UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Adding iPod/mp3 player to stock 05

Old 11-09-2011 | 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by Hedropsforglory
Sony DSX-S100 Tunetray for me - no room for CDs in the S even if they weren't all on the iPod anyway; the iPod slots straight into the unit behind the facia in place of the CD mech.

£100 for the unit and £20 for the audioleads that allow it all to be run from the S dashboard like the OEM unit and iPod navigability/controllability from the unit that's even better than the iPod it's self - decent sound and better radio reception than the OEM unit as well - can listen to spoken-word with the roof down on the motorway, it's that clear.
I've had a look at this unit and looks just what I could do with. Which audioleads did you get for £20?
Old 11-09-2011 | 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by ewan1973
Originally Posted by Hedropsforglory' timestamp='1320696582' post='21136019
Sony DSX-S100 Tunetray for me - no room for CDs in the S even if they weren't all on the iPod anyway; the iPod slots straight into the unit behind the facia in place of the CD mech.

£100 for the unit and £20 for the audioleads that allow it all to be run from the S dashboard like the OEM unit and iPod navigability/controllability from the unit that's even better than the iPod it's self - decent sound and better radio reception than the OEM unit as well - can listen to spoken-word with the roof down on the motorway, it's that clear.
I've had a look at this unit and looks just what I could do with. Which audioleads did you get for £20?
Autoleads PC99-X61 (you'll need one of these whatever non-OEM head unit you fit) and a Sony-specific SOT lead, also made by autoleads, but the exact name escapes me at the minute.. both commonly availaible on the interweb if you're going to do it yourself and both easily sourced by any supplier/fitter you might choose, including Helfrauds (who also stock them, but not the cheapest source).

If you went for a different head unit, I believe you'd just need to get the manufacturer-specific SOT lead to pair with the PC99-X61.

By the way, there are 3 units in the Tunetray range, I went for the cheapest and haven't regretted it, but the most expensive of the 3 comes with bluetooth as well.
Old 11-09-2011 | 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by ewan1973' timestamp='1320840464' post='21141331
[quote name='Hedropsforglory' timestamp='1320696582' post='21136019']

Autoleads PC99-X61 (you'll need one of these whatever non-OEM head unit you fit) and a Sony-specific SOT lead, also made by autoleads, but the exact name escapes me at the minute.. both commonly availaible on the interweb if you're going to do it yourself and both easily sourced by any supplier/fitter you might choose, including Helfrauds (who also stock them, but not the cheapest source).

If you went for a different head unit, I believe you'd just need to get the manufacturer-specific SOT lead to pair with the PC99-X61.

By the way, there are 3 units in the Tunetray range, I went for the cheapest and haven't regretted it, but the most expensive of the 3 comes with bluetooth as well.
[/quote]
Thanks for that info. I think it's time to put my Xmas list together!!!!
Old 11-10-2011 | 12:57 AM

Are you running the Sony through OEM speakers? Quite tempted by one of these myself and just wondering if it'll blow the original speakers.
Old 11-10-2011 | 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Monkeybone
Are you running the Sony through OEM speakers? Quite tempted by one of these myself and just wondering if it'll blow the original speakers.
I am - MY02 OEM speakers so although they aren't great, they are at least components.

The cheaper unit comes with 5 pre-set sound mixes (as well as mix your own) and only one of them - XPLOD - is a little too bassy for speaker comfort with something gnarly cranked up loud.

Though loud is a subjective term, of course.

I've been advised, and recall a couple of threads on here that also suggest this, that a cheap sub relieves the door speakers of the base "challenge", if it's a problem, and if you don't want to replace the door components. When I first got the S I thought 'd be replacing them, but found that the new head-unit cleaned the sound up hugely, and certainly enough to live with them.
Old 12-01-2011 | 06:32 AM

I am - MY02 OEM speakers so although they aren't great, they are at least components.

The cheaper unit comes with 5 pre-set sound mixes (as well as mix your own) and only one of them - XPLOD - is a little too bassy for speaker comfort with something gnarly cranked up loud.

Though loud is a subjective term, of course.

I've been advised, and recall a couple of threads on here that also suggest this, that a cheap sub relieves the door speakers of the base "challenge", if it's a problem, and if you don't want to replace the door components. When I first got the S I thought 'd be replacing them, but found that the new head-unit cleaned the sound up hugely, and certainly enough to live with them.
I will admit, when driving I do tend to have my music quite loud, usually volume at 20 on the OEM head unit, reckon the speakers would cope ok with the Sony at a similar level?
Old 12-01-2011 | 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Monkeybone
I will admit, when driving I do tend to have my music quite loud, usually volume at 20 on the OEM head unit, reckon the speakers would cope ok with the Sony at a similar level?
Yep, no problem - they didn't cope hugely well with the OEM unit at that level mind; or put another way, they were decent enough to faithfully reproduce and amplify the relatively poor quality sound output. Relatively poor because for its age, the OEM isn't a bad unit at all - it's just that today's typical reproduction is much cleaner.

Shame she's off the road for winter or I'd be happy to tool down to Cheddar Gorge for a demo!
Old 01-12-2012 | 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Monkeybone' timestamp='1322753530' post='21201224

Yep, no problem - they didn't cope hugely well with the OEM unit at that level mind; or put another way, they were decent enough to faithfully reproduce and amplify the relatively poor quality sound output. Relatively poor because for its age, the OEM isn't a bad unit at all - it's just that today's typical reproduction is much cleaner.

Shame she's off the road for winter or I'd be happy to tool down to Cheddar Gorge for a demo!
Only just saw this reply, the demo would have been cool! But no worries. To follow this up, I've just bought (from a popular auction site) the DSX-300BTX for a ridiculous price, purely because I fancied the extra Bluetooth feature (I refuse to break the law and use my phone on the move, plus my phone is stupidly quiet, so having the phone through the speakers is a bonus), just need to get the fitting leads and I'll be away.