UK & Ireland Meets & Events - Past Archive of old meets in the past

Supermeet Driving

Old 09-18-2002, 12:19 PM
Ade

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supermeet Driving

I may sound a bit like a pious old fart, but...

It was very gratifying to find how sensibly everyone drove on Saturday. Not having driven with anyone from the board before I had no idea what to expect. I was afraid I would have someone in my boot half the time and see folk making noddy questionable manoeuvres at speed.

However I felt the driving was fast, but safe. People stuck to urban speed limits (more or less) and I didn't see any foolhardy overtaking.

For me this was another major plus for the day.
Old 09-18-2002, 02:42 PM

I totally agree Ade. I really didn't know what to expect also but it was a lovely drive and done at a sensible pace. I think the balance between fast and slow was just right. I don't think we upset to many off the locals apart from random farmer type chaps standing in the road flagging us down to ask politely to reduce the speed Or the odd OAP with a stick that tried to decapitate the driver of the next car that passed by at the speed limit

Personally the opportunity to do any foolhardy overtaking was soon stopped by the voice that came from my passenger seat saying - not that I wanted to of course
Old 09-19-2002, 06:42 AM

Overall, the standard of responsible driving was extremely high.

BUT... was the S2000 who overtook a line of moving cars (that line including at least 4 other SuperMeet S2000s) just to gain a few places forward on the return from Portmeirion, finally forcing an on-coming white van to slow down, really one of us?.

AND... one of our number consistently drove straddling the central white line, perhaps not realising that the S2000 can take any corner (well almost) at high speed on the inside of that line, and perhaps not having learned that if there is a central white line then no matter how narrow the road appears to be, there must be a standard vehicle lane width on either side of the line?

Both these vehicles were discourteous to oncoming road users who were forced to slow down because they could not be sure that the S2000 driver would get out of the way in time.

'nuff said. An excellent weekend, let's have more of the same!
Old 09-19-2002, 06:47 AM
tnt

Originally posted by ijbarratt
Personally the opportunity to do any foolhardy overtaking was soon stopped by the voice that came from my passenger seat saying
I've noticed this as well. Is this a feature that's fitted as standard or is it a dealer-fitted option? Is there anyway to turn it off?
Old 09-19-2002, 07:27 AM

Afraid to say that I saw one or two questionable manoevers in the fast group, worrying me sufficiently to drop right back in case said individual either

a) Lost the car on a corner due to mid-corner braking at high speed.
b) Collected an oncoming car whilst approacing blind bends and hills while straddling the white line, again at high speed.
c) Was collected by an oncoming car (or at one point, a lorry) whilst overtaking on a blind hill or bend, which they did on more than one occasion.

I truly think that there were several lucky escapes for this person, clearly they were out of their depth in the fast group and took unecessary risks to keep up with the leaders.
If I made one of the manoevers this person made on the road whilst in my race car (where all the cars travel in the same direction and there is ample run off) I would be black flagged and have my licence endorsed.
I know I wasn't the only one to notice this.
We all had excellent directions from Pete, there was no need to take risks just to keep behind the car in front - we regularly lost sight of the leaders in the fast group, and not once did we miss a turning.

On the whole though, standards were high and safety was good - I may well have a word with the person in question at a later date - I don't think they were aware of some of the dangers they were putting themselves and other in, so I am not going to 'name and shame', I would rather speak directly to them when appropriate.
Old 09-19-2002, 07:37 AM

[QUOTE]I've noticed this as well. Is this a feature that's fitted as standard or is it a dealer-fitted option?
Old 09-19-2002, 10:20 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MarkB
[B]I truly think that there were several lucky escapes for this person, clearly they were out of their depth in the fast group and took unecessary risks to keep up with the leaders.
Old 09-19-2002, 10:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by NeilW
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BUT... was the S2000 who overtook a line of moving cars (that line including at least 4 other SuperMeet S2000s) just to gain a few places forward on the return from Portmeirion, finally forcing an on-coming white van to slow down, really one of us?.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I saw this too and I'm afraid it was someone on here. I'm glad to say it was the only piece of "dodgey" driving I saw. I think the splitting into groups helped this, as people were driving with others of a similar pace. There's nothing more frustrating than being stuck behind someone a lot slower than yourself.
I hope this wasn't me I don't recall a white van, but there was one point, on the main road between Llanidloes and Newtown, where I overtook a 'civilian' and there was another S2000 ahead of it and then a gap and then a group of S2000's ahead of that. I had built up such a spurt when I passed the 'civilian' that I went on past the S2000 as well and then suddenly the line of S2000's ahead slowed and I had to brake quite heavily when I dropped into line. I can't remember who it was I overtook but I said to Jill "If I was that bloke in that S2000 behind, I would think S2000 PE was a complete arsehole ) I hope it was the only silly thing I did though

Pete
Old 09-19-2002, 11:08 AM

Originally posted by PWE 896
I hope it was the only silly thing I did though
Pete - having driven behind you for most of the afternoon I thought your driving was excellent, taking no unecessary risks (or necessary ones!).

I certainly made one mistake on the day, although it wasnt anything that would have caused anyone else harm. MarkB was kind enough to be behind me at the time.

Keith
Old 09-19-2002, 12:05 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PWE 896
[B]I hope this wasn't me

Quick Reply: Supermeet Driving