UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

01 a good buy, or 02 much better?

Old 08-13-2010, 02:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MrMagica,Aug 13 2010, 10:34 AM
Question: How hard and costly is it to change the geometry setup in an 01 to match the changes in 02, notice any difference?
The geo (or alignment) just means that all 4 wheels are pointing in the right direction – it's like tracking .. but more so.
Whether it's an 00 or 02 the trick is to get it set up properly for the way you want to drive.
Take a look at the Faq, it's explained in much more detail.

If you wanted to change an 00 to have the same suspension hardware as an 02…
Well, it's probably not worth it. Better off to get an 00 and add some aftermarket shocks and braces and stuff or buy an 02 in the first place.

New shocks and braces for an 00 would probably cost you about a grand.
5-700 for shocks and 2-300 for some braces.
Although you can spend a lot more if you want to depending on brands and quality.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:58 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by MrMagica,Aug 13 2010, 11:34 AM
thankyou for all the replies...It seems as though perhaps their is not so much of a difference between 01 and 02 cars as EVO Magazine would suggest.

Question: How hard and costly is it to change the geometry setup in an 01 to match the changes in 02, notice any difference?
I didn't say that the geometry setup could be "matched" across the two model year cars, think more of two cars of the same model year can be made to feel quite different using different geometry setups.

For example, when I first got my car, I asked the geo man for a setup that would make the car stable and less prone to oversteer. 6 years on I have a bit more of a "racy" setup.

It should cost somewhere from around £90 - £200 for a decent geo, depending where you take it, and how much of a personal service you require.

If you fill in your location under "My S2k and Settings" we can probably point you in the right direction.

Your best bet is to test drive one of each and see which you prefer.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like that original car had the geometry all over the place, and the 02 they drove didn't. There's nothing else that would make that significant difference. All these comparisons of handling are entirely meaningless unless the geometry has been set the same on both.

It's true about the plastic screen. Mine's never cracked, but I can hardly see anything through it, and it looks cheap and naff. My speakers are useless too.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:33 AM

get a ricks leather console cover and a 04 radio door and muz mats and the 00 looks more than fine.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:39 AM
tej

Realistically, how many people will actual notice the difference apart from the driving Gods on here
Old 08-13-2010, 04:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Exactly, and therefore I'd say newer = better, even if it's only cos it's less old
Old 08-13-2010, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by tej,Aug 13 2010, 03:39 AM
Realistically, how many people will actual notice the difference apart from the driving Gods on here
I'm certianly no driving god but occasionally all my cars get driven on the limit, and I do enjoy a great RWD car being controllable when it steps out.

On a differnt note can anyone recommed someone that sets up geometry - should i see fit to have it altered. Im in sussex!
Old 08-13-2010, 12:18 PM

for my tuppence worth.. if I were buying now I would look at getting the geo done whatever you buy, especially since all of the reviews I've read here of getting it done by people on the forum seem to indicate it is worth its price in gold
Old 08-14-2010, 02:23 AM
LTB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I were in your position I'd ignore the bollox spouted by Evo.

Is a glass rear screen really important to you ? If so then get a 02.

Things like mileage and how well they have been looked after are going to be far more important.

Also have a read in the FAQ, especially the section on seized suspension bushes.
The first thing I'd want to know as a prospective owner is when was the last time the car had a 4 wheel alignment and if there were any seizures.

If the owner doesn't know, then I'd ask that a geo check be a condition of the sale.

As others have said, there is cock all difference between the earlier cars and all can be set up to handle in various ways depending upon geometry settings.

Where about in Sussex are you ? Denmead Tyres have a good reputation and should be able to set your car up well.

Then you have the likes of DMS http://www.dmsracingltd.co.uk/ who have an excellent reputation and have excellent knowledge of the car.
Old 08-14-2010, 03:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If anyone plans to use Denmead tyres, and would like a 'fast road' setup carried out, PM me

Quick Reply: 01 a good buy, or 02 much better?