UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

04 notchy gearbox

Old 07-14-2005, 11:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 notchy gearbox

It seems a not uncommon problem with the box on the 04 cars. Jumping out of gear occasionally when cold and being notchy 1-2 or sometimes 2-3.
Mine went in for it's first service last week and I asked the dealer to comment on the gear change when cold (problem goes when warm).

I asked for a written response to my queries if they din't feel it warranted action. They have agreed that there is a problem and the gear change is not right. The car has gone in this week for 2-3 days for 'investigations.' I have'nt heard yet what they've found or done but today is the third day, so I'll keep you posted.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:02 AM

Not had any such problems with my 05 (yet - only done 1000 miles).
Old 07-15-2005, 12:08 AM

It's notchy from 1-2 when cold, but has never jumped out of gear.
The notchiness is normal, and the result of the more direct connection to the gearbox than most cars.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Salty

As you have said, it does seem to jump out of gear on the 04. Mine did and only had 1,000 miles on the clock. Took it in to the dealer and the service manager telephoned HUK, explained the problem I was having and they told him not too investigate (cost) the box and just replace the whole gearbox. They did this within 3 days, and a good job done. No problems since.

Dave
Old 07-15-2005, 01:15 AM

The guy driving the Nurby for Evo magazine seems to have this issue as well (popping out of gear). Which gear does it pop out of or is it various? I havent experienced this on my 04 but 1st to 2nd is notchy when cold and 3rd sometimes seems to catch as if the clutch isnt all the way down when changing (it is).
Old 07-15-2005, 01:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The S2 gear box has always been "notchy" when cold. This is some times helped by changing the gear box oil at your first service. As for the jumping out of gear with mine it was 2nd and 4th gear. It mostly did it when I was in slowish moving traffic around 30mph. Putting my foot on and off the accelerator to keep moving so I didn't have to keep changing gear.

Hope that helps

Dave
Old 07-15-2005, 02:30 AM

Mine has jumped out of 1st and reverse on a couple of occasions only. Don't accept that notchy change is 'normal' although it would depend on how bad it was of course. A fast change from 1-2 brought a crunch from the syncro. every time when cold.

Dealer has just phoned and told me that they have replaced the oil and they are happy with the result but are road testing it again this morning when cold. Will update you later.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:34 AM

OK. picked the car up tonight. Dealer has had the car 3 days and tell me they've changed the gearbox oil, and checked all linkages etc. Can't see why it took 3 days but there you go...

The gearbox seems better when cold and the worse of the 'notchiness' has gone. The shift is still tight but very precise. TBH it feels like a different box but the main thing is it now seems fine...
Old 07-15-2005, 10:56 AM

The oil change takes 15 mins. maybe they took the rest of the time figuring out what oil to use.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:27 PM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I change my gearbox oil every service (well my dealer does) I put Redline MTL in it. and it seems to help reduce notchiness

Quick Reply: 04 notchy gearbox