UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Additional New User FAQ - forget it

Old 10-07-2009, 04:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LTB,Oct 7 2009, 12:28 PM
Good idea until some twunt puts absolute rubbish in it.
Any idea how the same thing could be achieved with the existing FAQ?
Old 10-07-2009, 04:36 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by loftust,Oct 7 2009, 09:41 AM
I think it is worth mentioning that the older cars do burn oil (up to 1 litre per thousand mile is acceptable?
Not all of them and i belive it depends on what oil you use as to how much you burn.

And i would check your oil when the engine is cold not when the engine has been off for 5 mins, so you dont overfill.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:59 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Trouble is with an oil FAQ is that nobody agrees. The Owners Manual is also a good reference
Old 10-07-2009, 05:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

-Deleted-
Old 10-07-2009, 05:11 AM

Does anyone have the link to the roof thread or the Honda parts database.

[QUOTE]So you’ve just bought an S2000, congratulations.
Welcome to the forum. Go and write a post to say hello to the other forum members.

There’s probably a few things you want to know, here’s the shortlist, look at the technical FAQ or do a search for more information or discussion.
This is a link to the full FAQ
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=301506

The answers here are not definitive, there are other tyres and different opinions on oil but what is written here are standard answers.

Oil
Use any decent 10w40 and you’ll be fine. For top-ups each X on the dipstick is about 100-200ml.
If you don't know how to check you oil then look at the full faq where it is explained in detail

Tyres
The standard approved tyre is the Bridgestone Re5oA for 16” and Re50s for 17”

16”
Front: 205/55 R16
Old 10-07-2009, 05:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IPC - Illustrated Parts Catalog
TCT - Timing Chain Tensioner

Rob - Is that quote from the FAQ? The spelling is a bit shady and £7000 is way too much to get your bushes sorted!

Ade...I'll refer you to the owners manual, and it is the common consensus on the forum about when to check it, this has been discussed before. Older cars DO burn oil, even if it's only a smidge. 1 litre per thousand miles is the upper limit of acceptance, hence my comment 'up to'.

Back OT:

If the entire FAQ were to be rewritten (which I think it needs to), then different topics can linked into a new owners guide. I would suggest that one person writes up one/two sections, which is then verified/modified by someone else. All of the data is then collated for entry into an easy to use thread.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:19 AM

The geo stuff wasn't a quote form the FAQ, it's just based on my personal experience.. I actually mean £700.
Anyhow, I've taken the price out an rewitten a lot of it .... I've just left enough to let new owners know what a geo is and suggest they get it checked.

I'm sure the spelling is questionable... I'm typing it up quick on a little laptop with notepad rather than word so I don't have spellcheck - I'll spellcheck it properly later.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:23 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

I think a lot of this would make useful additions to MarkB's car buying guide. A sort of questions to ask the owner, if you like. e.g when was the Geometry last done, and by whom? Have the suspension bolts been greased or the bushes replaced?

Has the TCT been changed, hub nuts sorted, roof been replaced. Asking the owner how much oil it uses is probably a good question too.

A list of tyres that are widely used and recommended could be given (Bridgestones, Toyo T-1Rs, Goodyear Eagles, Falken 452s, R888s for track work etc) ith perhaps some general comments that have been widely reported. e.g Toyos are good in the wet but have softer sidewalls and wear quite quickly - potential minefield I know, but might be of some help.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob88,Oct 7 2009, 01:19 PM
I'm sure the spelling is questionable... I'm typing it up quick on a little laptop with notepad rather than word so I don't have spellcheck - I'll spellcheck it properly later.
Cheers...I didn't mean to criticise btw.

As a relative newcomer, would you say the FAQ should be entirely re-written and would my method of linking the info in save time, and provide more clarity?

What I'm trying to say is, that the FAQ shouldn't be one long thread with many pages. It should be a short thread with a brief summation of the subject with a link to more in depth info.

For example:

OIL

Honda and many forum users recommend using Castrol Edge 5W-40 in your S2000. You should check your oil regularly, every time you fill up with petrol is ideal, on a level surface. If you own an older S2000, don't be worried if you need to add a little each time.

(LINK TO IN DEPTH OIL INFO)

I really feel this way is good for newcomers/potential owners to be given the basic facts, with the opportunity to buff up on the hardcore stuff if they wish, without having to trawl through several threads.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:34 AM

-Deleted-

Quick Reply: Additional New User FAQ - forget it