UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

09 Cars

Old 05-05-2011, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^ The info P1 posted might be of help....

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/858...t__p__20454490
Old 05-05-2011, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by ChriS_2k
Surely Honda know the batch of cars that are affected so it should be easy to identify by VIN number?
Yup, you would have thought so

The way cars are produced these days it is likely that Honda will know exactly which parts are put into which cars right down to what time and date things are assembled, what shift cars were made on, etc. etc. Everything is data logged and tagged

Honda will never recall though, it costs too much
Old 05-05-2011, 10:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Iv stuck a Supercharger on mine,its done 5000 miles so if I have a problem Im screwed,but I knew that when I fitted it.Mine appears to be around 500 units away from the ones listed, so heres hoping After the money iv spent on it a few grand for another engine isnt such a big problem,but dont let my wife see this
Old 05-06-2011, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by GREGSTERWIZ
{quote]
Honda will never recall though, it costs too much
It would be nice though if they would actually send an alert round to their stealers advising them of a potential problem and what the fix is. I went through various discussions with my stealer who had no idea about these problems and point blank refused to accept the problem until I told him that the Head of Technical at Honda UK would like a word with him as Bokkie had kindly mentioned to him in one of her numerous conversations with HUK that I was travelling from Cleethorpes to Bristol purely for Bristol to look at my car and explain the noises I was hearing as they seemed to be the only garage that knew about the problems.

Once my guy had spoken to HUK and been told them what to look for exactly and he read the threads on here, he accepted that there was indeed a problem with 09 engines.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:57 AM

Well done. I made the mistake of calling Honda UK yesterday, the teenagers in the call centre are clueless, very distressing, what was I thinking. I like the advice to extend the warranty but dont think I should have to pay for it. I've had no problems so far but paid a premium for mine, with suspension greasing and an extra warranty to pay for I'm another £1,000 in the wrong direction having owned it a month.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:29 AM

I will definitely be going for the extended warranty. I'm still not happy with the noise it makes and now have another noise, but I suspect that's the K&N whistling at me.

As previously advised - I just keep turning the Ipod up
Old 05-06-2011, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Bundle of Mayhem
I will definitely be going for the extended warranty. I'm still not happy with the noise it makes and now have another noise, but I suspect that's the K&N whistling at me.

As previously advised - I just keep turning the Ipod up
So what is your noise BOM ?

My car has a slight "growl" when I feather the throttle when stationary at 2-3k revs or allow the revs to drop slightly then pick up the revs and increase them slightly between 2-3k revs(hope that makes sense)

The car has done this for a while (now at 8k) and it also has the tinny rattle that P1 posted about (similar to pinking)

I took the car to the Lightcliffe Honda on Tuesday and met the worlds first deaf tech who said he couldn't hear anything

I get the impression that they really aren't bothered

As a side note I had the exhaust changed under warranty today

The young tech who worked on my car took it for a test drive and was obviously oblivious that I was stood outside

The car had been stood for a couple of hours but that didn't stop him driving like he stole it when he left the dealership, merrily v-tec'ing down the road

My advice; AVOID LIGHTCLIFFE HONDA. I will be having words with the service manager tomorrow and will not return there for servicing or warranty work
Old 05-06-2011, 02:10 PM

The noise you describe when revving gently between 2/3k is in the same rev range as my old engine only mine was more of a light knocking which could be felt if you placed your hand on the engine. Honda replaced my engine saying that it definately should not be making that noise. I'm pleased to say that from day one the new engine was so much quieter and is still purring after nearly 7k miles now.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:26 PM

That's exactly it - a noise at 27mph - 3000 revs. The mechanic at Bristol heard it and managed to replicate it numerous times on the drive we had. You feather the throttle and the noise stays. I never did find out what the noise was but my bearings are within tolerance etc so no issues there. Eventually we've just put it down to one of those noises that the S makes.

I also had my exhaust changed under warranty in September last year as they felt that was the problem but the noise remained.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by p800bry
The noise you describe when revving gently between 2/3k is in the same rev range as my old engine only mine was more of a light knocking which could be felt if you placed your hand on the engine. Honda replaced my engine saying that it definately should not be making that noise. I'm pleased to say that from day one the new engine was so much quieter and is still purring after nearly 7k miles now.
Thanks, I think the issues on the 09 cars is due to faulty thrust washers on the crankshaft causing a bit of lateral movement

If this can be rectified by dropping the sump and replacing them I'd probably go with that option first

I just don't fancy having an engine changed due to my experiences with Honda dealers

Bristol Honda is a bit too far away although they seem to be pretty decent

Quick Reply: 09 Cars