UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

£1000 to spend on the car

Old 06-16-2011, 04:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default £1000 to spend on the car

I have a little bit of a bonus coming my way next month and thought I would treat the s2k. It's a completely stock 06 and Dixon is doing the geo this weekend.

So, what would you do to improve performance with £1000?

I'm not bothered about styling, just want to improve the driving experience.

Should I skip bolt-ons completely and get a flashpro and a tune on a stock car, or will I get more out of a good intake and exhaust? There will probably be more done to it over the coming years but where would you start?
Old 06-16-2011, 05:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmm, I'd lower the car with that, but then I think it looks silly on stock height, if that doesnt bother you then maybe you'd be better off buying something else.

Power wise you wont win much with just a catback exhaust, but buy a nice one with a nice tone and you'll enjoy the drive a lot more, again this is my own experience after fitting my mugen catback with decat, am loving it
Old 06-16-2011, 05:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ohh im in the same boat, sorry to thread hijack!

I've already got coilovers, x brace, CG geo though so should be sorted there...I can't decide next between exhaust and a new HU with some components or some extremely sexy wheels...

Chris, coilovers and a really good geo will be a good bet, transforms the handling and also makes the ride height look a LOT better.

Depending on how much you drop it though you would need to budget for rear toe arms and front steering rack spacers as well. Get a set of MeisterR or BC Racing coilovers though and you should just about manage it if you buy some of the other bits second hand from the forum.

HTH
Old 06-16-2011, 05:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would want a set of coilovers but really I would want to do all the bushes and get the geo sorted. If you plan on keeping the car the car I would say do this first then get the bushes done.

actually reading that back, could you save a little more then get the bushes and coilovers at the same time and then get the geo done. Think that would transform your car.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:29 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

If you are doing power mods, it's all or nothing imo. My car has puts out a lot more power than standard, and is really impressive to drive, but you will have to shell out to get there. If you do go that route, do the intake, header and decat first, then put the icing on the cake with a cat back and the remap - don't do the remap first.

Otherwise get some nice coilovers or bucket seats.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

MB am i right in thinking your car is N/A? What power is it producing at the crank and the wheels? Does a decat make a decent difference on the OEM exhaust? Realistically I think I could manage an AEM intake, decat and exhaust for that money...
Old 06-16-2011, 05:51 AM

Thanks guys.

Not worried about lowering at the moment. I quite enjoy the handling as is, hopefully will be even better with the geo.

I think I'll follow MB's advice on the power mods. I'm gonna go slowly and use some quality parts rather than copies. Sounds like an intake and decat is as good a place to start as any. I'll then have to save for a J's header.

I like the look of the PWJDM system. Will have a word with Dixon at the weekend.

I've heard that intakes and headers can cause it to run lean, is it really that bad or would it be ok for a bit until I can afford an ECU and map?
Old 06-16-2011, 08:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something quite cheap and inproved the S for me was an ETD (Engine Torque Damper). I believe a few have fitted them on here and have noticed a difference. For me it just seems smoother to drive and a little more responsive.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:35 AM

AD08's all round, AEM V2 CAI, and a cusco rear lower brace, the remaining 200 quid put in the tank and have some VTEC fun.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get dixon to grease the bolts when he does the geo, make sure it is a fast road set up
Get some better/softer tyres and a drivers bucket seat
Spend the balance on driver training

Or if you prefer

lower front & rear braces to stiffen it upo a bit
heavier gear knob to get more feel from the change
Brake master cylinder brace
Lighter exhaust and lose some other weight (spare, tools etc)

Quick Reply: £1000 to spend on the car