mattxx +1
Old 08-23-2010, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gee-money,Aug 23 2010, 07:02 AM
put me down too i'll be there!
Done
Old 08-24-2010, 07:19 AM

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts

Just checked the 5 day weather forcast's and it seems to be ok for the East coast where we are going.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by CHIPPO,Aug 24 2010, 07:19 AM
Just checked the 5 day weather forcast's and it seems to be ok for the East coast where we are going.
Yes indeed, its looking promising....so far
Old 08-24-2010, 10:06 AM
Administrator
Gold Member (Premium)
Admin

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

It will be fine, rain doesn't bother us
Old 08-24-2010, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by AquilaEagle,Aug 24 2010, 10:06 AM
It will be fine, rain doesn't bother us
Well judging by IOM (which you had the roof UP most of the time on the Sat )
Old 08-25-2010, 05:22 PM

i sadly wont be able to make this, as i'll be in coventry that weekend.

but i have a question, i currently have lovegroova's boot rack, and i would like ot get it back to him, is any one on this meet likely to be seeing lovegroove in the near future, who wouldn't mind taking it back for me.

easiest way is to fit it straight to the boot on the person taking it.

cheers in advance
Old 08-26-2010, 12:37 AM

Hi All

As the meet is upon us, and after my final route recce, I just wanted to point out a few minor changes to the route. I have added a detour on the return journey, so instead of yawning our way down the A12 back to Ipswich, we can follow the A1120 tourist route to Framlingham Castle, and then back to the finishing point.

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/daysout...lingham-castle/

This detour has been incorporated into the latest satnav file, although if time starts to become and issue, we can ignore this part of the route and head straight for the finish. Again if anybody requires this Satnav file please pm me with your email address.

In addition, due to limited facilities/space in the existing venue (pub at Orford) I have decided to move our lunch venue to The Plough and Sail, Snape Maltings, http://www.debeninns.co.uk/ploughandsail/
This is a far better location to stop for lunch as it has better parking, more facilities (shops, galleries and scenic views) I plan to get to get the first group to Snape just before midday and eat around 12.30. This venue is still on the original route, about 15 miles after Orford, however we will still drive to Orford for a leg stretch and take in the scenery

As of yesterday, the route is free of roads works (apart from one very minor inconvenience just north of Leiston) however all attendees should be aware the first leg (Ipswich to Snape) does contain some entertaining and narrow roads, please be mindful this is a rural community, and the potential for farm machinery on the roads is very real! (Hopefully no cows )

Well I will brief you all on Saturday, however please see below a plagiarised document (thanks Simon) regarding courtesy and driver awareness which I fully endorse and would like to think will all the attendees.

‘The route is a lovely drive on a mixture of A, B and C-roads, I try to make sure that the pace is dependant on the slowest driver, and we do wait to let folk catch up if necessary. We stick to the 30 and 40 limits through the villages.

Some notes on convoying and overtaking:
1) I try to keep the pace reasonable, if you feel that it's too fast, please feel under no pressure to keep up. Drive to your limits, not mine, or anyone else's. We will wait at the next turning.

2) Overtaking - getting 5 or more cars (in this case, two groups of around 8 cars) to overtake can be a tricky business. Patience and safety are key here.

3) It's your responsibility to make sure you can overtake safely. If you're unsure, then don't overtake. Do not feel pressured into overtaking to keep up. Chances are that I am stuck behind another vehicle half a mile up the road, so you'll catch up anyway. Err on the side of caution at all times. Remember, We will wait at the next turning.

4) One other thing to remember, given the roads are quiet, certainly on the way there, it means that there isn't much traffic coming the other way so overtaking opportunities are plentiful. There's no need to take any sort of risk when overtaking.

5) If the cars in front have overtaken and it's been a couple of minutes before you've been able to overtake, there is no need to drive at excessive speeds in order to catch up. A lead rider was fined on the basis of the speeds following riders were doing. I do not want to be fined for your actions, so please be considerate and bear this in mind. And if not for me, then for anyone else using the roads.

As mentioned above, the lead cars will either be stuck behind someone else just up the road, or will be waiting before the next turning (or perhaps in the next village where appropriate), so simply stay on the same road at a similar pace until you catch up. Even if you're unable to overtake, you'll only be a couple of minutes behind at the most, so there's no pressure at all.

6) Think of it this way, the leaders overtake a car doing 40mph on an 60mph section. After 5 minutes, the leaders will be 1.7 miles ahead. At 40mph, that means you'll only be 2 1/2 minutes behind, which is not a lot in the grand scheme of things, so there's no need to worry about keeping people waiting.

7) If you are "stuck" behind someone who is going a bit slowly, please keep a safe distance and do not try to push them along. Backing off a bit on the straights and then enjoying the corners is a good way to approach things’.

Finally, the weather is predicated to be fine (so don’t sue me!) and with all the people attending, I expect this to be a great day….

Above this is all about having fun….so please do!

Old 08-26-2010, 03:47 AM

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Great stuff Rob, really looking forward to this.

Do you have a route us non sat-navers can print out in case we get lost ?

Quick Reply: Suffolk Summer Meet (SSM)