UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Abingdon Trackday

Old 04-19-2008, 09:16 AM
MBK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Abingdon Trackday

I just keep getting happier and happier with the S . It has so far been one of those cars where everything goes right. Firstly it was a bargain buy, then it performed amazingly well on one of my favourite jaunts across Wales last week and yesterday it completed the set by proving itself to be a stunning car on track.

Firstly a shout out for the organisers before the vids and story of the day. Motorsport Events are, in my experience, the company to use for road car trackdays. I read a lot on here about people being nervous to try trackdays, concern about driving standards, damage etc. MSE are absolutely strict about the rules, overtaking only on the left on straights (with consent, the other car must indicate/wave you past), no overtaking in braking zones. No timing or competition of any kind. Break the rules and you are black flagged and have to chat with the instructors, once is a warning but after that you are gone. It's the way it should be. The people at these vents are incredibly friendly, everyone wants to have a good time. They are one of the few organisers who seem to manage to attract people who understand what trackdays are really about. With people like Evo and Goldtrack you get a lot of ego about what cars people have blah blah. With Motorsports Events all I have found is help and advice.

For those who just want the video footage (each video is about 3-4 minutes) here it is, (pictures to follow when MSE send them through) I have added the story below:

Part 1 - Having some fun chasing down an MX5 and then a Caterham 7, an Elise 160 was hot on my tail throughout - a yellow flag ended our little duel when a TVR destroyed the cones track by ploughing straight on!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKT5MEe5ZNE

Part2 - slicing through some slower traffic, this was fun!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3Sm-6zksjc

Part 3 - initially a lap running with a Caterham 7, probably one of the quickest laps of the day. The S can really carry speed through the quicker corners! Then some random laps with other cars, including an Exige and Atom flying past at the end - there is always a bigger fish!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXW-M12FaVU

I chose Abingdon, as an Airfield day with plenty of run off, rather than a circuit mainly after all the stories of 'handling' issues with the S on this site. Happily I found the S impeccable - providing loads of feedback, massive grip and enough inspired grunt to keep a grin fixed to my face all day!

There is no doubt the car can be challenging, with cold tyres or a damp track the first corner (just after the Ambulance on the videos) can be a handful if you apply power too early. A quick session with one of Motorsports Events instructors soon corrected the error of my ways. Having been used to mainly FWD cars I was getting on the gas just a fraction too early - front wheel drive cars are all about nail the apex and use the throttle to pull you through. In the S this umm... 'technique' (eg lack of talent!) see you running wide and having a little moment of over steer. So after a couple of laps of being talked through the correct technique and applying the power just a fraction later the S (or should that be me!) was transformed. Literally half a second later on the throttle and the rear digs in and punches the nose around the corner. The difference in such a tiny change in driving style was staggering, there was suddenly more grip and composure everywhere on the track.

The power of the S really comes into its own around the next fast sweeping left, use the whole track and 4th is required just before the braking point. Back into third to sweep through a quick and scary corner (most spins occurred here on the day). Again wait for the exit before getting back on the throttle.

The next section is a cone chicane in the middle of a straight. Carry plenty of speed through the shallow right hander and then it's really just a touch on the brakes before rounding the cones and firing up the straight. Holding about 65mph in 3rd here took nerve but keeping the throttle planted meant just a little tyre squeal and slight twitch from the rear before flying up the next shorter part of the runway. You will see me overtake a lot of cars here, simply because the S really can carry massive speed if you take the right line, and you hit the VTEC zone as you get straight again.

Big on the brakes into the 90 degree left hander, tyres squealing, diff working hard to fire you out. Awesome fun! A slight surface change here adds to the excitement with a tiny bit of neutral drift on the exit of the corner, just keep the throttle in and allow the car to settle and all is fine. Through a cone chicane again, only place it really was a toss up between max in 2nd or letting the speed build in 3rd. Scream down the next mini straight, a great overtaking opportunity as the S can reach maximum revs in 3rd here with a good exit from the previous corner.

Through the final jink of cones where you can just about carry enough speed for 3rd before trying to judge the right entry speed to the first corner to start the lap again.

The S held more than it's own on track, way better than I honestly expected. Some cars were clearly much quicker, The Atom's (one day, one day!), Exige's and some of the kit cars were of course flying past. In reality though the S could stay with many of the VX220's, lower powered kit cars and was not far off the pace of an S1 Elise 160 (it took him a good few laps to catch me anyway!). I had a really good fun session with a supercharged VX220 which was slightly quicker than the S in terms of acceleration but I could match through the twisties.

All in all an adrenaline fuelled day. About
Old 04-19-2008, 09:23 AM

Nice Vid and write-up. Totally agree re Motorsport Events - Ed and Tasha very friendly and always remember you.

Looks like a good venue too for an airfield, might try this one myself as tyres are on way out.

John
Old 04-19-2008, 09:38 AM
MBK

Originally Posted by Rteyp,Apr 19 2008, 09:23 AM
Nice Vid and write-up. Totally agree re Motorsport Events - Ed and Tasha very friendly and always remember you.

Looks like a good venue too for an airfield, might try this one myself as tyres are on way out.

John
Great, nice to know other people find them the same. We have 3 cars on track with them next week - only possible with people you really trust to get it right.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:37 AM

impressive stuff looks like you enjoyed it, nice
Old 04-19-2008, 10:46 AM
MBK

Originally Posted by RISLAR,Apr 19 2008, 10:37 AM
impressive stuff looks like you enjoyed it, nice
Ooh now a supercharger...that would be nice to stop those pesky TVR's flying by on the straights...

I was thinking of coilovers, arb's, briaded hoses/pads as the first mods and then more power, did you do this sort of thing before adding the charger?
Old 04-19-2008, 10:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice & smooth - looks like a good day!
Old 04-19-2008, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by MBK,Apr 19 2008, 07:46 PM
Ooh now a supercharger...that would be nice to stop those pesky TVR's flying by on the straights...

I was thinking of coilovers, arb's, briaded hoses/pads as the first mods and then more power, did you do this sort of thing before adding the charger?
Not at all, its supprising what the OEM parts can handle. i've not needed to change anything in that area yet! mind i'm getting alot more wear, but i can live with that
Old 04-19-2008, 11:20 AM

braided hoses and RBF600 fliud is all the brakes
I put mine on a diet, added coilovers and lighter wheels before the SC.
only tracked it once with the SC on.
Looking forward to doing a few more this year!
Old 04-19-2008, 11:26 AM
MBK

Originally Posted by mikey k,Apr 19 2008, 11:20 AM

hose and RBF600 fliud is all the brakes
I put mine on a diet, added coilovers and lighter wheels before the SC.
only tracked it once with the SC on.
Looking forward to doing a few more this year!
Thanks both, good news! Looks like a mild brake work over and the SC then, and a set of R888's just for the odd second or 2 a lap bonus.

Anyone you recomend for fitting the SC, I'm no mechanic!
Old 04-19-2008, 11:28 AM

watch the tyres it will give you way more cornering speed and may casue you oil issues

Quick Reply: Abingdon Trackday