UK & Ireland Meets & Events - Past Archive of old meets in the past

S2KI Trackday- Rockingham Sunday 20th May

Old 05-18-2007, 12:28 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by PJL,May 18 2007, 08:11 AM
Also swapped the Washer Bottle for a Smaller / Racing Size version - The OEM Version is HUGE (in 7 Yrs I've never run out of Water - Now I know why !) - Saved another 5Kgs
You could have just left it empty.

Nice wing .

Got a price for a CF driveshaft yet?
Old 05-18-2007, 12:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PJL,May 18 2007, 08:11 AM
Hi guys

Quick pic in preparation for the FUN on Sunday

The S2 is now ready for action - Done the Oil / Filter Change yesterday + a New Set of Rear Tyres

Rear Pads on stand-by mode - pos have to change during the day if its a heavy Braking sort of circuit

Trying with the Cat off this time round (takes off a good 5Kgs) - lets see what sort of noise it makes now
(took off the Air Pump as well - both can be slipped back on for MOT etc)

Had the Geometry Checked & Corner Weighted
Rear Camber = -2.4
Front Camber = -3.3

Removed the Mirrors for something a bit less intrusive / bulky !

Also swapped the Washer Bottle for a Smaller / Racing Size version - The OEM Version is HUGE (in 7 Yrs I've never run out of Water - Now I know why !) - Saved another 5Kgs

On the Road Weight is now Officially 1185Kgs - If you take that the OEM weight is 1260 Kgs + All the Fluids / Spare Wheel etc - then its realistic to say that the On the Road Weight of a Standard S2 would be nearer to 1325 Kgs ( Honda claim circa 70 / 80 Kgs will be added with all the Fluids / Extras etc)

That makes for a Reduction in Weight to date of circa 140Kgs ! - Still a lot more to do yet - I'm aiming to reduce by another 60Kgs, then I think I will run out of realistic options / ideas !!

As you will see - Since adding the Roof Vent, I needed to balance the visual impact o the Car, so I have now added a Rear Aluminium Spoiler - Fully Adjustable with 2 Elelements + A Front Splitter to balance the Aero Forces car 'front to back' - These are only fitted for Track use - they are a bit agressive for Day-to-Day Driving !!

Anyway - this brings you all up to date (need to update my Signiture now)

See you all on sunday

Peter

Also swapped
Nice work!

Loving your dedication.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:46 AM
JG

PJL...looks awesome...

Someone pointed me at another vid of Rockingham, in an Atom:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt-9U1eSyrU&NR=1

I'm really looking forward to seeing/hearing them buzz round. Really can't wait now!!!

From the UK Circuit Guide here's the corner list, the number in brackets represents the corner's importance for a good lap, not surprisingly the Chicane and the hairpins are rated as the most important.

Turn1 - Chicane - Fast in and fast out (2)
Turn2 - Deene - Line(B), with early power probably represents the best qualifying solution. (7) (this is the line followed by the Atom and the Lotus in the vids)
Turn3 - Yentwood - Power from the turn point, for a slingshot up the hill that follows (8)
Turn4 - Chapman - A good apex makes the end (9)
Turn5 - Pif Paf - Easy initial turn to maintain composure for car and driver (11)
Turn6 - Kirby - Late Apex, miss the first (4)
Turn7 - Gracelands - Late turn to late apex (6)
Turn8 - Tarzan - Discipline not drama saves time (3)
Turn9 - Brook - Brake late and use the apex kerb (5)
Turn10 - Gretton - Late turn uses camber and makes for straight exit (1)
Old 05-18-2007, 12:49 AM
ge2

Been stuck in Holland for a while which meant I couldn't do Brands GP on Wednesday so I'm really looking forward to this one now.

GF's coming along for her second track day, I'm trying to get her addicted so I can do even more

The Caterham's been treated to some new rear suspension bits so the camber's not being fudged with shims (well, not so many shims ). New starter motor going on today and I'm experimenting with slightly less castor this time.

I need to start planning the Anglesey weekend soon because it's coming round quickly.

Peter - I must get a passenger lap this time
Old 05-18-2007, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by ge2,May 18 2007, 09:49 AM
GF's coming along for her second track day, I'm trying to get her addicted so I can do even more
My plan too - quite a few gf's coming along to this one.

My mate Chris' gf is coming along - good job really - it's her car
Old 05-18-2007, 12:53 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

It's gonna be windy, is that the real reason for PJL's enourmous rear wing? Avast me Hearties!
Old 05-18-2007, 01:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lovegroova,May 18 2007, 09:53 AM
It's gonna be windy, is that the real reason for PJL's enourmous rear wing? Avast me Hearties!
With all that extra drag I think we'll all be flying past PJL on the straights.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova,May 18 2007, 09:53 AM
In all seriousness it can get very windy there, so make sure you wrap up warm folks

I'm clock watching already before I can go home and get some work done to my car ready for Sunday.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by PJL,May 18 2007, 12:11 AM
That makes for a Reduction in Weight to date of circa 140Kgs ! - Still a lot more to do yet - I'm aiming to reduce by another 60Kgs, then I think I will run out of realistic options / ideas !!
Why not make it remote controlled and then you'll save another 80kg +
Old 05-18-2007, 02:17 AM

Are we nearly there yet?

My g/f is having second thoughts, as she can't go out on track unless she can borrow an open face helmet, and also as she's not really into cars, she'll be really bored. Is there anything in the surrounding area that she could do all day. Any towns shopping areas nearby that are worthwhile visiting?

Quick Reply: S2KI Trackday- Rockingham Sunday 20th May