UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Was about to fit my Mugen AP2 exhaust.......

Old 04-09-2011, 04:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Was about to fit my Mugen AP2 exhaust.......

Okay! Was about to attempt to fit my beautiful Mugen exhaust (courtesy of Chrisr111).
I currently have a Skunk2 megapower system, which I fitted with the help of a mechanic friend (which means he fitted it while I passed him things)...... But I'd like to think I have enough mechanical knowledge to attempt it myself this time! I have read something about a ring gasket that fits between the cat and the exhaust. Does this need to be replaced? i dont want to get the system off, only to find I need a new "ring" gasket, especially now my local stealer is closed.

Although I may just pay someone to fit it for me next weekend...... but I may have to still get one of these gaskets..... or can a normal gasket be used?
Thanks in advance.
Old 04-09-2011, 04:23 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Hi, the ring gasket is between the manifold and cat, so you don't need to touch it. Where you disconnect your existing exhuast from the cat, there is a flat gasket, or gasket paste can be used. Or you can reuse whatever is in there.
Old 04-09-2011, 04:28 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Old 04-09-2011, 05:03 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

I thought it was a crush gasket? I changed mine when i fitted the new exhaust as a new one was pennies
Old 04-09-2011, 05:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To clarify MB is refering to the doughnut on the front of the cat
There is a triangular crush gasket between the cat & first box - I'd replace it
There is also a copper crush o ring at the joint between the two back boxes - again I'd replace it
Upto you - you might get away with some jointing compound on them
Old 04-09-2011, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by MB
I was wondering what the small pipe coming off the exhaust near the cat does, i am thinking about get an after market exhaust and some i been looking at have this pipe to???
Old 04-09-2011, 05:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it has a fancy name but its supposed to help the resonence (spelling), if you take it off I think it changes the sound for the worse they say.

May invidia has one and a lot of other aftermarket have one inbetween the back boxes
Old 04-09-2011, 05:34 AM
UK Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by unclefester
I thought it was a crush gasket? I changed mine when i fitted the new exhaust as a new one was pennies
AFAIK it's not a crush gasket. The ring fits in a channel on the exhaust side. It's exactly the same type of gasket that Mugen supplies for the joint between the two rear sections. I've never replaced one and have changed exhausts several times without problems.

Originally Posted by mikey k
To clarify MB is refering to the doughnut on the front of the cat
There is a triangular crush gasket between the cat & first box - I'd replace it
There is also a copper crush o ring at the joint between the two back boxes - again I'd replace it
Upto you - you might get away with some jointing compound on them
There is no OEM Honda triangular gasket. If you had one Mikey, it was aftermarket and probably supplied with your decat/high flow cat.

Originally Posted by perky.8952
Originally Posted by MB' timestamp='1302352112' post='20447405
I was wondering what the small pipe coming off the exhaust near the cat does, i am thinking about get an after market exhaust and some i been looking at have this pipe to???
It's called a Helmholtz resonator.

Chris.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:45 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

It's a round soft metal ring. Looked like it would allow some small degree of movement in the pipework without causing a leak, it looked like it crushed it as it was tightened up or maybe it's just sprung into place under compression? For the price it was, it seemed churlish not to replace it, same as the gasket that goes between the cat and the downpipe - i think the whole lot including all the sprung bolts etc was less than 15 pounds.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:20 AM

Thanks for the help..... although.... I'm still confused! are we saying it is a small ring gasket between cat and exhaust?

Quick Reply: Was about to fit my Mugen AP2 exhaust.......