UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

2 weeks old (almost), 700 miles and first thoughts.

Old 03-15-2004, 05:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to add to the thread I have had RNBP for a few weeks now and I have no major gripes with the car.

I'm not worried by the WIND NOISE, my GEAR don't GRIND, I only listen to the RADIO, The STEERING WHEEL is fine, probably won't use the AIR CON 'till it gets warm, HEATER BUTTON is a bit of a pain so will sort this as soon as I see the bit of gear I want to fix it, HIDDEN PETROL CAP RELEASE my dealer showed me that before I left the showroom as he did with all other controls - as per the handbook. In fact I had to sign to say it had been explained!!!

I find the car to be an excellent drive, very reponsive, no over or understeer, reasonable driving position, good visibility except to side/rear, easy day-to-day servicing.

The only problem I have is getting in and out with the top on! However, the required muscles are gradually building up to the effort!
Old 03-15-2004, 06:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rich - the gearbox does loosen up a bit, although for a direct gearbox it's one of the best around (mate of mine designs gearboxes!)

It's always going to be a bit clunky when cold, but should be a lot smoother when warmed

Other point - windnoise with the hardtop is very common, it reduces quite a lot with the soft-top up There are quite a few techniques to get the hardtop to sit better - most involve two people and silicon lubricant

Finally, any niggles become part of the car once you've had a blast, roof off, in the summer surrounded by another 50 S2000's Mine's 2 years old, has 48,000 miles and still goes just as well, if not better than when it was new
Old 03-15-2004, 12:15 PM

Originally posted by mjirvine
BUT the headlamp washers are much more annoying!!!! pull the fuse ASAP!
Or alternatively do what I did. Lift the button out and disconnect the wires from the bottom of it. It's just a push-fit connector so it's easy to put back if you ever need to. Much easier than fiddling about for the right fuse IMHO.

Si
Old 03-15-2004, 12:26 PM

i want to be able to disconnect the light washers from the steering column switch but still maintain the option of squirting the lights using the dash push switch ... any ideas?
Old 03-15-2004, 12:59 PM

I have an my01 but I a lot of these are common grumbles.
The gear box is a real Jekyll n Hyde, it is HIDEOUS when it's cold but once it has heated up a bit it is gorgeous (a bit like like getting drunk with the missus)

I have gotten in the habit of starting the car and putting the aircon on right away to help the engine heat up a bit faster.

I'm 6'1 and the drving postion is fine, if anything I would say you sit a bit too high, but other than that it is good. I went into the test drive knowing I couldn't adjust the rake and tilt or raise or lower the seat, and if the driving position didn't suit me, I'd have ditched it, rather than let it annoy me later.

One thing and I think most folks will agree, is that you always start up too far away from the steering wheel in this car, move your seat a bit closer, just a notch and you will be surprised at how much of a difference it makes to steering and gear change.

Finally get yourself along to the S"KJ mini meets, you learn a lot about the handling of the car as well as loads of first hand information (from"old timers" like Iain)

Plus this is Scotland and I've said it before, would be a shame to live here and not make use of the "facilities". hundreds of miles of test track
Old 03-15-2004, 01:00 PM

RichardB

I've had my S for 2 weeks now and 650 miles.

My only qualm really relates to the sometimes crunchy gear change from 1st to 2nd.

But this lessens as the car warms up.

Overall, I feel the car is increasingly running better and is becomming both smoother and tighter.

I think that this is also a function of me becoming used to it.

Enjoy!

Old 03-15-2004, 01:01 PM

is it just me or the s2ki database going to Sh*t tonight?
Old 03-15-2004, 01:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They've been having problems with the gallery, so I guess they've been messing around with the servers.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:22 PM

See! the old timers are useful
Old 03-15-2004, 01:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's twice in one thread!
I'm not old, I've just partied more than most

Quick Reply: 2 weeks old (almost), 700 miles and first thoughts.