UK & Ireland Meets & Events - Past Archive of old meets in the past

Track Day: Spa Francorchamps - Mon 6th & Tue 7th July *

Old 07-09-2015, 12:27 AM
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Day 3 - Another sunny morning and it was off to the circuit for some more fun.

A surprise awaited us as another S2000 was present. Rob and his dad appeared in a lovely MCB S2000.

Gerry had some more instruction and got on much better with a different instructor. I just pounded round as usual, the only small problem seemed to be that air is getting into the radiator somehow and the coolant bottle then overflowed resulting in some coolant in my "not pristine at all" engine bay. Temperatures remained ok, but I decided to do shorter sessions and "short shift" at 8,500rpm to keep things a little safer. I then had to do a fluid transfer from coolant bottle back to the radiator every so often - huge thanks to Gerry for his mechanical advice on that one. My car will be off to TGM for a proper inspection soon, probably head gasket related.

I did manage to better some of my minimum speeds round some of the corners, including 98mph through Eau Rouge/Radillon, and a 110mph 4-wheel drift through Blanchimont which was a mix of terrifying and brilliant.

There were lots of interesting/fast cars present, Porsche GT3s by the dozen, the usual collection of Caterhams, including a couple of 620Rs, a couple of McLarens, lots of old 964 911s, a fair few Radicals, Nobles, Ginettas (one of which crashed, sadly), an Aston Vantage (which broke down), lots of Exiges/Elises, M3s and so on.

However this topped them all:

Here is it on the pit lane, what a lovely noise: https://goo.gl/photo...89E5WcHp5yaJV27

All three S2000s continued enjoying the lovely circuit, however, the sunshine didn't last and at about 3.30 the rain came. After las year when it was like driving on ice, I was less than keen to go out but both Rob and Gerry were much braver than me and ventured out. Rob returned after a few laps and said it was ok, with a surprising amount of grip. Gerry just kept on going, enjoying the lack of other traffic.

Here's Rob in the rain: https://goo.gl/photo...GC7mUtJDTZyXNo7
And Gerry, too: https://goo.gl/photo...wqoMPa8V3FzyEc9

After Rob's news, I decided to "man up" and head out, and he was right, there was a reasonable amount of grip, and it was an ok experience, but I felt very much on tenterhooks and it really wasn't as much fun as in the dry. Gerry was still out there, pounding round. I think he had returned to the pits, only to put the hood up!

I went out again and spotted Gerry in my rear view mirror, so I let him past and tried to follow him around, but I didn't dare to keep up, knowing that one false move and I could be in the barriers, especially as I don't have VSA!

I decided at that point to call it a day, having had a great time and the car was still in one piece.

The end of the day came, so we packed up, said farewell to the circuit and returned for a well deserved

Day 4, an easy journey back to Blighty for me.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like a great way to spend a few days. Would really like to do something like this next year when I hopefully will have a few more trackdays under my belt.

Random question Simon, what is the story with the sticker numbers? Is it a requirement or something?
Old 07-09-2015, 05:41 AM
UK Moderator

Originally Posted by japcrap
Looks like a great way to spend a few days. Would really like to do something like this next year when I hopefully will have a few more trackdays under my belt.

Random question Simon, what is the story with the sticker numbers? Is it a requirement or something?
Every car is given a front sticker with the number so that the pit lane marshalls know that a car is permitted to go on track. The rear numbers are there to help identify any poor driving standards. This is especially the case when there are 40-odd 911s there, often of the same colour!
Old 07-09-2015, 06:15 AM

Seems logical and organised. How many miles do you think you clocked up over the 2 days on track?
Old 07-09-2015, 06:23 AM
UK Moderator

Seems logical and organised. How many miles do you think you clocked up over the 2 days on track?
Not entirely sure but I used about 140 litres of fuel and at around 12mpg, that equates to 370 or so. I've done as many as 500 over the two days in the past.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:41 AM

Wow, a fair amount of laps then! Sorry to ask so many questions, but what vehicle consumables did you go through? I'm guessing at least a set of tyres and pads?
Old 07-09-2015, 07:19 AM
UK Moderator

Wow, a fair amount of laps then! Sorry to ask so many questions, but what vehicle consumables did you go through? I'm guessing at least a set of tyres and pads?
Tyres are fine, a bit melty on the edges but plenty of tread left. This set has also seen a day at Abingdon.

Pads - guessing about 1/3rd to 1/2 through a set of Dixcel Type RA pads. (Fronts were new, rears were bought 2nd hand and had seen one track day).

The fuel bill will be around £200 I guess.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:50 AM

That sounds like good going to me. If you go again next year and I still have my car I may have to tag along.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:40 AM
UK Moderator

That sounds like good going to me. If you go again next year and I still have my car I may have to tag along.
I'm pondering retiring my car from track days (again) so we'll see about that. I love going to Spa so may hire a Caterham or something in future...
Old 07-09-2015, 10:57 AM

Oh ok why is that? You've had the car a fair while do you think you will ever sell it?

Quick Reply: Track Day: Spa Francorchamps - Mon 6th & Tue 7th July *