UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

2007 Alloy wheel centre caps, restore!

Old 03-10-2014, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Alloy wheel centre caps, restore!

Noticed my center caps were in a pretty corroded and to be frank, horrendous state!

So thought I would get in touch with my local Honda dealership for a cost to replace... Anyway... talked the problem over with my Dad who reckoned we could have a crack at restoring them!

The original plan was to simply sandblast, paint and lacquer however after a design meeting decided we had the kit to try something different and hopefully do a half decent job!

So here we go, the plan:

Stage 1
Sandblast

Stage 2
Apply filler

Stage 3
Prime and paint

Stage 4
Design and apply overlays

__

This afternoon I have completed stage 1, started on stage 2 and put my Dad to work designing and cutting the overlays!

In the sandblaster:

All blasted:

As you can see quite badly pitted:

Applying the filler:

First layer complete:

Here is our first attempt at creating overlays - Green center with separate green Honda logo. Green closest to hand lol:

Slightly larger center- Applied directly after sandblasting, pitting Isn't too visible:

Honda logo's - Decided to see how the 'stock' design looked first:

The plan at the moment is to level off the caps, prime and lacquer then apply a silver center with the black Honda logo over the top; see how that works out - Updates to follow
Old 03-10-2014, 11:40 AM

You can prize off the metal centre caps to reveal the plastic underneath, the metal is very thin, a bit late now though.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:06 PM

Received 254 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Wobbly
You can prize off the metal centre caps to reveal the plastic underneath, the metal is very thin, a bit late now though.

Beaten to the post above, I have a set I was going to restore but they're still sitting around awaiting my attention.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:21 PM

So do most tend to detach the metal and just stick an overlay on the remaining plastic face?

Noticed couple of members have imported a new set of genuine Honda center caps from US, is this common practice?

Did a quick search but couldn't find any answers
Old 03-11-2014, 12:39 AM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

I peeled off the metal and used some BOSNY "Chrome" spray then vinyl 'H' stickers - it's obviously not real metal but it's also not just silver paint and I'm pretty happy with the results
Old 03-11-2014, 01:11 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I just keyed mine with some sand paper, spray on primer, then sprayed them black, then sprayed on the lacquer, and added some H stickers I got from ebay for about £3. It's been almost a year and they look great still!

The worst part on them is the scratches from the sand paper - I shouldn't have bothered and should have just gone straight with primer!
Old 03-12-2014, 02:43 AM

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/104..._fromsearch__1

Here is my refurb. 2 winters on they still look completely oem and faultless. Well worth the extra effort I don't like the painted look (each to there own though!)
Old 03-12-2014, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by BlackFerret
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/104..._fromsearch__1

Here is my refurb. 2 winters on they still look completely oem and faultless. Well worth the extra effort I don't like the painted look (each to there own though!)
This is really interesting!

Am I right in thinking you have completely removed the aluminium face to expose the plastic base and put a layer of speed tape across the top?

Have some speed tape but doubt it is wide enough for this job lol
Old 03-13-2014, 12:18 AM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Nice one BlackFerret - I've never heard of speed tape, is this ths stuff you used ? http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ium/index.html

(I'm not about to re-do mine, but good to know for the future)
Old 03-13-2014, 01:37 AM

I think it was, pretty sure some asked the same Question in the thread and I posted a link.
Originally Posted by Harlo
This is really interesting!

Am I right in thinking you have completely removed the aluminium face to expose the plastic base and put a layer of speed tape across the top?

Have some speed tape but doubt it is wide enough for this job lol
Yes I took them right back to plastic then sanded them smooth.

this picture was taken yesterday so you can tell how well they have lasted

Quick Reply: 2007 Alloy wheel centre caps, restore!