UK & Ireland Meets & Events - Past Archive of old meets in the past

Supermeet Driving

Old 09-20-2002, 05:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did SM1 - missed SM2.

Conceptually I thought the three group idea for SM2 was excellent.

When I went on SM1
a: I had never been on a thing like this before (lots of courses, track days, etc in the past - like most of us)
b: I had switched from doing 40k miles a year for yonks to doing 3k miles/a for the latter three years - and v conscious of the fall-off in driving skills
c: Had about 2.5-3k miles up on the S.

So did not want to hold any one up - and struggled v hard to stay at the back of the single pack that made SM1.

Only saw 2 incidents on SM1 that were marginally questionable - but hell you see worse than that every day of the week!

Groups seemed a super answer to this problem.

Back to normal now - so might venture into the intermediate group next time round
Old 09-20-2002, 01:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by PWE 896
I haven't discovered yet what happened between the intermediate and slow groups.
I'm pretty sure I was at the back of the first group, If that's correct, then the first of the next group caught up just before the lake.

-Brian.
Old 09-20-2002, 02:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by bmarshall

I'm pretty sure I was at the back of the first group, If that's correct, then the first of the next group caught up just before the lake.

-Brian.
Which lake, Brian?

Lake Vyrnwy was the first lake. Then we went over the single track mountain road to Bala lake. Then around Lake Celyn to Trawsfynydd
Old 09-20-2002, 04:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I must hold my hand up and admit that I overtook several S2000s on the last stretch to Shrewsbury. I apologise to the drivers concerned - the group was going slower than the intermediate group I had joined earlier in the afternoon and I had waited until a long straight before choosing to overtake. It wasnt meant to impress or give anyone a fright, unfortunately I had committed myself to the overtaking maneourve when the van approached and I thought I'd cause more concern if I tried to force my into the middle of the line of traffic. I'm not trying to excuse my action and it was definitely an error of judgment. Apologies again and suffice to say I won't make the same mistake again.

PS I don't believe I'm the "white line straddler" - I find it very satisfying to feel the car stick true to a corner - As S200 VMC says, the car is more than up to it!
Old 09-20-2002, 04:43 PM

Originally posted by craig armstrong
I must hold my hand up and admit that I overtook several S2000s
Good man!

If you're gonna overtake, overtake the best!

Go for it Craig!

Keith
Old 09-20-2002, 10:31 PM

Full marks for holding up your hand, Craig. We all make errors of judgement from time to time (see my earlier post regarding my own ) The key is learning from them, as you say.

I think all of us learned a lot that day and the collective experience will just go to make an even better SuperMeet3 As far as I'm concerned, you will be very welcome, wherever it's held,

Pete
Old 09-21-2002, 12:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by PWE 896
Which lake, Brian?

Lake Vyrnwy was the first lake. Then we went over the single track mountain road to Bala lake. Then around Lake Celyn to Trawsfynydd
Lake Vyrnwy - where there was a narrow, but not single track road through woodlands at the side of the lake. The turn off from this, was when the road went single track IIRC. HTH.

-Brian.
Old 09-21-2002, 01:02 AM

Having done SM1/2 The idea of three groups was better. As many of you know I had just got my 02 and only had 350 miles on the clock.

For this reason I joined the first (slow) group. I found that I had time to see what I came to see, and enjoyed ever second. We arrived at PortM 10 minutes before the second group, this is because we didn't stop 1/2 way, the second group did.

On the last leg it was good that all groups came together, the sight in my RVM was unbelievable.

Dave
Old 09-21-2002, 01:47 AM

Originally posted by hazdjc
the sight in my RVM was unbelievable.

Dave
Thank you very much Dave, that must've been me

At least up to the point where I turned off to the Prince Rupert

I thought the driving was good, I did see one silly overtaking move IMO but drive anywhere for a couple of hours and you'll normally see more than that.
I also saw some considerate moves, locals indicating and pulling over to let us by etc and UK Paul behind me pulling over after a left/right to give the car behind a chance to spot him. I also slowed to keep him in sight as did Dave and the leading car.

Wooly
Old 09-21-2002, 02:01 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Didn't attend, so these thoughts are obviously not based on experience at SM.

Firstly, why can't any 'fast' group go first, not last, in convoy? They can then whizz off into the distance and everyone else can catch them up in good time. They'll have to hang around for everyone but surely that's better than a situation that positively encourages bunching and overtaking?

I don't hang about on the road, but if there is one thing guaranteed to get me concerned, it is someone anxious to get past me and possibly endangering MY life as well as their own. There is usually more than enough to worry about in front alone.

Of course, I didn't see any of the 'moments' described, but it sounds like there were some rather narrow escapes.

Maybe the next SM could be a combination of posing and thrashing (grace and pace?) by having a day or two based around a track day, with the road speeds toned down.

Just a final thought; I wouldn't think this idea of fast, intermediate groups, etc would look too good in the aftermath and investigation of an accident......

Like the idea of meeting up though, and will definitely try to make the next one.

Quick Reply: Supermeet Driving