UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Advice on my S2000

Old 05-27-2013, 01:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on my S2000

In February I was banned for 6 months for collecting the speed camera points. So I'm half way through. The S has been garaged for 3 months. I've done nothing to it apart from running the engine every week. Is there anything else I need to be doing as preparation for getting behind the wheel again? I'll be starting to get it prepared visually, cleaning etc but just wondering if there's anything else needs doing.Needs a service for one.
Advice welcome.Anyone been in this situation before?Roll on mid August.
Thanks in advance.
p.s. I'm no mechanic!
Old 05-27-2013, 01:45 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I'd give the brakes some exercise as they seize up for fun!
Old 05-27-2013, 01:48 AM

Received 654 Likes on 569 Posts

Have you moved it back and forth? The tyres might flat spot.

How long do you run it for? The petrol might go a bit shit
Old 05-27-2013, 01:56 AM

No, haven't moved it back and forth. You mean I should?
Walked a mile yesterday to my usual garage to get some more petrol.
MB, do you just mean apply the brakes every now and again.
I tried to take some positives from the ban : got me on my bike for one. My colleague who drove me to court said dryly , "just think, you've freed up a car park space for your colleagues."
Old 05-27-2013, 02:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think MB means drive forward and back and use the brakes a little. There is nothing illegal about driving on your own driveway if you have one in front of the garage
Old 05-27-2013, 02:05 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Yep I would gently exercise the pedal and move the car a little, but probably something to have done from the start. Also remember that the drivetrain hasn't moved so just go steady.

Must be crap getting banned, especially for such a high profile crime as totting up points!
Old 05-27-2013, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by Joeh
I think MB means drive forward and back and use the brakes a little. There is nothing illegal about driving on your own driveway if you have one in front of the garage
I'll start doing it tomorrow!
Old 05-27-2013, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by MB
Yep I would gently exercise the pedal and move the car a little, but probably something to have done from the start. Also remember that the drivetrain hasn't moved so just go steady.

Must be crap getting banned, especially for such a high profile crime as totting up points!
Ok, will get going on the brakes. and I'll bear in mind your advice. Actually I'm a bit concerned as to driving it again. Hope it will be ok.(Mechanically, I mean)
Yes, I was in a bit of a state of shock when told it would be 6 months. Public transport has been an experience.The magistrates make no differentiation as to the excess of breaking the limit. the points were doing 36 or suchlike in a 30 limit. Be careful out there. You only have to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:30 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey I know the feeling as my as my car is parked up in my garage aswell. what you can do is leave the handbrake off to stop any binding.you might want to look in to getting a CTEK battery charger which also maintains your battery when the car is not used
Old 05-27-2013, 02:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some good advise above. Personally I would get a friend to take it for a spin once a fortnight. That way everything get's worked as normal and you can ride shot gun and still enjoy some roof down action

Quick Reply: Advice on my S2000