UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

1stLotus Day Writeup.

Old 12-01-2004, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Nice write up Rahul - where are the pics?
Old 12-01-2004, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sammyc,Dec 1 2004, 02:22 PM
Rahula!

Watched it now (in snips etc as at work). Good work dude, although you do seem video effect happy at the beginning !

How many mm of tyre was taken out at 11:20 and was that you arse out at 20:44??!?

Video effects are fun though. I was going to add a narration and soundtract and thought better of it! I was thinking I would need new tyres as my rears are worn but I still have about 4mm left so not bad. Good thing it was slippy. I am pretty impressive at 20.44 right?

Originally Posted by Amstrad2000,Dec 1 2004, 04:34 PM
that video looks really good, what camera do you use BTW? I noticed you zoomed in near the beginning, most of the digicams I've been looking at don't support zooming whilst recording.
I am using a JVC DV camcorder and bullet cams on the inside shots of the car. I did take my still camera too but never did take any pics. I think Nigel did take a few but I haven't seen any. If you have any more questions about the camera just ask.

Originally Posted by san2000,Dec 1 2004, 06:29 PM
How does this compare to the academy days in the sense of variation of exercises?
Do you think that it was adequately intensive and you came away as better drivers than you did when you came away from the Academy days?....
For me this day was great, much much better than the Academy day. I did moan a bit about the lack of any benefit for me from the Academy day and the main differences between the two are:

More 1-1 time with intructor
less # of cars therefore more fun
lots of hands on time trying the different things

So for me anyway it was money well spent. I would go as far as to say that it was equivalent to at least 4-5 Academy days. Yes, I did come away a better driver by 100%. Am I in complete control of the car? No. Will I try this stuff on public roads? No. I have more to learn about car control and am booked in again to advance further from where I left off.

Originally Posted by san2000,Dec 1 2004, 07:03 PM
Just seen the video.
Most useful bit was seeing Andy's steering while getting the car going sideways and I've realised where I keep going wrong is only turning the wheel by 90 or 180 degrees at the most. He seems to be turning it by AT LEAST 360.
Really need to find myself a large car park and try these things myself!

Nice job Rahul.
Cheers If you look at my spins you will see that I correct the slide for a second but when I start to spin out I bring the steering back to the straight instead of applying even more lock. However by the end of the day I only had one spin out as I was moving the steering wheel so much more.

Originally Posted by AquilaEagle,Dec 1 2004, 07:39 PM
Nice write up Rahul - where are the pics?
I refer you to the answer I gave a short while ago.
Old 12-01-2004, 11:47 AM

What was more impressive was the next exercise! Same situation approaching at 80 mph. Hit the brakes hard and steer round the corner! Even more oversteer and far more stable! It acutally turns better under braking!
Mikey - this is hard to visualise 'cos you would expect the braking to unbalance the car and cause it to spin and I guess if you stamped on the brakes that probably would be the result.
But would I be right in thinking that 'cos you are using progressive braking, the beneficial effects you get from the speed you lose, outweighs the negative effects of unbalancing of the car ?
Old 12-01-2004, 12:37 PM

At last, managed to find you guys

I'm the chap who drove the //M and must say that it was a pleasure to meet you friendly s2000 owners.

The day was a good laugh and I learned loads. Liked the Hondas as well

I did get a bit sick towards the end of the day, but that was the down the instructor sliding the car around the circuit and no I didn't puke

Ruhul when you said that the //M's suspension was soft, what did it lack? - I find that the suspension is figety and did experience some body roll on the high speed oversteer. Maybe I need to Schnitzer it.

Nice to meet you guys...

Manmeet
Old 12-01-2004, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by manmeet,Dec 1 2004, 09:37 PM
Ruhul when you said that the //M's suspension was soft, what did it lack? - I find that the suspension is figety and did experience some body roll on the high speed oversteer. Maybe I need to Schnitzer it.

Nice to meet you guys...

Manmeet
Hi Fella

Good of you to join us. I think you should get yourself an S! If I was to compare your car to mine, well you did chicken out and didn't sit with me , you would have been able to tell quite a bit of difference. The suspension on the M was softer which in turn made it roll a lot more, it felt very comfy inside but still as good as when I intially thought about getting one a few years back. You car is a nice little thing so these comments are not insults but more observations. I do think, if you could live with it that is, to stiffen it up a bit more to get less roll and more feel what the car is doing. However you drive it everyday so only you can make that call.

Rahul
Old 12-01-2004, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by rahula,Dec 1 2004, 08:18 PM
much much better than the Academy day.
At the start of the day when I first heard Rahula talking down the Academy day I thought "strange answer". However after doing the 1st Lotus Day I would have to agree with him.

I couldn't put my finger on it but I now realise what the problem was with the academy day. We did not get a proper feel for the car ie when it starts to oversteer and understeer, and how much throttle,turn to put it right.

On this day the best thing for me is having the instructer sit in the car whilst you are driving. By the end of the day I could feel when the car started to oversteer and understeer.

BTW absolute vid Rahul. Nice one
Old 12-01-2004, 02:31 PM

another thing

Understeer. I was getting loads of this when it was wet. Andy said this was because I had old tyres on the front, and he commented that there was a big difference between the other two cars-both Rahul & Matt felt it difficult to get understeer.

But when the track dried up in the afternoon boy what a difference. little to no understeer.

Apparently , according to Andy, tyres go out of date after 18 months. Mine were nearly 2 years old on the front (new on the back)

I had a service the day after I got back-front tyres are now illegal. I'm changing them tomorrow
Old 12-01-2004, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Moggy,Dec 1 2004, 03:31 PM
Apparently , according to Andy, tyres go out of date after 18 months. Mine were nearly 2 years old on the front (new on the back).

I had a service the day after I got back-front tyres are now illegal. I'm changing them tomorrow.
What you putting on?

Make/size.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by GTFCTIM,Dec 2 2004, 01:58 AM
What you putting on?

Make/size.
the bog standard s02's
Old 12-02-2004, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by Moggy,Dec 1 2004, 11:24 PM
At the start of the day when I first heard Rahula talking down the Academy day I thought "strange answer". However after doing the 1st Lotus Day I would have to agree with him.
Ah, now I understand why you had that puzzled, questiioning and horrified look on your face when I said that about the Academy Days.

Quick Reply: 1stLotus Day Writeup.