UK & Ireland Meets & Events - Past Archive of old meets in the past

S2Ki Trackday- Rockingham Sunday 1st March 2009

Old 03-01-2009, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree another great S2K trackday, thanks Rich for organising the day.

Slippery start then a lovely dry sunny afternoon.

Thanks to Jonny & the Book a track gang for a good event.

See you at Spa!!
Old 03-01-2009, 11:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, it was a wonderful day, although i didn't track my car. It was really great meeting all of you. quite funny looking at cars spinning on the sighting laps too.

Ninjadave, lovegroova: thanks again for the passenger ride.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:43 AM

Great stuff by the sounds of things.

Where are the pictures??
Old 03-01-2009, 12:07 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by lovegroova,Mar 1 2009, 07:39 PM
As I now have a brake warning light, I guess I'll need to try the Dixcels again tomorrow.
Simon, the brake warning light will be on because your pads have worn down, the caliper pistons have moved out accordingly so the brake fluid level in the master cylinder has dropped too low and hence the warning light.

You can either replace the pads or, if the pads still have some life in them, just top up the brake fluid a bit.

If you do top up the fluid, just be aware that when you do replace your pads and wind the pistons back you may have to remove the excess brake fluid from the master cylinder reservoir.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:12 PM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Thanks Rich,

I'll try to pop the Dixcel pads back in tomorrow as the rear pads are pretty much dead now and see how I go from there.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:20 PM
ge2

Sounds like a good day was had

How was the R300 Rich? I can see myself owning one in the not too distant future.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:31 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

R300 was actually a lot like a superlight, just with more power and more grip but similar handling.

Unlike the R400 which is just mind blowingly quick from engine power (and almost too quick for trackday fun as the speed differential is so great) the R300 just seems to do exactly what a superlight does, but does everything that bit better.

Only had two sessions in it as we didn't get our hands on it until about 2.30ish but started to get as comfortable in it as i am in Bat6 by the end of the second session and felt like i could throw it around a bit. But bearing in mind it was only 2-3 weeks old i didn't want to push too hard.

I'm sure you won't be disappointed when you drive one
Old 03-01-2009, 12:33 PM
pip

Great day - Glad to be of service Rich
Old 03-01-2009, 12:41 PM

Great day out. Pretty slippy in the morning in the drizzle and fog but cleared up and turned into a lovely day.

Good to see old faces and new ones too

Apologies to Muttly (I think) again for my three figure mph scare. Braided hoses, new fluid and additional venting is on the cards before Oulton. As are the LSD and new tyres. So fingers crossed brake fade will be banished and performance improved significantly.

Our fronts finally gave in late afternoon and just went off leaving the car a complete handful. Not bad for a cheap set of Chinese things which came with the wheels, 7 trackdays completed. Car only passed the MOT last week but wouldn't now with those tyres.

Lack of LSD was a real PITA today especially this morning when we just couldn't get the power down at all. Even later in day we were probably the slowest car on one track on one particular corner.

A big thank you to Paper Layer for the pax laps in the R300, my god.... that is a quick car and well driven Great fun I can see why that's addictive.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fieldl,Mar 1 2009, 09:41 PM
A big thank you to Paper Layer for the pax laps in the R300, my god.... that is a quick car and well driven Great fun I can see why that's addictive.
I have these visions of a second career as an interior decorator...

I nearly missed the drivers' briefing at 9.30 but I don't think having to wait an hour for the next briefing would have beee much of an issue, with hindsight. However, Rich would have missed out my demonstration of avoiding opposite lock in wet conditions

Good to Lee and Nigel's BMW - I forgot it was their car as I followed them around various corners, the back end of the BMW all over the shop as a result of the boys' weight reduction programme - it looked like a real laugh and Lee was certainly enjoying himself when he took out for some pax laps and murdered the car's tyres and brakes

The R300 race car was great fun but I felt the pressure of such a new car being entrusted in our hands. The instructions regarding the different dash controls was a little brief and so I'm glad I pulled up at the end of the pit lane to double check the "hand brake" was in the right position - that will be the brake bias lever then

A great day and I'm looking forward to the next one - Donington??

Quick Reply: S2Ki Trackday- Rockingham Sunday 1st March 2009