UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Advice for brake change

Old 12-02-2013, 08:28 PM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Give me a buzz anytime if you want some advice Heff!

Oh, get a laser or equivalent brake caliper winding tool (right hand/clockwise operation) as some of the cheaper ones are s**t!
Old 12-02-2013, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cheers for help guys. Ive got a rough idea what im doing. Its just one of those jobs where you get to a certain point where you cant turn back an hit a snag or realise you are missing a tool.
Dan, i will no doubt be in touch mate. Need to get a caliper winding tool, will that be ok for the front pistons aswell or do
I need a g clamp aswell?

Another more expensive than planned trip to halfords then. I was only going to go to get some carb cleaner as i want to clean the intake sensors and bits out. Oh how my bank account hates my cars.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Theheff
Cheers for help guys. Ive got a rough idea what im doing. Its just one of those jobs where you get to a certain point where you cant turn back an hit a snag or realise you are missing a tool.
Dan, i will no doubt be in touch mate. Need to get a caliper winding tool, will that be ok for the front pistons aswell or do
I need a g clamp aswell?

Another more expensive than planned trip to halfords then. I was only going to go to get some carb cleaner as i want to clean the intake sensors and bits out. Oh how my bank account hates my cars.
Yes a caliper wind back tool can be used for the fronts as well as the rears
Old 12-02-2013, 10:56 PM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

I use a chisel to wind back the rears - I found it easier to use than the wind back tool I had, though other's experiences are different.

G-clamp works a treat for the fronts.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dembo
Try and get the screws out of the disks first, and then throw them away.
I love how everyone says this.

I have had the rear disks off mine three times, all three times the screws came out fine and I never changed them.

If you use the right size screwdriver head and someone has not already f@#ked them then you should be fine.

Why give yourself more work by drilling them out if you can just use the right size screwdriver head and be careful?
Old 12-03-2013, 12:20 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

DON'T do what a mate of mine did, did a similar brake refurb like yours on Saturday before a long drive to a wedding the next day, then discovered at 8.00pm..................... forgot to buy any DOT4!!!
Old 12-03-2013, 12:43 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by laurieballard

I have had the rear disks off mine three times, all three times the screws came out fine and I never changed them.

If you use the right size screwdriver head and someone has not already f@#ked them then you should be fine.

Why give yourself more work by drilling them out if you can just use the right size screwdriver head and be careful?
I broke an impact driver trying to remove the screws, so experiences vary.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:50 AM

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by lovegroova
I broke an impact driver trying to remove the screws, so experiences vary.
Yup broke a screwdriver and 1 head on a drill and then 5 heads on an impact driver before i drilled them out on one disk. Luckily the others had been ok with just the impact driver. I dont tighten the replacement screws now.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:25 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Dembo
Agree with getting the screws out but strongly disagree with throwing them away. They hold the discs in the correct position when the wheels are off and prevent potential misalignment issues every time your wheels come off.

However, we've had this argument before.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:27 AM

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by laurieballard
Originally Posted by Dembo' timestamp='1386017940' post='22903913

What do you think I used then ?

All of my screws were rusted in from the factory , andrequired some application to get them to shift , hence the need to drill thebolts out. I didnt want to mess around drilling and taping , and now have sssocket head screws fitted. Aren't you the lucky one!

Quick Reply: Advice for brake change