UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

12 month ban for racing

Old 05-24-2006, 04:38 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Not being able to afford trackdays still doesn't give you the right to use the roads as racetracks.

That's a bit like saying its ok to steal someone's tv because you can't afford your own.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lower,May 24 2006, 01:38 PM
Not being able to afford trackdays still doesn't give you the right to use the roads as racetracks.

That's a bit like saying its ok to steal someone's tv because you can't afford your own.
Or like not paying for a television licence because you've spent all your money on a 42" wide screen plasma.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:42 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Hypersonik,May 24 2006, 12:33 PM
I am not condoing it. I dont agree that people should be able to use the highway as a race track. I'm just saying that I wish for a bit of consistancy with the punishment the law dishes out for crimes. In addition, if the road is empty, then I can't see anything wrong with someone and their friend having a bit of fun.
law and consistency don't go together unfortunately

I don't suppose too many people disagree with your empty road scenario

but is rarely the case, as you well know

as for drunkeness, it's not that difficult to avoid; I rarely encounter drunks because I have no need to go into town on Friday or Saturday night

otoh, I have to drive every day, and I expect the authorities to be particularly vigilant in safeguarding the ordinary road user - ie about 95% of drivers

Old 05-24-2006, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by lower,May 24 2006, 04:38 AM

But it's not really is it. If I have a bit of a play in my car on the road, who have I stole from? Who have I effected? If I crash my car whilst doing this, again, the same applies. Only if I crash into someone does your comparison apply.
Just think about that. Otherwise, next time you notice your speedo reading 35 in a 30, you have just personally violated someones domain and taken something that doesn't belong to you without permission.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by Hypersonik,May 24 2006, 01:33 PM
In addition, if the road is empty, then I can't see anything wrong with someone and their friend having a bit of fun.
And what happens when the red mist descends and they don't slow down when the road ceases to be clear?

You can't couch a law in terms to allow for things like that! At best, that's something that might be taken into account in a plea in mitigation. I suspect you'd get fairly short shrift if you found yourself in the dock and tried that one with a bench of magistrates.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:45 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Having a bit of a play is your perogative in your own car. But if you get caught, don't go complaining that you only did it because you weren't well enough off to afford a trackday.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by Lurking Lawyer,May 24 2006, 04:45 AM
And what happens when the red mist descends and they don't slow down when the road ceases to be clear?
WHAT?! And what happens when someone doesn't slow down from 70mph to 30mph from a NSL zone? Lets ban them all and have everyone drive round at 30....
And what happens when Iranians launch nuclear weapons at us
And what happens when we run out of water cos people still use their hosepipes
And what happens
And what happens
And what happens
Old 05-24-2006, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by lower,May 24 2006, 04:45 AM
Having a bit of a play is your perogative in your own car. But if you get caught, don't go complaining that you only did it because you weren't well enough off to afford a trackday.
I wouldn't! What i'm trying to say is that the judgement is wrong and harsh!
Yes, maybe they were driving irresponsibly. But since they caused no damage or distress to anyone, how can you punish them for what might of happened?
Old 05-24-2006, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by Hypersonik,May 24 2006, 01:50 PM
I wouldn't! What i'm trying to say is that the judgement is wrong and harsh!
I don't know - it's probably made the roads slightly safer for a year.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by Hypersonik,May 24 2006, 01:49 PM
WHAT?!
I was trying to demonstrate that you can't frame a law based on the assumption that everyone is sensible. In fact, it really has to assume the opposite.

Courts tend to take into account not only what did happen but what MIGHT have happened given the time, location etc etc.

Quick Reply: 12 month ban for racing