UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

1 squeak, 1 creak and 2 buzzes

Old 10-18-2006, 12:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1 squeak, 1 creak and 2 buzzes

I am gradually fixing the squeaks and rattles from the car, as they slowly drive me nuts on long (and now short) journeys.

I've had a degree of success, and tehre are just 3 left to go !!!

1) a proper SQUEAK coming from under the bonnet somewhere. Seems to be associated with bumps.... cannot replicate by bouncing the front of the car... have tried greasing the bonnet catch (although only had silicon spray didn't have any grease) and the swivelly bit where the stand for the bonnet comes from. Started directly after the first service and is getting worse. Dealer denies anything but everyone else can hear it.

2) drivers seat mechanism seems to creak. Dealer alleges they have taken the seat out and put it back together again, but its getting worse. Not sure which bit to spray with silicon here !

3) buzzing noise from drivers side roof catch when its done up; just a subtle buzz and bit like tehre's a fly stuck in it. Have tried silicon spray - again dealer denies its there

4) buzz from the dash. Appears to be cured if you push the steering wheel (which obviously you can't do all the time) or if you push the side of the dash. Any ideas what to attack with the silicon !?

Might even take it back to the dealer to get it looked at- was hoping to wait until 2nd service, but my mileage has dropped so much that I don't know when that will be !
Old 10-18-2006, 12:28 AM

1 squeak, 1 creak and 2 buzzes, any ideas?
With that title I thought it was something a bit more interesting than cars, oh well.

As for the squeaks, rattles etc it should go back to the dealer rather than you get your hands dirty.
Your next service is 12 months or 9000 miles from the last.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:32 AM

Is the buzzing sound like a fly only there when Chris is in the passenger seat?
Old 10-18-2006, 12:38 AM

Hmmm no, seems independent of him being there - when da pmw is in the passenger seat he never shuts up about money

Davey - i agree, but I really CBA taking it backwards and forwards to the dealer. Last time they took it for a day and ended up keeping it for a week to fit a new hood and sort out all these squeaks. They then denied hearing any, didn't look at the things I asked them to, and have never supplied me with the list of work they actually did.

Its a shame, their technician is really good, as is one of the guys on the service desk, but one of the guys there I am sure just nods at me then doesn't pass any of the information on. I was really cross.

And next service is due in about 4k miles which at the rate I'm going is still a good 2-3 months.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by dreamer,Oct 18 2006, 08:13 AM
2) drivers seat mechanism seems to creak. Dealer alleges they have taken the seat out and put it back together again, but its getting worse. Not sure which bit to spray with silicon here !

3) buzzing noise from drivers side roof catch when its done up; just a subtle buzz and bit like tehre's a fly stuck in it. Have tried silicon spray - again dealer denies its there

4) buzz from the dash. Appears to be cured if you push the steering wheel (which obviously you can't do all the time) or if you push the side of the dash. Any ideas what to attack with the silicon !?

Might even take it back to the dealer to get it looked at- was hoping to wait until 2nd service, but my mileage has dropped so much that I don't know when that will be !
2) I had this on my Type-R. Took the seat out and placed fibre washers on all the seat bolts and then did them up. Noise gone. Something to do with
the seat runners very slighty moving on the chassis.

3) Got this Haven't found a cure yet.

4) I had this. Solution was a bit more then just a quick spray here and there unfortunately. Had to get the dealer to take the steering wheel off (explosive charges and all that - best for left to them) and the only way to describe this easily is - wedge some thin card between the steering wheel boss and the plastic shroud (horn push area). All gone.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-18-2006, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by EddandSam,Oct 18 2006, 09:32 AM
Is the buzzing sound like a fly only there when Chris is in the passenger seat?
ATR owners I swear, think they rule the world they do.
Old 10-20-2006, 05:35 AM

Took the car for a quick dealer visit this morning:

1) SQUEAK - errrr they want the car in next week to strip the front suspension down bit by bit to find out what it is. They said it might be some rubber bush or something that has seized.

This sounds suspiciously like the seized bushes problem to me. I also overheard them talking about taking the anti-rollbar out and stirpping that down too - so perhaps they just don't have a clue.

They said they are going to have to take things out one at a time until they can find what it is.

i.e. they have no idea

2) 3) 4) - They all do that madam, and we can't hear anything anyway.

No they don't, this is the third one we've had

Yes they do, they are creaky rattly cars

Ok, well can you change the roof catch at least as its driving me insane

Hmm maybe

Fingers crossed for next week!
Old 10-20-2006, 06:47 AM

I get an annoying buzzing sound from mine too, but only when the Mrs is in the car.
Old 10-20-2006, 06:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dreamer,Oct 20 2006, 02:35 PM
I also overheard them talking about taking the anti-rollbar out and stirpping that down too - so perhaps they just don't have a clue.
Not quite sure what they expect to do with the ARBs - they are connected to the suspension via the droplinks (I suppose some spray grease could be applied but its not an obvious squeak point) and the only other attachment points are two metal brackets and a plasticky bit which sits between each bracket and the ARB. Again, a bit of spray grease may suffice.
Old 10-20-2006, 06:58 AM

Sounds like they don't have a clue then

The mechanic who came out with me actually took the car away from me for about 20-30 minutes there and then to check it over; at this point I started to worry it was something safety-oriented !

Consiering last time I took it in there for this noise they couldn't hear a thing....

Quick Reply: 1 squeak, 1 creak and 2 buzzes