UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

4 or 5 previous owners - thoughts?

Old 07-24-2008, 01:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 or 5 previous owners - thoughts?

I've been looking for an S2K recently...

I have seen a couple of ads that look good (around 200/2001 models), but having spoken to the sellers, one has had 4 previous owners and another has had 5 previous owners, (the car sounds in mint condition)...

I'm wondering if this is such a bad thing? I know the S2K isn't to everyones taste, so older cars may have more previous owners than usual. Also, new owners tend to fix any problems on a recently bought car, so may be a blessing in disguise.

What do you think?
Old 07-24-2008, 01:29 AM

That's 8 years .. first owner keeps for a few years, and then the car gets cycled after every summer?

Sounds reasonable.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine had 4 previous UK owners, plus at least one in Japan.

It's a sports car: people buy them on a whim in summer and then change their minds later on.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:42 AM

It's never bothered me, as long as you can see evidence that it has been regularly maintained and the usual kind of work for a car of that age done.

Bear in mind that for a lot of people an S2000 is a second or "weekend" car and so they may well change it quite quickly, as Bibbs alludes to above.

Multiple ownership in quick succession can be a concern if it suggests that the car is a lemon and needs lots doing to it, but if you ask the right questions and the service history stacks up then it wouldn't worry me.

(I bought a 10 year old 911 with 7 previous owners and wasn't in the slightest bit concerned as all the mechnical stuff checked out - it's just in the nature of some cars to change hands more frequently)
Old 07-24-2008, 02:22 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Lurking Lawyer,Jul 24 2008, 09:42 AM
It's never bothered me, as long as you can see evidence that it has been regularly maintained and the usual kind of work for a car of that age done.

Bear in mind that for a lot of people an S2000 is a second or "weekend" car and so they may well change it quite quickly, as Bibbs alludes to above.

Multiple ownership in quick succession can be a concern if it suggests that the car is a lemon and needs lots doing to it, but if you ask the right questions and the service history stacks up then it wouldn't worry me.

(I bought a 10 year old 911 with 7 previous owners and wasn't in the slightest bit concerned as all the mechnical stuff checked out - it's just in the nature of some cars to change hands more frequently)

If its been maintained properly there should be nothing wrong it.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:26 AM

You should have bought mine a few weeks ago - one previous owner beside myself
Old 07-24-2008, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Type R,Jul 24 2008, 11:26 AM
You should have bought mine a few weeks ago - one previous owner beside myself
Yeah.. I did have my eye on it. I love Red.. IMHO the best colour when in top nick but it looks like Silverstone is the way I'm going.

I was tempted by yours, but (and I hope this doesn't upset anyone), I have noticed that the earlier S2Ks are seriously suffering in the current dead car market. I've been keeping an eye on a few cars through Piston Heads, and I've seen them go from
Old 07-24-2008, 05:59 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The number of owners wouldn't put me off. An immaculate, well looked after car IS, an immaculate, well looked after car, regardless of owners.
For all you know a car with 1 previous owner may have had the arse driven out of it. Number of owners shouldn't matter.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:12 AM

I'm the 4th owner and mines a MY00 with 46k on the clock.. I agree though, its the history of the car that important as people who are only keeping it short term may not have things done than if they were planning on keeping it longer.. Just getting mine serviced and then testing the water on autotrader...
Old 07-24-2008, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Dembo,Jul 24 2008, 10:42 AM
Mine had 4 previous UK owners, plus at least one in Japan.

It's a sports car: people buy them on a whim in summer and then change their minds later on.
Four previous owners on mine too (2002)

Quick Reply: 4 or 5 previous owners - thoughts?