premium will go up ( not sure how much yet) but I will have to shop around I think. I'm in Cambridgeshire. Thanks for your offer. Food for thought..your post. Thanks.
Always more than happy to help. PM me on steve@minvo.com if you need more information....

Minvo
Old 05-28-2013, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by SeaHawk
How long after you were given your ban did you tell your insurer?
Old 05-28-2013, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by GreenmanS2000
Originally Posted by SeaHawk' timestamp='1369746768' post='22570936
[quote name='minvo' timestamp='1369743728' post='22570862']
How long after you were given your ban did you tell your insurer?
[/quote]
approx 3 months, last week in fact. I think I should have done it straight away.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:27 AM

Yes you should - you may find they will cancel the policy immediately, leaving you in a whole heap of trouble as you will have to declare that you had a policy voided (ie effectively refused)

Good luck!
Old 05-29-2013, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by GreenmanS2000
Yes you should - you may find they will cancel the policy immediately, leaving you in a whole heap of trouble as you will have to declare that you had a policy voided (ie effectively refused)

Good luck!
I was informed when I spoke to my insurance people that my policy is valid but when it is renewed the premium will be affected.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:11 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Should've done the CTEK straight away too, by rights.

Good luck getting back into it. I have my Snooper S2000 on at all times (partly because I dunno where I am) so it warns me of the highwaymen. It also has BT (which I think is getting knackered, though) which obviates another potential source of oppression.

It also allows me to set cruise @ legal plus 10% via true GPS speed, just so the oppression has minimal inconvenience to my chosen demeanour.