UK & Ireland Meets & Events - Past Archive of old meets in the past

South [of] London Run - Sunday 4th August *

Old 06-27-2013, 06:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default South [of] London Run - Sunday 4th August *

Hello all,

So I thought I should make a new post for a drive South of London. Seemed like there was decent interest but it didn't quite happen. 4th August is my first free Sunday since buying my car so I'm keen to take it for a run.

Date/Time:
Sunday 4th August.
Leaving central London at 8:00am to get to Guildford stop at 8:30am. (Might move times 30mins earlier)

Fuel:
Petrol stations are at the start in London and nearby to the Guildford stop (assuming the Sainsbury's petrol station is closed).

Route: Google Map Link
Let me know if you have any ideas/improvements for the route as it's not tried and tested. Also figure we'll need a lunch/break stop somewhere near the bottom. I'll update the route with any changes. I don't have a SatNav but if you use Google Maps you should be able to save this route to your phone. (Maybe do that nearer the time incase of any changes).

Attendees: (2 or more = a meet!)
Me!
chao888
DCC
andy2000
Gar09 (Guildford)

Maybes:
tubbs
AquilaEagle
spacyuk (Guildford)

Let me know if you want to come along.

Cheers,

Simon

As with others, I'm stealing the excellent general driving info blurb from other posts (thanks!).

Some notes on convoying and overtaking:
1) I try to keep the pace reasonable, if you feel that it's too fast, please feel under no pressure to keep up. Drive to your limits, not mine, or anyone else's. We will wait at the next turning.

2) Overtaking - getting 5 or more cars (and we've had as many as 15 on occasion) to overtake can be a tricky business. Patience and safety are key here.

3) It's your responsibility to make sure you can overtake safely. If you're unsure, then don't overtake. Do not feel pressured into overtaking to keep up. Chances are that I am stuck behind another vehicle half a mile up the road, so you'll catch up anyway. Err on the side of caution at all times. Remember, We will wait at the next turning.

4) One other thing to remember, given the roads are quiet, certainly on the way there, it means that there isn't much traffic coming the other way so overtaking opportunities are plentiful. There's no need to take any sort of risk when overtaking.

5) If the cars in front have overtaken and it's been a couple of minutes before you've been able to overtake, there is no need to drive at excessive speeds in order to catch up. This is especially relevant in light of this ruling http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...ading-rideout/ where a lead rider was fined on the basis of the speeds following riders were doing. I do not want to be fined for your actions, so please be considerate and bear this in mind. And if not for me, then for anyone else using the roads.
As mentioned above, the lead cars will either be stuck behind someone else just up the road, or will be waiting before the next turning (or perhaps in the next village where appropriate), so simply stay on the same road at a similar pace until you catch up. Even if you're unable to overtake, you'll only be a couple of minutes behind at the most, so there's no pressure at all.

6) Think of it this way, the leaders overtake a car doing 40mph on an 60mph section. After 5 minutes, the leaders will be 1.7 miles ahead. At 40mph, that means you'll only be 2 1/2 minutes behind, which is not a lot in the grand scheme of things, so there's no need to worry about keeping people waiting. Most NSL sections on this run are only a few miles, so it's even less of a worry.

7) If you are "stuck" behind someone who is going a bit slowly, please keep a safe distance and do not try to push them along. Backing off a bit on the straights and then enjoying the corners is a good way to approach things.

8) Remember to have fun

(Edit by Minvo: On S2KUK Calendar || On S2KUK Schedule)
Old 06-27-2013, 07:03 AM
DCC

I'm in! Well done for taking the initiative!
Old 06-27-2013, 07:50 AM

If my diary stays clear, I'm in
Old 06-27-2013, 08:44 AM

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

currently free for this so count me in.

Just a word of caution. It is the Prudential cycle event that day in Surrey.
This is the route:
http://www.prudentialridelondon.co.u...nd+Profile.pdf

If the Olympics and the Tour of Britain are anything to go by, the Surrey hills will be a nightmare to get around due to road closures and the crowds that are expected to line the route. Not to mention the huge number of cyclists around. Surrey is cycling mad since the Olympics !
not trying to put a damper on the run but consider carefully the route and the timing.

Apart from that you have chosen a good route. I'm local to most of this so if you need any help sussing out the best roads and to do a recce a day or two before then let me know.

Andy
Old 06-27-2013, 08:50 AM

Yep I am in
Old 06-27-2013, 10:26 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

If I can make it I'll come
Old 06-27-2013, 11:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm interested will meet at Guildford if I can make it, would suggest an earlier start if possible, if you have ever been on a Ricky run you will realise how quickly traffic builds up!
Old 06-27-2013, 11:46 AM

Excellent! Made a note above.

Ha, I'd forgotten about the Prudential Ride, which is crazy seeing as I've been training (for the fun of it...) with a couple of mates that are doing it. I'll have a look at the route again around Dorking and see what the deal is with road closures
Old 06-27-2013, 11:47 AM

You think trying to leave Guildford at 7:30am is early enough?
Old 06-27-2013, 01:22 PM

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by strobinson1
Excellent! Made a note above.

Ha, I'd forgotten about the Prudential Ride, which is crazy seeing as I've been training (for the fun of it...) with a couple of mates that are doing it. I'll have a look at the route again around Dorking and see what the deal is with road closures

we usually get a note through our door telling us about the closures. I'll keep an eye out for it. As I understand it, it should be a rolling road closure so if we are early enough maybe it won't be a problem.

Quick Reply: South [of] London Run - Sunday 4th August *