UK & Ireland Meets & Events - Past Archive of old meets in the past

S2KI Trackday- Rockingham Sunday 20th May

Old 05-21-2007, 07:59 AM
PJL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys
Thanks to everyone who showed their appreciation for the S2 yesterday - The quest for the Perfect Track Day S2000 is long (& Expensive!) - but as most will see, I keep doing a bit more every time we meet - I can still see another 2 / 3 Yrs development in this car yet !

Any way - I thought the Track (& weather for once) was GREAT - nice & flowing with several elevation & camber changes - with plenty of overtaking room around the main Oval Track - Hitting 120+ on the Oval before the Chicane

Will put this on my list of Circuits to do again

It was good to meet with Chris Franklin - what a refreshing surprise to meet someone who obviously knows his stuff & projects so much enthusiasm - took him out for a Session - it was good to see that he was very pleased with what the S2 is capable of (he noted the greater Front-End Grip) & that this will help him to persue the development route that he is working on with several other members - ie improve thier cars as well

Booked Chris to do a full Analysis of the S2's performance re Handleing, Aero, Balance etc during my Afternoon Session at Donnington on the 31st July - This will be realy usefull info for everyone

Did 140+ miles on Track during the Day - It as also the first Track Day that I had been able to run with the Yokohama's from the very first to last lap of the day (its allways been damp / too cold of late)

First time on Track with the 'Aero Package' - Front Splitter + Rear High Level Spoiler

The Rear we kept on a 'Low' Setting & will experipement more with when Chris does his Calcs etc in July (although it was noted that the Rear Boot Lid was 'Deforming' under the Rear Spoiler Mounts - may it was pushing down with some force after all !)- The Front Splitter did an excellant 'Flymo' impersination when Mark was following me & I had a short detour across the Grass - Glad to see that it took the abuse all in its stride !

It was a Warm Day circa 18/19 Degrees on Track - but I was experiencing a set of Hot Temps re the Oil & Water ! - I have the Alarms set to go off at :- Water 90 Degrees + Oil 120 Degrees - both of which were going off after a long hard session (this was the first time I have ever experienced either of them going off whilst on Track !) - I have a replacement Radiator coming soon (I know that the existing Rad is showing 'dark /Damp' patches - hence this may the reason why the Water & then the Oil Temps are Higher !)

Anyway - I took this a sign to return to the Pits - Allways after a Full Wind / Cool Down Lap - Normal Driving is fine but I suppose thats the purpose of the Gauges so as to pre-warn you of any potential disaster !

Now its time to prepare for Anglesey - a Double Header - Sat & Sun in June - Time to plan the next set of enhancements !

Cheers

Peter
Old 05-21-2007, 08:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dembo,May 21 2007, 03:52 PM
Shouldn't buy those cheap tyres. I'd done about 7 or 8 laps by then too. I never had any problem with the tyres getting too hot, just brake fluid.

I did let lots of air out in the morning, to (I thought) 32 psi whilst hot. But when Chris measured them they were more like 36psi. But I think I've definitely been running too high on track, usually going for 32 or 34 psi cold.
I think the S02s probably have sitffer tyre walls Dave. I also think 34psi may be a touch too high for my tyres (cold) for track days. Funny how a couple of psi seems to make such a difference. I will do my level best to knacker my tyres before Donington then put on some different tyres
Old 05-21-2007, 10:01 AM

PHOTOS

Old 05-21-2007, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Vixen,May 21 2007, 07:01 PM

PHOTOS

I was too busy to take pictures
Old 05-21-2007, 11:36 AM

BAT are uploading the pictures now...

Old 05-21-2007, 11:37 AM