UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

16" Alloy wheel polish - winter wheels

Old 11-26-2010, 11:39 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

This taken from the Highways website re: winter driving advice.

Be ready for severe weather - advice to drivers
Make Time for Winter - your guide to driving in severe weather

Winter can be a busy time for everybody. Whether working, at school or on holiday, there's so much to remember. But whatever occupies your time this winter, don't get caught out when driving in severe weather. Don't just drive, prepare.

For a smoother journey check your vehicle is ready for winter

Regularly servicing and checking your vehicle is in good running order before setting out, will reduce your chances of breaking down on the road. It's worth making these checks regularly - and particularly before a long journey:

Check and replace the anti-freeze in the radiator
Make sure your lights are clean and check the bulbs
Ensure your windscreen is clean
Replace the battery if it's not reliable
Ensure your tyres are correctly inflated and replace them if the tread has reached the legal minimum.
Be a smarter driver - check traffic and weather updates

Before you set off it's worth taking a few minutes to make sure that there aren't any problems on your intended route. You can check for live updates as you travel too - but remember not to use your phone while driving.

Visit http://www.highways.gov.uk/traffic/traffic.aspx
Check the weather at http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/
Call the Highways Agency information line on 0300 123 5000
Tune into DAB Traffic Radio at http://www.trafficradio.org.uk/
Remember to take regular breaks from driving - tiredness and loss of concentration are major contributing factors to road accidents.

For more tips and guidance on driving in severe weather take a look at our severe weather leaflet and posters:

---------------------------------------------------------------

So ... despite telling people to prepare, there's still no sign of any reccomendation of using all season or winter tyres.

Muppets
Old 11-27-2010, 12:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by unclefester,Nov 27 2010, 08:53 AM
Snow hahahahahahaha what's that then, isn't it meant to be slippery I'd say 1cm of fresh snow this morning, maybe a little more. Certainly not show stopping but enough to make you take care on summer rubber.

So .... quiet roads, empty car parks - deliberately trying to provoke bad behaviour.

1. Standing start no wheelspin
2. 2000rpm then pop clutch no wheelspin
3. 4000rpm pop clutch bit of snatching from the tyres but no actual wheelspin.

It took 6k rpm and a hard clutch pop to get the wheels to spin and within half a doughnut they'd caught up with themselves. Only managed to keep it spinning by applying a lot of lock and using the upper end of the revs. Got a few questions from the McD staff when i'd finished hooning around their carpark All in the name of science i told them!

Same story in a straight line, moderate to heavy acceleration simply does not shift it and braking is the same.

So having overtaken just about everything on the A5 that was doing <30mph in the slow lane whilst I sailed past at 60+ in the fast lane .... I have to say I will never go back to summer tyres during the winter ever again. The look on the face of the driver of the Imprezza Sti that eventually came past was priceless, you could literally see WTF written all over it.

What i really want now is some proper snow to see how that goes. I don't intend on treating these like winter road glue but you have to know where their limits are.

To anyone that is happy to brave it on summer rubber because
i've been fine so far' to say you're missing out is an understatement.

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow
OK, I'm sold!

Now to find a set of 16"ers on eBay...

Combine these with my recently fitted Racelogic TC and it'll be un-crashable!*

*Obviously not genuinely uncrashable but much more confidence inspiring
Old 11-27-2010, 12:46 AM

Confidence is the biggest thing - it's knowing that when you turn the wheel / gently apply the brake that something will happen.

The carpark thing this morning really surprised me - I wasn't expecting to have to TRY to get things to step out of line! Last year in the same conditons on 17s and summer tyres, all it took was a lift of the clutch in 1st gear and application of throttle.

I would assume the likes of Blizzaks etc are far better than the Kumhos i've fitted but they were twice the price at the time and I don't think our road conditions warrant that investment, yet.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:47 AM

I woke to this:

I am really not looking forward to the drive to work, Or the drive back at well past 10 knowing my luck,

Sub 2MM on the Brigestones till i get the Continental's fitted,

Still not happy tbh but its got to be better then whats on there now,

Old 11-27-2010, 12:50 AM

Sub 2mm? Taxi
Old 11-27-2010, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by unclefester,Nov 27 2010, 09:50 AM
Sub 2mm? Taxi
Dad has the Jazz so that's what i am thinking TBH,

Just over 16K on one set of Brigestone's will do me though,

Still grip like glue in the dry,

Never had anything else to compare them to but really do like them,

I sorted a mate out big time yesterday so i think she can be the Taxi till Tuesday if need be,

Old 11-27-2010, 12:59 AM

Yup if you've another option it's definitely common sense to make use of it
Old 11-27-2010, 01:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by unclefester,Nov 27 2010, 08:53 AM
So having overtaken just about everything on the A5 that was doing <30mph in the slow lane whilst I sailed past at 60+ in the fast lane ....
You were doing 60+ on hard packed snow?
Old 11-27-2010, 01:37 AM

NOOOOOO christ i'm not daft

This was a couple of cm of fresh stuff - but everyone else had decided 30mph in the slow lane was quick enough.

All i'm saying is that last year in the same conditions on summer tyres, i'd have struggled to maintain 30 in a straight line and feel remotely safe
Old 11-27-2010, 01:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by unclefester,Nov 26 2010, 11:53 PM
Snow hahahahahahaha what's that then, isn't it meant to be slippery I'd say 1cm of fresh snow this morning, maybe a little more. Certainly not show stopping but enough to make you take care on summer rubber.

So .... quiet roads, empty car parks - deliberately trying to provoke bad behaviour.

1. Standing start no wheelspin
2. 2000rpm then pop clutch no wheelspin
3. 4000rpm pop clutch bit of snatching from the tyres but no actual wheelspin.

It took 6k rpm and a hard clutch pop to get the wheels to spin and within half a doughnut they'd caught up with themselves. Only managed to keep it spinning by applying a lot of lock and using the upper end of the revs. Got a few questions from the McD staff when i'd finished hooning around their carpark All in the name of science i told them!

Same story in a straight line, moderate to heavy acceleration simply does not shift it and braking is the same.

So having overtaken just about everything on the A5 that was doing <30mph in the slow lane whilst I sailed past at 60+ in the fast lane .... I have to say I will never go back to summer tyres during the winter ever again. The look on the face of the driver of the Imprezza Sti that eventually came past was priceless, you could literally see WTF written all over it.

What i really want now is some proper snow to see how that goes. I don't intend on treating these like winter road glue but you have to know where their limits are.

To anyone that is happy to brave it on summer rubber because
i've been fine so far' to say you're missing out is an understatement.

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow

Great investment then! Cannot wait till it snows down in the South now and test my Kumho's out too! You are right, it is all about confidence, not only in the snow but in general cold weather driving the Kumho's vastly outperform their summer counterparts in the winter!

So it is meant to snow tomorrow, and I am not entirely dreading it!

Woop woop!

Thanks for the write up,

Graham

Quick Reply: 16" Alloy wheel polish - winter wheels