UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

10 years.. still going, just.

Old 06-04-2011, 02:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 10 years.. still going, just.

I picked up my midnight blue pearl S2000 from Honda Verno in Kobe Japan, more or less 10 years ago. Don't know why I went for that particular colour, but it was a new one for the VGS launch at that time.

At 20K including some options, it seemed a bargain for a new car with both the performance and reliability to go with it. I can still remember the first day I picked it up, and probably went back to my parking space a dozen times in the evening.. to check it was still there and for real.. I was so happy with that car.

During the three years I ran the car in Japan, perhaps some money burning a hole in my pocket, I picked up one or two things from the Honda dealer, since as well as having their own upgrade brand Modulo.. they supply and fit mugen parts at a very reasonable cost (compared to UK) - so I picked up oil cap, brake lines, cooling pieces, manifold, exhaust, hardtop.. and stopping off at Autobacs, to get Volks and a few other trinkets.

Since Kobe City is in West Japan, very close to Osaka - I had quite a few trips to J's Racing workshop, where over a chat about what was good or bad about the car, they were able to supply and fit their vented bonnet, defi gauges, baffled sump, brake discs, cat pipe and their hand made bigger aluminium radiator. At the time they were not doing ECU's, so they got me a Mugen one since Honda wouldn't supply a part which apparently wasn't very legal for road use in Japan. J's were good fun and it was interesting to see their business grow with the whole internet expansion. However I heard recently he had some problems with the police for a hit and run.

Good memories of the car in the Japan, driving with the top down on a mountain road..through Japanese alps, up a volcano or through an electric city at night. Even the F&F types were fun and always friendly at Honda who took care of the car with incredible attention. I managed to see Asimo, get into visit a Honda production factory and talk to the engineers..but unfortunately not the S2000 one.

Imported the car to Europe and kept it in Belgium for a few years as a weekend toy. With less parts available and very few other S2000's in that area, the modifications slowed down.. however fitted KW3's and played with different inlets before settling on the AEM and reverting back to the standard ECU. I suspected the fuel quality wasn't as good as Japan and the mugen programmed for Japanese petrol didn't have a knock sensor enabled.

Had plenty of fun at the ring with the fantastic easter trips in 05 and 06, where the car was just great.. though always pretty alarmed to see how high the oil temperature gets by the end of 1 lap on a hot day despite all of the efforts to keep things cool, it's perhaps a good job Honda doesn't fit one as standard. Most memorable lap was being in an S2000 convoy running on the new GP circuit as well as the Nordschleife.

Had quite a bit less fun at Spa in 2006, where knocking a couple of corners off the car wasn't in the plan.. note to self, advan's AO48's not great in wet and cold conditions, really not liking VTEC (forecast had been for sunshine.. ho hum.. spa weather predictions). Had further good times at the ring.. catching rides from the UK ringers.. as my car wasn't drivable.

With lot's of help from this forum, I gradually got the car back together.. though other distractions got in the way such as building a house, moving jobs and countries.. so that I only really got it going again and on the road actually a few weeks ago - in what is a great little county of South Staffordshire.

The car is a bit grumpy and rattly on UK roads, engine bay looks a bit untidy and the 10years is starting to show in quite a few places - but I hope I can sort those things out now I have a bit more time.

Any issue I have had with the car has always been self inflicted, apart from just one..

roughly 5 years into ownership, the AC wouldn't function. Tracked it down to a blown fuse.. and for some weird reason, the fuse was smaller than what was in the manual. That's the only mistake I can put at Honda in 10 years. Not too bad really.

10 years ago, I would not have thought that owning this car + connecting to a car forum would have brought so many interesting moments, so much money spent.. but also getting to know many people who have been generous with their time and patience to help me with plenty of things.

Fingers crossed, I will try to get to some meets if I can.

Richard. aka Kobe
Old 06-04-2011, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice story man, im assuming you still have the car correct? glad you held onto it, i just bought my second ap1 and im planning on keeping it for a long long time.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:29 PM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Pic's?
Old 06-04-2011, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kobe
10 years ago, I would not have thought that owning this car + connecting to a car forum would have brought so many interesting moments, so much money spent.. but also getting to know many people who have been generous with their time and patience to help me with plenty of things.
I'm relatively new to this forum and I can already see that this car and this community is very different than the other forums that I've been on. Like you said, Its the comradeship and the connection to the car that can exploit more than just our hobbies. It goes beyond that. I've yet to go to a meet but similar threads likes these justify my claims.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by E4RTH WORM JIM
Pic's?

how do you pull pics in from the gallery ?
Old 06-05-2011, 12:23 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Good to see you back Kobe

Last time I saw you was at the Ring:

Any chance of you getting to Spa or the other S2ki days this year? Is the car ready to track?
Old 06-05-2011, 12:37 AM

that was a good trip to the ring despite not have a track car,

chilled, dembo, dave ? Ben, Ian...american team..

very international event, and being entertained by Krazik and his rental car antics was a good memory..

lucky I was hiding on that inside pic... my face had turned a bit red, the sun is very strong...

at the moment I am happy if the car runs without a CEL or another fault light, had plenty of those these past few months.. and still need to get the suspension sorted out, so probably will take a pass for track days in 2011
Old 06-05-2011, 01:22 AM

I think that was the July trip. Probably the best one over all. I forget which year.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:56 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Nice story Richard

Great memories too
Old 06-05-2011, 08:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Excellent read
Should go on the front page - with pictures too

Joeh

Quick Reply: 10 years.. still going, just.