UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

72 month service yesterday at main dealer

Old 07-26-2008, 12:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by texasjohn,Jul 26 2008, 08:25 AM
Should have checked on pick up etc. I walked around the car before leaving to just check it out but I didn't think to look under the bonnet.
You state here that you didn't check you can't know it was them?

John I am gutted for you just trying to be objective
Old 07-26-2008, 12:09 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Spark plugs cost about
Old 07-26-2008, 12:36 AM

[QUOTE=AquilaEagle,Jul 26 2008, 09:09 AM] Spark plugs cost about
Old 07-26-2008, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by s2k_Nut,Jul 26 2008, 09:02 AM
You state here that you didn't check you can't know it was them?

John I am gutted for you just trying to be objective
No problem Paul, appreciate your clarifying the matter. You are of course correct, cannot be 100% sure, but then you shouldnt have to check the car with a fine toothcomb when picking up, surely? In retrospect I wish I had, but hindsight is a wonderful thing. The car is not A1, but VVGC for the year and mileage (38k) IMHO.

I mean I didn't check under the bonnet when I picked the car up from the dealership, although I did 'walkaround' the car to check the exterior. If you check the North Texas forums you will see stories of front wings being scratched at service visits as sometimes the techs have forgotten to cover this part of the paintwork when carrying out service. to be honest I was more looking for this than anything else.

The car has been (not many)* miles since the work was carried out, driven from the dealership to home, then parked up overnight. When I take it back later for their inspection the mileage will be consistent with only that journey..

I cant be 100% sure of course, and cant prove it, but the chip and impact mark is consistent with it being dropped IMHO. It may be that the cover was dropped (even lightly) and the engine vibes from the journey home have caused the paint to flake.

Like I say, no expert but as part of my job I review customer warranty claims (hydromech engine control products) and occasionally we have a unit back from an airline that has been ripped off its mounts or dropped and the paint flakes off of the casting in much the same way.

*not stating exact journey as there are a number of dealerships in the area and I will not name and shame until they have had chance to give an opinion.

I think a new cam cover is a bit too much to ask for and I wouldnt request this, but it may be they can swap it for one on a similar mileage car that is for sale used within the dealership network?
Old 07-26-2008, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by RedUn,Jul 26 2008, 08:40 AM
I'd be wanting a new cam cover personally.

Let us know how you get on!
Sorry I meant to quote this in the post above, but please see comment above.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Engine bay isn't exactly pristine A spray with WD40 occasionally stops a lot of the alloy corrosion. If there is corrosion under the paint it will flake off easily.

I use this stuff:CSP Fluid
Spray on anything metal that corrodes, even brake discs, when you apply the brakes it burns off with no detrimental effect.
It seems similar to the stuff that is coated on new parts when you buy them.

I would find a company on a local Ind. estate that does metalworking/spraying/polishing and have it stripped and polished or re-painted. About
Old 07-26-2008, 05:34 AM

all sorted to my satisfaction - plugs renewed and as for the red paint we looked a bit closer and the paint is in fact just lifting off the cover with age! How embarrassed did I feel ? Doh!

I think it is just a function of the camcover having been disturbed and I met the master tech who did the work yesterday, nice bloke and certainly more than confident to take car back there in the future!

Feel a bit silly about it tbh but spark plugs issue I was just annoyed with at first because I wasn't told about up front - as I say had they said beforehand I would probably have agreed to it!!

All is well
Old 07-26-2008, 05:51 AM

Thanks for coming back with the full story John, glad all is well.

Now go out and do some driving in this glorious summer weather ... I am just off out as we speak!
Old 07-27-2008, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

It's good they sorted it for you in a way that met to your satisfaction John

to the dealer
Old 07-28-2008, 01:38 AM

Glad you got it all sorted; I personally get a bit paranoid when leaving the car with the local Honda dealer. I always imagine that the young tech lads'll be ragging it up and down the local roads for fun

This might be taking the paranioa a bit far but a few snaps with a digital camera prior to dropping the car off with them isnt a bad thing; easily wiped if the cars fine when retiurned; I started doing this after I had my previous Civic back with rusty wheel nuts when I was certain the car had nice shiny rust free nuts when I dropped it off.

I also make a point of jotting down the mileage when I park up in the dealers drop off bay and then check to see the diff when I pick the car up again; Depending on what I've had done dictates if I'd quiz them about the mileage.

Quick Reply: 72 month service yesterday at main dealer