UK & Ireland Meets & Events - Past Archive of old meets in the past

S2ki Trackday - Rockingham 18th September 2010

Old 07-27-2010, 01:19 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Unfortunately, as the cars get cheaper the liquidity of the owners also drops and the willingness to spend £200+ on a trackday drops.

That means the owners who do want to do trackdays are on average prepared to pay significantly less than that which in turn means to get an exclusive day the numbers have to go up. A vicious circle in terms or raising numbers and the quality of the day drops.

Unfortunately, quality trackdays are not cheap in terms of up front cost for the day or consumables.

I don't think the S is enough of a track orientated car (like a lotus or a caterham) for owners to automatically assume they're going to do trackdays with them even though they perform so well on track.

I used to be involved with the MR2 club before i bought my first S and they've had exactly the problem described above when they've tried to arrange MR2 only trackdays.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MB,Jun 24 2010, 11:14 AM
I'd like to encourage anyone who's thinking of attending a track day, but hasn't yet done one. If you've any questions about what a day entails or any preparation you need to do to your car, feel free to ask away on this thread
Doubt I can make this as I'm likely out of the country that weekend ;(

Would love to get "setup" for a trackday at some point though, and hope to do one this year. I've read that front and rear towing hooks are a good idea... I'm guessing that getting the geo checked (never been done) would be a good idea, as would making sure the boots are reasonably fresh?

Anything else I should do?
Old 07-27-2010, 02:31 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Reading the Trackday FAQ is a great start

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=582446
Old 07-27-2010, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by lower,Jul 27 2010, 01:19 AM

Unfortunately, as the cars get cheaper the liquidity of the owners also drops and the willingness to spend £200+ on a trackday drops.

That means the owners who do want to do trackdays are on average prepared to pay significantly less than that which in turn means to get an exclusive day the numbers have to go up. A vicious circle in terms or raising numbers and the quality of the day drops.

Unfortunately, quality trackdays are not cheap in terms of up front cost for the day or consumables.

I don't think the S is enough of a track orientated car (like a lotus or a caterham) for owners to automatically assume they're going to do trackdays with them even though they perform so well on track.

I used to be involved with the MR2 club before i bought my first S and they've had exactly the problem described above when they've tried to arrange MR2 only trackdays.
Also could be the time of year, I went to an TAO day a Brands earlier in the year and with the S2ki discount was £125 for open pitlane day and this was very well run. I was lucky with the weather, although damp early in the morning the track had dried out by late morning. Maybe with this sort of price would attract more S2k members.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova,Jul 27 2010, 11:31 AM
Reading the Trackday FAQ is a great start

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=582446

but if your car is safe for the road then its safe for a trackday.

Main things to consider is that tyre and brake wear is higher than on the road (unless its a wet day). So you want to make sure you have plenty of tread on your tyres and meat on your brake pads.

Otherwise, just go for it! You get the screw in tow hook with the car anyway. You just need to fit it on the day.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by TheT0nemeister,Jul 27 2010, 11:52 AM
Also could be the time of year, I went to an TAO day a Brands earlier in the year and with the S2ki discount was £125 for open pitlane day and this was very well run. I was lucky with the weather, although damp early in the morning the track had dried out by late morning. Maybe with this sort of price would attract more S2k members.
That is a good price and an excellent track. But i bet it was a weekday....

which makes getting the numbers hard again.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by lower,Jul 27 2010, 04:14 AM
That is a good price and an excellent track. But i bet it was a weekday....

which makes getting the numbers hard again.
Yes you are correct it was a Friday so the turnout would'nt be so good.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:25 AM

I don't want to crash Jonnys thread too much as it all about getting as many members to Rockingham as possible but just to say the Brands day was one of ours, we tend to run mainly out of season and weekdays (Fridays wherever possible) to keep costs down but still aim to provide the same quality of day as the top guys like BaT.

As has been mentioned, it's a very costly game to run any of these days and some people just can't persuaded that their car is meant to be on track , not many clubs run exclusive days for this reason.

Steve H
Old 07-30-2010, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by ninjadave,Jul 23 2010, 07:50 AM
1) MB - PAID
2) AE - PAID
3) Highside PAID
4) The Loon - PAID!!!
5) lovegroova - PAID
6) Lower with Ballast(chilled) in BaT6 - PAID
7) Simon W - PAID
8) Jay - PAID
9) pip - PAID
10) Paul_J - CODE SENT
11) Storm - PAID
12) Dembo - PAID
13) Ninjadave - PAID
14) Wobbly - PAID
15) NineBolts - PAID
16) PHo - CODE SENT
17) The Tonemeister - PAID
Have to withdraw myself from this.

1) MB - PAID
2) AE - PAID
3) Highside PAID
4) The Loon - PAID!!!
5) lovegroova - PAID
6) Lower with Ballast(chilled) in BaT6 - PAID
7) Simon W - PAID
8) Jay - PAID
9) pip - PAID
10) Storm - PAID
11) Dembo - PAID
12) Ninjadave - PAID
13) Wobbly - PAID
14) NineBolts - PAID
15) PHo - CODE SENT
16) The Tonemeister - PAID
Old 07-30-2010, 04:33 AM

Only just seen this thread, tempted in my 130k shed!

Quick Reply: S2ki Trackday - Rockingham 18th September 2010