UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Adding iPod/mp3 player to stock 05

Old 11-07-2011 | 04:50 AM

Default Adding iPod/mp3 player to stock 05

I have moved to an area were there isn't much on the radio and I am getting tired of managing CD's. I think the FM adapters must be the simple way of doing this but my previous experience about 10 years ago in urban are wasn't so good.
Could the CD Changer input could be used for this purpose? I don't want to spend a lot of money or rip everything apart to get this done. It's more of an annoyance than a real problem.
Old 11-07-2011 | 04:59 AM
15 Year Member

Don't bother with the FM things.

The cheap option is to buy an Ipod interface to work on your OEM radio instead of the CD changer. Can be found on ebay etc.

The almost as cheap option is to buy an Ipod capable head unit and interface kit. which usually squeezes a better sound out of the oem speakers but also gives better ipod control etc.

fitting is easy enough, especially if you just want to keep your ipod in the passenger side string bag.

Tons of posts on this site covering everything from fitting an ipod interface to full sound proofing, wiring, amps, speakers, subs and more.
Old 11-07-2011 | 05:36 AM
UK Moderator
20 Year Member

FM adapters are pretty reasonable these days, and very cheap, so definitely worth a go as the simplest solution.

You can get CD changer adapters from connects2

http://www.connects2.co.uk/c2search....D=779&catID=27
Old 11-07-2011 | 07:42 AM

I used a Griffin FM tuner for about 2 years and its wasnt too bad but then I got advice from Lovegroova and bought a new HU with the necessary cables and fitted it myself which is a piece of piss! Cost me about 150 quid! Sound quality is so much better.
Old 11-07-2011 | 09:12 AM

Dension for me.

Old 11-07-2011 | 09:59 AM

I tried the FM transmitter route on several cars - it ends up being quite annoying and somewhat intermittent in it's quality.

I opted for an ipod compatible head unit (Alpine iDA 100 - a few years old now) which is tremendous. It improved the sound quality of the standard speakers too!

The iPod controls on the Alpine unit were the best at the time, and resembles the menu system found on the iPod Classic models. It also charges the iPod and phone at the same time.

All in all, including a easy to install steering wheel adapter it came to under £250. I know it's far more than an FM transmitter, but trust me, you'll want to use the iPod!
Old 11-07-2011 | 11:09 AM

Sony DSX-S100 Tunetray for me - no room for CDs in the S even if they weren't all on the iPod anyway; the iPod slots straight into the unit behind the facia in place of the CD mech.

£100 for the unit and £20 for the audioleads that allow it all to be run from the S dashboard like the OEM unit and iPod navigability/controllability from the unit that's even better than the iPod it's self - decent sound and better radio reception than the OEM unit as well - can listen to spoken-word with the roof down on the motorway, it's that clear.
Old 11-07-2011 | 11:10 AM
MIP

I got an x-car link adapter:

http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/product.ph...7&cat=3&page=1
Old 11-08-2011 | 06:22 AM

What's recommended for MP3 players or Android phones?
Old 11-08-2011 | 07:17 AM
UK Moderator
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Jimmy Bottlehead
What's recommended for MP3 players or Android phones?
Connects2 do an interface that will allow an aux-in to the OEM head unit via the CD changer.

About £35.

Recommendation would be to get a proper head unit with an aux-in or even better one with bluetooth if you wish to use your phone in-car.

Quick Reply: Adding iPod/mp3 player to stock 05