UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

80mph speed limit

Old 05-22-2012, 08:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pointless act.

conjestion is caused by slower moving cars pulling out causing the faster cars to choke up lane 3 or get he concertina effect as everyone slows down.
make it legal todo 80, and those who stick to the limit will increase their speed and so more issues occur.

it's not just cars, it's trucks too that pull out going slow. right now it's 16mph difference in speed. new law will be 26mph. thats somewhere in the 70% increase on closing speed.

better training and regular re-tests (5-10years), would be better imo. gets the bad drivers off the road, and improves safety which will have a knock on effect to reduced traffic and accidents.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:28 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm surprised at those who say that they think raising the speed limit to 80 is a bad idea.

A 10mph difference in closing speed is not going to make that much difference in my opinion and if there is congestion the traffic will limit the actual speed you can achieve anyway. Other European countries have an 80mph speed limit and they seem to survive daily driving.

What this change in the law would do is reflect reality. However, as you have a legally allowed 10% tolerance in your speedometer anyway it will mean that the new 'allowable' maximum speed will go up to 88mph. If this limit is strictly and rigorously enforced then i don't see a downside.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:46 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 4x4 freak
And dont even get me started on Undertaking, Should be a INSTANT 6 points, There is never any need for it,
Bollox, if someone undertakes you then chances are you are driving like a twat, sticking to lane 3 when there is no need to.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eSeM
Originally Posted by 4x4 freak' timestamp='1337703362' post='21720007

And dont even get me started on Undertaking, Should be a INSTANT 6 points, There is never any need for it,
Bollox, if someone undertakes you then chances are you are driving like a twat, sticking to lane 3 when there is no need to.

I think the problem is with mainly drivers who drive white vans and Audi's who think they have a god forsaken right to be at the head of the queue, or a few cars in front of you and therefore jump into every lane, cutting people up and then cutting into the car 2 ahead of you, causing them to brake and creating the domino affect of everyone slowing up.

However, like you, I undertake people if they are a genuine bellend who doesn't know to keep left. Especially middle lane hoggers when the inside lane is free and I am cruising in it, not going to go all the way to lane 3 to go back again.

However, those occasions are much rarer than the the impatient drivers cutting everyone up!
Old 05-23-2012, 08:26 AM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Me three in the 'undertaking when some a-hole doesn't understand the concept of the overtaking lane' posse.

If there is enough room for me to go left, forward, and then back right there was enough room for the twunt to move over in the first place. It's not that I think I should be at the front, it's just that YOU don't need to be condemning everyone to the speed that YOU want or holding them hostage at the whim of your (unnecessary) braking. Which creates the huge butterfly effect.

I think the primary reason that (most) European motorways flow so much better is that the majority of people move into the fast lane, do their business (overtake) and then move back over.

The tolls have an effect, largely because the money raised actually goes on maintaining the road, but still.

Time based speed limits would be a godsend. Blanket 50mph speed limits (with average cameras, naturally) working away catching John smith for heading to his night shift at 1am, on a deserted 3 lane motorway at 70mph (or more, but I tread carefully here!) is frankly, forced lunacy!
Old 05-23-2012, 08:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It always comes down to the middle lane hoggers, and if you speak to one they say I stay in the middle lane because its the safest?! Not a clue that all the other cars are swerving around him because he's in their way...
Old 05-23-2012, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by 4x4 freak
You speak to any Honest police officer as a friend or if they really honest when on duty,

80MPH is just about the limit before they will pull you,

On a bad day they may pull you at 75 but its wide spread knowledge that its 80,

Sure they AA posted something along these lines not long ago,

If it goes to 80MPH, There should be a 3MPH leway and thats it, Anything over and its points,

I do avoid motorways if i can (The S is made for the Twistys, Go and enjoy it ) But everytime i am on there i get plenty of people who dont know what the inside lane is,

If people used lanes as they should it would be a lot better way to travel, I would rather take a longer route and set off 10 Mins early now though

Rant over.
They won't notice you doing 80 ... unless you overtake them ! You are not going to get pulled by a traffic car for 80 unless you go past them or they are following you and you either don't see them or simply ignore them. Normal Traffic officers have far bigger fish to catch ! I am not including the speed camera vans in this of course .... their guidelines are rigid and far less ...

Many traffic officers who I know look for 3 figures or someone who is simply blind - if they don't see them they are not paying attention and are more likely to have an accident.

As for undertaking ... do it at 80 and get a ticket !
Old 05-23-2012, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by eSeM
Originally Posted by 4x4 freak' timestamp='1337703362' post='21720007

Well said. I'm sick and fed up of having to overtake some selfish prat camped out in the middle lane, when I should be able to pass them on the left.

Back on topic...

Let's make this nice and simple.
Raise the motorway speed limit to 80mph, allow undertaking and stop lowering all the other speed limits on other roads. Residential roads should be 30, not f**king, 20, 15 or 10mph. I dont give a monkies if there is a school or parade of shops. The roads are a danagerous place, take care when crossing them and teach your children to take care.

Some of us would like to make progress. That's why I driver a car. If I wanted to move about that slowly I'd walk or run everywhere.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:56 AM

I should add to my previous entry ... undertake and get a ticket when speeding and driving like a dick ... as opposed to undertaking carefully the idiot in the outside lane doing 10 less than the limit ....
Old 05-23-2012, 12:43 PM

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts

I thought these new limits were to trialled at first in certain areas, an would be dependant on the availability of over head gantries that could give variable limits, i.e in times of bad weather and heavy traffic the limits would reduce. Also there would be a far tighter adherance to the advised limit with less tolerance. I am sure I heard that on Radio 4.

"CLOGS" are a nuisance, but no one seems to do anything about them , lots of talk in places like this but no action from the relavant authorities. Perhaps we need some education as drivers certainly those who use the M11 do , maybe few more traffic please having the odd word with offenders or a few public information films. The new 4 lane sections of the M25 are a joke, its like there is a deadly virus only present in lane one, that especially affects BMW. Merc, Audis etc , even trucks seem to be now liable to infection and stay well clear of lane one

On another subject I see that on the M25 every maybe 6 or so of the new gantries have a nice new set of cameras, are these working yet, I see people whizzing past them at all sorts of speeds, the DVLA must be very busy collecting fines and awarding points if they are active , the road has all the distance markings painted.

Quick Reply: 80mph speed limit