UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

£25 just made my car 6 seconds a lap faster :)

Old 01-23-2012, 01:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Originally Posted by zzkamikazezz' timestamp='1327271652' post='21341650
I'm sure most of us realise that the slowest part of most of our cars is us

I just did my first track day at Snetterton today (3rd track day in total). As with each day I've paid for a tution session. Worth every single penny!

I managed to get alaprecorder working on my phone, check out the improvements in my session with the instructor.

Nearly 6 whole seconds quicker in one twenty minute session! I then went on to get a 2:31 on the gps. I did go a second or two faster than that in my last session as I managed to link together a few good laps but the GPS failed to log it properly as they had spotted my suction mount so it was in the centre section

I can't imagine how much it would have cost in tuning to get those 6 seconds
Just out of interest, what did the instructor help you out with?
In the beggining its not always easy to spot and translate your driving errors throughout all those curves and diagrams. Thats where the instructor comes in i guess!

Always in my opinion.

Anyways, indeed one of the best things someone can do if tracking means something more than burning rubber on your car.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KingRevo
You can use the software that comes with the gopro (or any other you feel like downloading) to convert the 1080p into a lower quality format, might help
Thanks, ye might give that a go, an extra step and more time though. grr.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:12 AM

yeah, well either that or next time record at lower quality, or buy a better laptop
Old 01-23-2012, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by zzkamikazezz' timestamp='1327271652' post='21341650
I'm sure most of us realise that the slowest part of most of our cars is us

I just did my first track day at Snetterton today (3rd track day in total). As with each day I've paid for a tution session. Worth every single penny!

I managed to get alaprecorder working on my phone, check out the improvements in my session with the instructor.

Nearly 6 whole seconds quicker in one twenty minute session! I then went on to get a 2:31 on the gps. I did go a second or two faster than that in my last session as I managed to link together a few good laps but the GPS failed to log it properly as they had spotted my suction mount so it was in the centre section

I can't imagine how much it would have cost in tuning to get those 6 seconds
Just out of interest, what did the instructor help you out with?
My main area of improvement (same as last time at Bedford ) is to brake harder and consitantly. I tend to shed some speed off, come off the brakes then go back on them closer to the corner meaning that I'm still getting my braking finished when I should be turning the car and having it balanced. Because of this the weight isn't balanced in the car as I then try and turn but the car hasn't had a chance to settle back down from the braking maning it isn't getting 'set' in the corners. I got much better at this and you can really tell when you get it right and the tyres are using all their traction to turn instead of brake and turn, or aren't gripping to their full potential because the car isn't balanced properly, you feel the seat bolsters really pressing in to you. I was practicing trial braking to help get the turn in better as well. hopefully that all makes a bit of sense.

This braking problem is because I value my pride and joy though, I don't like leaving all the braking to the last minute (so shed a majority of it early) and finding I might get brake fade and brown pants lol.

Also looking through the corners more, not just at the apex, but looking through to the exit point, they were the main areas.

Other stuff was was track specific, talking about some of the best lines on the circuit, some extra places where I could be getting a squirt of power or should be getting a dab of brakes, pointing out where some of the turn in cones were slightly wrong, helping point out braking points. For those that haven't had a session you tend to get a good 20 mins after in your car with a circuit map where they draw lines etc for you and have a debreif, so really good value I think.

I'm not afraid to admit I've got lots to learn I found this book to be great, 'Ultimate Speed Secrets', the complete guide version.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by KingRevo
yeah, well either that or next time record at lower quality, or buy a better laptop
lower quality modes only let you record super wide which I don't think looks right, why can't this stuff be easier!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Old 01-23-2012, 02:38 AM

Got to comment. I had a little bet with myself that you were going to say braking. I just couldn't believe that the car would take such hard braking without going out of control.

I haven't been on track for ages but when I went to to Bedford with Tintop I had tuition and he didn't. We were fairly evenly matched before but after tuition I was much quicker and loved teaching him what I had learnt, particularly about putting the anchors on at the end of that fast straight.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:49 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by zzkamikazezz
My main area of improvement (same as last time at Bedford ) is to brake harder and consitantly. I tend to shed some speed off, come off the brakes then go back on them closer to the corner meaning that I'm still getting my braking finished when I should be turning the car and having it balanced. Because of this the weight isn't balanced in the car as I then try and turn but the car hasn't had a chance to settle back down from the braking maning it isn't getting 'set' in the corners. I got much better at this and you can really tell when you get it right and the tyres are using all their traction to turn instead of brake and turn, or aren't gripping to their full potential because the car isn't balanced properly, you feel the seat bolsters really pressing in to you. I was practicing trial braking to help get the turn in better as well. hopefully that all makes a bit of sense.

This braking problem is because I value my pride and joy though, I don't like leaving all the braking to the last minute (so shed a majority of it early) and finding I might get brake fade and brown pants lol.

Also looking through the corners more, not just at the apex, but looking through to the exit point, they were the main areas.

Other stuff was was track specific, talking about some of the best lines on the circuits, some extra places where I could be getting a squirt of power or should be getting a dab of brakes, pointing out where some of the turn in cones were slightly wrong, helping point out braking points. For those that haven't had a session you tend to get a good 20 mins after in your car with a circuit map where they draw lines etc for you and have a debreif, so really good value I think.

I'm not afraid to admit I've got lots to learn I found this book to be great, 'Ultimate Speed Secrets', the complete guide version.
That's pretty similar to me - braking is the hardest thing to get right I think, and also looking ahead - years of watching the road surface for potholes is a hard habit to break.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by zzkamikazezz' timestamp='1327317339' post='21342853

Other stuff was was track specific, talking about some of the best lines on the circuits, some extra places where I could be getting a squirt of power or should be getting a dab of brakes, pointing out where some of the turn in cones were slightly wrong, helping point out braking points. For those that haven't had a session you tend to get a good 20 mins after in your car with a circuit map where they draw lines etc for you and have a debreif, so really good value I think.

That's pretty similar to me - braking is the hardest thing to get right I think, and also looking ahead - years of watching the road surface for potholes is a hard habit to break.
This video here is pretty cool to illustrate the looking ahead point
http://www.trackdaysdriver.co.uk/how...-driving.html#
Old 01-23-2012, 03:38 AM
jml

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by rob2.2
tuition is definitely worth it as long as you listen and do what they say but also bare in mind that first few laps the car wont be upto temp so after a few laps you will be pushing harder so its also car related.
Which woman were you thinking of ?
Old 01-23-2012, 04:56 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by zzkamikazezz' timestamp='1327317339' post='21342853

I cottoned onto that very quickly. The corollary is, I usually retire with brake fade, so I tend to have to moderate it a bit.

Trouble is, I'm very inconsistent as I tend to forget where I am. The result is usually quite entertaining...