UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

2 weeks old (almost), 700 miles and first thoughts.

Old 03-14-2004, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 weeks old (almost), 700 miles and first thoughts.

Purchased: 02/03/2004
Miles: 711 miles

Unfortunately, due to lack of storage for the hard top, most of those miles have been with it on! Damn!

Still, I've done a fair bit of mileage and it's been fantastic, it's great to drive, whether it be speeding along on the roads to the west cost (photos soon of the beauty sitting in Skye) or just jaunting through the streets of Edinburgh. Boy, have I been tempted ever since racing an S2K through Edinburgh in Project Gotham Racing 2!

I've noticed a few things though, and before I go back to the dealer I thought I'd share them and see what everyone else thinks.

Now, I know some of these are very insignificant, and may well just be features, but I've done close to 600 miles in a weekend, and bought an expensive car which drives beautifully. I have to be picky! I'd appreciate some thoughts on the more serious issues though, and if other drivers have noticed them, or if I should go back to the dealers.
  • Grinding gears
  • Wind noise
  • Lack of steering wheel adjusment
  • Artificially intelligent Air Con
  • Limitations of the Audio button
  • Positioning of the rear windowwing mirror heater button
  • The hidden petrol button
  • Jewelultra Diamondbright paint

Grinding gears
Probably the most noticeable, especially in low gears or engaging first from stationary. You can often hear the first gear clunking in from beneath the car, and switching to second or third you can feel the gears grinding together before engaging. I've ensured that I'm pushing the clutch right to the floor, and become very aware of that and I've tried different ways of changing gears, pausing before engaging, changing hard, etc. Still it's apparent. The noise on first and the grinding feeling through the gear stick on second and third.

Wind noise
At speed there's a definite wind noise from behind my head. Probably where the rear column of the hard top fits into the body. My girlfriend has noticed this on her side too.

Lack of steering wheel adjusment
I'm quite tall, and it's a real shame that the steering wheel just doesn't move to give a slightly better driving angle, for me, it could be moved up very slightly.

Artificially intelligent Air Con
Sometimes, when you turn the fan on, the Air Con comes on, sometimes it doesn't. Okay...I admit I haven't read the manual properly yet, just too busy driving! Very odd one.

Limitations of the Audio button
It just presses? I remember thinking that when I realised. I thought a button that big and sticking out would do more than cycle through the CD and radio stations one after the other, but apparently, it does.

Positioning of the rear windowwing mirror heater button
It's so easy when changing gear, or just resting your arm on the centre panel, to accidently switch on this button.

The hidden petrol button
Boy was that funny. I got noticed in the Petrol station searching for that thing. "New Car?", "Course it bloody is, think I'd be reading the manual to find the petrol button otherwise??!" - Okay...I didn't say that...at least he said it was a cool car!

Jewelultra Diamondbright paint
What does this do exactly? Now I've had it described that it "keeps it like it just came out of the Dealers", and that "it stops the dirt sticking to the paint". Well, the dirts still there. However, if I'm right, it just means when I do wash it, it looks like it's been newly waxed.

So there you go, that's all I could find. I won't be really picky and try and find the smallest detail, like you can't wash the headlights separately from the windscreen

I mean it is a fabulous car, and I'm loving driving it. It's so much better to drive than the MR2, and it really does what you want, it's so responsive. I've read so many times from people sayiing you'll just want to drive it anywhere and for the smallest reasons...well I drove my girlfriend to see her parents tonight...and then drove back by myself. I've definitely caught this bug!
Old 03-14-2004, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Wind Noise - can be reduced with some wiond blockers or headrests, and or a full heigh or 7/8 height screen from ricks2k.com

Audio Button - more of a styling thing I think - look at the shape of that section of dash - it matches exactly the other side with the engine start button. you could search for posts by DJ Qube - he does a mod for that button which will do more.

Air con - comes on when you turn the setting to windscreen and feet or just windscreen automatically - that is a feature
Old 03-14-2004, 02:15 PM

Hi Rich, mine's 8 weeks and 2500 miles, and we share a name too.

I get a clunk, but no grind. I think this is normal. It feels right as in feeling the mechanics of it, and not like something's hitting the wrong spot. Gearboxes often loosen up after miles.

Haven't got a hardtop.

It's a pain. I'm 6'3" and would like to raise the wheel an inch to get it off my legs.

It comes on if you turn the dial to the windscreen de-mist positions. That's good. The annoying bit is that it doesn't turn off when you turn away from those settings.

It's kack. It should be a joystick and have more functionality. Honda could do this, and still keep the control panel symmetry.

Never knocked it. Probably would if it was raised.

Anti theft device I like that. I'd read enough here about it not be caught out.

Dunno. I use Autoglym, and lots swear by the Zs.

The headlight/screenwash thing is a pain. Especially as there's a separate button that does exactly the same as the screenwash on the steering column stalk. They should have been kept separate.

