UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

10 Years Old - What would you replace?

Old 05-04-2012, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with polybushes, Si. On the 12 year old OEM suspension, they absolutely transformed the ride on mine and in my opinion - with no adverse effect on the ride - of course it's entirely individual.

I'm going to be fitting the new sus over the next couple of weeks so you'll be more than welcome to get some first hand experience rather than base purely on what you read.

It's probably worth looking at diff and gearbox mounts if you're looking at engine mounts. They'll also transform the feeling of the gearbox.

Have you ever renewed the coolant hoses? They're going to start being a candidate for failure and once they start going, they'll all go within days of fixing the last (next weakest link and all that).

Question;

Are you looking for things to do for the sake of having things done, or are you looking purely to head off potential faults before they appear?
Old 05-04-2012, 10:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could be worth fitting just the ARB poly bushes, especially if you're also doing droplinks. It won't make a difference to the vibration/ride, but it will sharpen things up a bit. I fitted polybushes into the suspension arms in my FTO and always felt it was a bit of a mistake. Just a bit too solid. I have the Mugen compliance bushes in the S, and that improved the feel somewhat, but then they're still rubber.

I wonder about engine mounts too. It's the kind of thing (like bushes) that deteroriate so slowly you aren't aware of the change, then suddenly it's a huge improvement when they're replaced.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:39 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Hoses is a good call - I suppose anything rubber is worth looking at (MB and 'roids getting excited again).

It's a combination of heading off potential faults and freshening things up I suppose.

I'm planning to do a big shop with CFL Honda to save some money overall, hence the shopping list.

Engine, Diff and Gearbox mounts
Hoses
Seat refurb - needs more than just a seat base swap.
O2 sensor
Starter Motor
Suspension arms/poly bushes
Front calipers
Old 05-04-2012, 01:27 PM

Starter motor - no. Never seen one go on a Honda yet and considering how simple they are and how long they are used for, why?
Hoses - no. Unless they look knackered. Again i've seen hoses on 20 year old Hondas look fine.
Suspension arms - no. Are they bent? Then why do you need new ones?!

I'd replace your retainers and your chain though.

If you are feeling upto it, replace all of your ball joints and get new track/tie rods and maybe swap you driveshaft cups around.

Bush wise, just get some uprated rubber ones.

Caliper wise, Ian's were dead at over 200k miles, so i'd get some from a Civic Type R and bolt them on.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:31 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Surely retainers are just a visual check with the cover off and changed if needed to be?
Old 05-04-2012, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by s2konroids
Surely retainers are just a visual check with the cover off and changed if needed to be?
They are the point of failure on the early engines. I wanted to change mine at 57k miles.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:37 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have you tried "Just for Men" mate?
Old 05-04-2012, 01:40 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Alternator refurb.
Battery.
How are the wheel bearings?
Old 05-04-2012, 01:44 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra_Nexus
They are the point of failure on the early engines. I wanted to change mine at 57k miles.
I had mine changed at around 30k miles (when I had the Toda Cams installed) and there were obvious signs of stretching on the retainers that were removed. This would have been difficult to spot without removing them.

Old 05-04-2012, 01:48 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I know they are weak points of an Ap1, i had a good look at my block and retainers when i removed my cams and fitted offset keys. I admit its difficult to give them a 'good look' at but from what i could see there was no evidence of them needing to be changed, nor the springs.

LG, asked what is to be replaced but i think there are times when folk replace bits when theres no need - especially through hearsay or scaremongering. I do believe in preventative maintenance though.

Quick Reply: 10 Years Old - What would you replace?