UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

80mph speed limit

Old 05-21-2012, 10:18 AM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

I think the limit should stay at 70MPH. 90% of the time your are safe going over 70mph but the problems arise when you put slower moving vehicles into the equation.

At the moment you are only legally allowed to go 14mph quicker than a lorry at full chat but people still fail to give lorries drivers enough room or think about what they are doing. If you speed it up another 10mph then you give people even less thinking time.

I was all for upping the speed limits but when you see the way some people drive on the motorway then its a disaster waiting to happen IMO. If driving standards were better then great but with the way they are at the moment its not a good idea!
Old 05-21-2012, 10:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too many idiots on the roads for this to be safe.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:02 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

If you want the 80 limit you could be whisling in the wind as 100,000 sigs needed before they look at it, and so far 86, bit of a way to go.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm seeing an increasing number of people reducing their speed due to fuel costs. Went to Leeds the other week and lane one was packed whilst I was merrily overtaking people at 73mph in lane three, couple of years ago this would have been unheard of and lane three would have been 85-90mph

I don't think we should up the speed limit, I think we should target the lane hoggers! That way the folks who feel comfortable driving at the speed limit (and slightly above ) can go about our business whilst the 55mph brigade can sit in lane one causing less congestion and hopefully less accidents.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:54 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bassoctopus
Put it up to 80 and most people will do 95mph.
And the problem with that is?

Old 05-22-2012, 04:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bundle of Mayhem
I think we should shoot the lane hoggers!

Yes agree!
Old 05-22-2012, 04:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WinFreak
Originally Posted by Bundle of Mayhem' timestamp='1337685428' post='21719253
I think we should shoot the lane hoggers!

Yes agree!
This does my head in every day on the A14! 2 miles of traffic will sit in the fast lane backed up with the slow lane empty just because someone is passing a lorry. It's simple. Stay in the slow lane, move out when you have to pass and then move back in. It's not a difficult concept but so many people seem to struggle with it

Having recently had an accident on a dual carriage way I can see the argument for and against increasing the speed limit. Stopping distance and reaction time being the most important things in my opinion against it although most people as already said will happily to 85mph. I know at that speed my exhaust is quieter than at 70mph
Old 05-22-2012, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Bundle of Mayhem
I'm seeing an increasing number of people reducing their speed due to fuel costs. Went to Leeds the other week and lane one was packed whilst I was merrily overtaking people at 73mph in lane three, couple of years ago this would have been unheard of and lane three would have been 85-90mph

I don't think we should up the speed limit, I think we should target the lane hoggers! That way the folks who feel comfortable driving at the speed limit (and slightly above ) can go about our business whilst the 55mph brigade can sit in lane one causing less congestion and hopefully less accidents.

This is the correct answer
Old 05-22-2012, 07:30 AM

I think rather than worrying about some of the safest roads in Europe (motorways) we should focus on lowering speed limits in residential areas. As such, motorways are fine to be 80mph but reduce limits around estates to 20mph and around schools to 15mph. That is where most accidents occur and is also where the police should be ruthless with caught offenders. I.e. 6 or 9 points. You do not act like a mong around children.

So i am totally non plussed about the limit being increased to 80, you don't have to drive at 80 just as much as you don't have to drive at 70. Its a limit, not a goal. I just think we should target our most dangerous roads, not the safest. So country lanes and residential areas where people are more likely to be ambling along...
Old 05-22-2012, 08:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You speak to any Honest police officer as a friend or if they really honest when on duty,

80MPH is just about the limit before they will pull you,

On a bad day they may pull you at 75 but its wide spread knowledge that its 80,

Sure they AA posted something along these lines not long ago,

If it goes to 80MPH, There should be a 3MPH leway and thats it, Anything over and its points,

I do avoid motorways if i can (The S is made for the Twistys, Go and enjoy it ) But everytime i am on there i get plenty of people who dont know what the inside lane is,

And dont even get me started on Undertaking, Should be a INSTANT 6 points, There is never any need for it,

If people used lanes as they should it would be a lot better way to travel, I would rather take a longer route and set off 10 Mins early now though

Rant over.

Quick Reply: 80mph speed limit