UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Accident Repair Birmingham

Old 02-10-2013, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accident Repair Birmingham

The inevitable RWD+snow = not a great start to my night shift.

The car is still driveable, the front left wheel took most of the impact and there is damage to the front left bumper and wing. Tracking is out so fingers crossed it just needs adjusting rather than damaged!

Anyone know of a good accident repair place in Birmingham?

Thanks
Old 02-11-2013, 03:33 AM

Some pictures for your interest. As you can imagine I was furious and didn't have the time to recount everything last night. A 13 hour shift later and things are looking better than I thought in the light. I got the tracking sorted this morning on my way home. I think I'll get away with a new wing and a bumper respray (lots of stone chips anyway!).

I was driving past Birmingham City FC on my way to work. The roads weren't gritted and as I drove the conditions were worsening. I was going up the hill at 25, the back tried to overtake the front and I hit and mounted the curb and then glanced a wall. My rally skillz weren't up to the job unfortunately to save it. I crossed the central road markings and then managed to get back on a straight course once the wall had scrubbed enough speed off.

I don't think anyone will insure me if I make a claim, and heading to a bodyshop and forking out will probably save cash on insurance premiums in the long run.

*NASTY CRASH PICTURES*

I knew I should have swapped my shift
Old 02-11-2013, 03:40 AM

If you take it to a bodyshop they'll probably just recommend replacing the wing and bumper for a new one, they are about £200.00 for each part, then budget painting of the parts too £300.00ish, then I would certainly have the bonnet and other wing done too to colour match and get rid of all the stone chips at another £300.00ish. So all in all about £1000.00 for a proper repair. The bodyshop may well be able to repair the damage before painting to save you some dosh.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:22 AM

You could try Sprint Auto Repairs Ltd. www.sprintautos.co.uk

We used them to repair my wife's Skoda Fabia VRS last year after a car park barrier came down on her roof. They did an excellent job and were well priced. They are in Yardley Wood.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just get used parts (same colour) from eGay and do it yourself, it's not hard to replace and will be cheaper than a repair.. I never like sending a car to get sprayed as they always leave a sign its been done, replacement parts would be much better and cheaper if you can find the right ones
Old 02-12-2013, 07:00 AM

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I've been e-mailing the pictures to accident repair places today. One came back with a quote of £2000 "but it's better to go through insurance sir". Yeah...

I wouldn't mind fixing it myself, but I don't have anywhere to wash the car, let alone perform maintenance (it's also in my rental agreement!!).

I'll get a few quotes back and see, I agree that respraying half of the front end might end up looking dodgy If I can get away with a reasonable quote I'll not go through insurance. I doubt I'd get insurance at all with a fault claim at my age and 0 NCB.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Second hand parts will be ~ £250...don't worry about the colour.

Painting will be ~ £ 400.

Fit them round a friend's house...will take a mere 2-3 hours for a novice.

I'd check the headlight mounting lugs haven't broken too. If they are, you might get away with gluing them back on. It'll become clear when the bumper and wing is off.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:54 AM

All fixed. £900 including all the wheels refurbished. I think they've done a decent job matching the colour too.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:05 AM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Nice one,I bet you are pleased to get it back on the road, just in time for the snow again
Old 03-11-2013, 08:59 AM

I've got another night shift tonight... If it snows again I'm going to get a taxi!

Quick Reply: Accident Repair Birmingham