I drove 15 miles to get petrol yesterday, even though I had 60 miles left, and there was a petrol station 8 miles away along less interesting roads
Old 03-14-2004, 02:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Richard.

Nice write up. Can't comment on too much as you've got an 04 GT.
But,

Artiificially Intellegent Aircon.
There is actually a logic behind the way it works. Just don't ask me whose logic. You can however switch off the automatic function.
This thread explains it.

Oh, and BTW get yourself along to a JockMeet, we're not as nuts as we sound
Old 03-14-2004, 02:22 PM
MrV

Limitations of the Audio button

Know what you mean still try to twist it

Lack of steering wheel adjusment

Only a short arse so doesnt really effect me

Wind noise

tend to have the top down 99.9% of the time but think that the S is alot quieter with the top down than up
Old 03-14-2004, 02:26 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by richardb

Grinding gears - had the same noise when i first started driving mine and still "get it" if i haven't driven the S for a while.
Old 03-14-2004, 02:49 PM

Owned mine since the end of Jan 04 and yes I have come across some of the issues you mention. The gear change is a little noisy but this kind of compliments the drive, if you know what I mean. The wind noise is far less than I expected though.

My last car was a BM coupe ( ) and the S does rattle a little more, and I put my first 600ml of oil in this weekend after 3100 miles

But

It's a sportscar and it's a more than pleasant compromise
Old 03-14-2004, 03:04 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by richardb

Grinding gears
Probably the most noticeable, especially in low gears or engaging first from stationary. You can often hear the first gear clunking in from beneath the car, and switching to second or third you can feel the gears grinding together before engaging. I've ensured that I'm pushing the clutch right to the floor, and become very aware of that and I've tried different ways of changing gears, pausing before engaging, changing hard, etc. Still it's apparent. The noise on first and the grinding feeling through the gear stick on second and third.

Positioning of the rear windowwing mirror heater button
Old 03-14-2004, 03:34 PM

Can't comment about the 04, but on my 03 the gearbox is pretty crappy when cold, but as soon as its warm its slick, very slick.
Old 03-15-2004, 04:20 AM

Thanks for the responses so far guys. Let me try to go through them all, but first I have to say that I am enjoying the car and loving driving it, hence the offers to drive the girlfriend everywhere!

AquilaEagle
Cheers for those answers. Note that the wind noise is being heard with the hardtop on.

I'm on top of the DJ Qube search, sounds interesting, although I do loathe mods on and in cars...apart from the stereo of course. I'm still searching for a good MD unit that will operate with the in car controls.

Thanks for the AirCon update, as MunkeyBoy said, I should have RTFM! I will tonight...promise! That is unless I get out and drive it!

Richieh
Hey Rich! What name do we share?...ermm...oh yeh! That one! (Kidding!).

I hope it does loosen up. I'm going to let the garage know anyway, just in case it becomes an issue later on.

6'3"? Taller than me then, so yeh, you must find it annoying. Still, driving it yesterday and trying to be ultra aware, it feels like a lovely snug fit.

Thanks for the AirCon info too. I'll keep my eye on it. Being tall means you can't see the light hidden behind the steering wheel too! Damn.

Cool, at least I'm not the only one that thinks there could be more out of that button.

Yeh...the light washing is annoying, again, at least I'm not the only really fussy one about!

The petrol button is hard enough to find to be a good anti-theft device. Good stuff.

Yeah! Short journeys seem not to exist anymore do they?

eibutler
Thanks for the comment, you should see my letters of complaint!

I'll try and get to a Jock meet soon. I'm looking to buy a new flat next, so time is squeezed between loads of work and flat hunting.

MrV
Love this comment:
the S is alot quieter with the top down than up

MunkeyBoy
Right, I'll try practicing being harder on the clutch and see if that kills it. Cheers.

Aha! You have heard the noise too! Yeah, I know, proper sports car. Still, exactly why I am being fussy.

Dinner lady arms?! Get out of here! I'll have you know I work out on a regular basis!

The petrol button is well hidden.

I am enjoying driving it, I was trying to make that clear from the start. However, I am a big complainer (My Dad calls himself Mr Angry from Portlethen, and he calls me Mr Angry from Leith!) and a huge believer in Customer Service. If something isn't right, I will make sure the company know about it and try and get it fixed. My girlfriend thinks it's endearing...wonder how long that will last!

Oh, and the paint, have you had experience of this before? I'm keen to find out more about it.

Fieldl
Shouldn't be a compromise though, it should be a step up. I agree though, the wind noise is a lot less, and after 600 miles round trip I was a lot more used to it.

Glad you moved on from a BM! Hope you are too!

mjirvine
Cheers dude, I am enjoying it, and more than just! So chances are that the gears might settle down after a while. I'll see how that goes, but I'll still make sure they are aware of the issue.

moff
Again, thanks for the comments on the gears. See above.

Cheers guys!

Quick Reply: 2 weeks old (almost), 700 miles and first thoughts.