UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

2 month old TCT playing up

Old 08-21-2011, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the heads-up, Simon. I'll take a look. Having plonked a H22 into an EG civic, and swapped the cambelt on a Hilux Surf twice in a weekend, I'm no stranger to spanners.

However I AM getting quite lazy in my old age

Basically if I pay someone else to do it, that's my suspension budget gone - so I'd rather not!
Old 08-22-2011, 06:47 AM

My tct has just gone again after 18 months I hope it's not needing a chain
Old 08-22-2011, 11:42 AM
Administrator

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

There is definitely an issue with TCTs, I know of 2 others that have been replaced in very few miles.

If you bought your TCT from Honda, or it is a genuine part, get it back to the dealer and ask them to investigate. Get them to send them off for investigation.

Do replacement parts have any form of warranty for that single part?
Old 08-22-2011, 11:58 AM

Received 134 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by keith2.2
Basically if I pay someone else to do it, that's my suspension budget gone - so I'd rather not!
I've already done my suspension, so I have to DIY the chain, pulley & guides soon! Brand new TCT and mine still makes a racket when warm. Smooth as silk when stone cold.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:35 PM

Received 134 Likes on 113 Posts

Question for someone who's done the guides/chain already: Do you need the pulley holder tool, or can you get away with putting the car in gear and standing on the brakes?

Thanks
Chris
(scuse the thread hijack!)
Old 08-22-2011, 01:12 PM

I borrowed the tool from my local dealer, or you could wrap a leather belt around the pulley with the buckle held on the front shock bolt, I think Lovegroova suggested this method

The job itself is not that bad, no need to remove the cylinder head and remember the bolt for the belt tensioner pulley is left handed.

Joe
Old 08-22-2011, 01:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chrispayze
Do you need the pulley holder tool, or can you get away with putting the car in gear and standing on the brakes?
IIRC, someone managed to break a Honda crank pulley removal tool...you need a feck load of torque to undo it. I know that KawasakiVTEC borrowed one from TTS.

There is the ol' stick a breaker bar on it and turn the engine over trick Not one for me however...

...I'd get it up in the air and put a socket/bar on the bolt, then 'apply' a big f**k off piece of metal to the bar...ninja style Believe it or not...this method has worked countless times, with no damage to the vehicles or crank bolt...it's the shock that frees it up

Don't forget to purchase some sump sealant, as that needs to come off as well...there was a recent thread by TangoVTEC??? about which one to use.

If I were doing this job, I'd also replace the oil pump, it's chain and the pump chain tensioner
Old 08-22-2011, 03:07 PM

Sorry to go off topic but is there a particular mileage when you may need to change the chain?
Old 08-22-2011, 10:35 PM

The chain itself is supposedly not a service item.

S2K Eire - care to give a brief description of how you went about it without removing the head? I must admit, it looked a bit OTT, I had anticipated rocker cover and rockers off, then front engine cover off and that should give access?

Also saves on replacing the HG and studs...

It wouldn't be the first time a Honda Manual had been totally OTT on how to do something.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:09 PM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by S2k Eire
I borrowed the tool from my local dealer, or you could wrap a leather belt around the pulley with the buckle held on the front shock bolt, I think Lovegroova suggested this method

The job itself is not that bad, no need to remove the cylinder head and remember the bolt for the belt tensioner pulley is left handed.

Joe
Not me, my method is "take it to the dealer". It works out a lot cheaper than "doing" it myself

Quick Reply: 2 month old TCT playing up