UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

1st Lotus Day

Old 03-28-2006, 12:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 1st Lotus Day

After the numerous recommendations on here for the 1st Lotus training day and my desire to learn a little bit more about the handling of the S, I went on that course yesterday.

It was amazing. Andy Walsh was brilliant.

As the people that have been on his course will know, he slowly introduced a number of different techniques throughout the day. Virtually all of the time spent either driving or learning from watching the other drivers.

The weather was perfect, damp all day with spots of rain to keep it that way.

I was very surprised at how progressive the S really is. Being able to push the S to beyond my limit was very enlightening. Spent half the time sideways

I feel a lot happier with the S in the wet now

If anyone hasn't done it and thinking of doing a training day, I would definitely recommend this one
Old 03-28-2006, 01:30 PM

I just love the course at the end!! Its amazing fun.

Tempted to do another this year.

I made the big mistake of forgetting to increase tyre pressures and mullered a set of tyres

Learnt loads though.. especially how to get the power down early to provoke the rear end
Old 03-28-2006, 01:58 PM

where did you sign up for it? is it expensive?
Old 03-28-2006, 02:06 PM

www.carlimits.com

Costs
Old 03-28-2006, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

ahem.....

http://www.s2kuk.com/s2kuk/Benefits/Suppliers.php?cat=9

10% off for S2KUK members.

Old 03-28-2006, 02:23 PM

Old 03-28-2006, 10:05 PM

stuff Mirren.

Am possibly going to do this with a mate (he's got a VX220 Turbo) soon - his wife is thinking about it for his 30th B'day pressie and I said I'd go too.

10% you say - now that's handy!
Old 03-28-2006, 10:49 PM

We did this training day last week in our VXT, and I agree, it was a great day and well worthwhile finding out the limits of the car, and yourself, in a safe environment

The circuits at the end of the day where you combined all the skills you'd learnt during the day was just fantastic - made me want to do a track day now.

You can also buy a training video that Walshy has done, that introduces a lot of the techniques you'll learn on the day - I wish that I'd bought that before doing the course as some of them you could have learnt in advance enabling you to get more out of the day. Still useful to have the video to look back on afterwards though, and remind yourself of different bits.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've done it twice (once in the FTO, once in the S), and yes the first time it was a bit too much information to take in so having the DVD before going might be well worth it. It took me a few weeks of thinking about it before I really started to understand everything he taught me.

Doing it the second time was much better as I understood the theory and could concentrate on just the practice. I wasn't going to do it again, but after I spun hopelessly at Bedford in January I thought I could do with some practice at recovering from slides, and so spent a lot of time doing "the corner" and chucking the car sideways Tiff Needel style. Wasn't so good for my nearly new Bridgestones though (and yes I did run extra psi).

I'll probably go again sometime to see if he can teach me his crazy left foot braking and heel and toe at the same time technique.

Highly recommended.

10% off? Doh!
Old 03-29-2006, 01:58 AM

Am i the only one who felt very car sick after all the passenger rides doing the final circuit

Im not a good passenger at the best of times let alone doing massive spins with some lunatic in a caterham

Quick Reply: 1st Lotus Day