UK & Ireland Meets & Events - Past Archive of old meets in the past

S2ki Trackday - Oulton Park - Friday 2nd March 2012

Old 03-03-2012, 10:08 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

It was just the comment before that made me chuckle.

We are all capable of an off
Old 03-03-2012, 10:14 AM

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Nice save from the MR2 driver.

Druids is pretty bad, i always backed off heavily when i went thorugh there in the S2000 knowing it would bite if you got it wrong.

In a FWD car its really good fun!
Old 03-03-2012, 11:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to see that you guys had a decent day with us on Friday, not high numbers from on here but happy punters anyway

Sadly my car retired with a gearbox leak mid-morning but with great weather and a wide range of cars on track all playing nicely it was still a really good day.

No S2k photos ampngst the ones I've got but here's a mix of what we had out there -

Our next outing at Oulton is on Nov 2nd, we've already booked the weather so I'll post details up nearer the time and hope to see a few of you there.

Cheers

Steve H
Old 03-04-2012, 01:38 AM

Received 134 Likes on 113 Posts

Sounds like you guys had a great time, jealous! Glad to hear the Polo is still munching up the track miles!

You may remember I had a little incident there in November. If you're interested, the car is driving well (with some new rear toe arms) and I made my return debut at Keevil yesterday with Motorsport Events. I had some limit handling tuition, which restored most of my confidence in the S/my skills and I even learned about trail braking and left foot braking too. I'll stick a link to my videos (in a new thread) when I've uploaded them for anyone who is interested.

I'll be back to Oulton at some point to show Druids who's boss this time! I'll also be doing Anglesey (BaT) and something at Castle Combe with vouchers I got for my leaving do and Xmas.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by Earls_f20c
Originally Posted by lovegroova' timestamp='1330780963' post='21472569
Back on the RE050as for now, sticky tyres in the garage awaiting summer.

The first vid is post instruction - note the later turn-in points especially at Old Hall, Cascades and Island, you make better use of the camber that way.

Watch out for the bump on the exit at Druids(you can hear it in the engine note - lethal in the wet I expect.
This video demonstrates that bumpy exit at Druids, along with why one should not try and show off to female passengers, and don't start hand gesturing mid exit!!!
I love the line "This guy's going so slowly, I don't know why he's here!".
Best bit is when that 'pointless' guy then tootles past at 00:42

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLSji...e_gdata_player

Epic vid!

Yes, that guy going slowly in what looked like a DB5 - kinda makes sense

The Mrs had an MR2 like that and a similar thing happened to me on the road in the wet. They are actually very controllable and easy to recover.

Glad to see no one had an off on the day though.

Really need to get the engine back in the Westfield!
Old 03-04-2012, 03:31 AM

I had a ride round on Friday in the yellow Westie, it's running about 280 brake and laps the international circuit in 1.48, very very quick, beats my time there by about five seconds and felt fantastic
Old 03-04-2012, 06:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This dude tends to use 'one handed driving', especially around Old Hall and even at Shell Oil hairpin.

Is this just because he's naturally talented? I'm sure if I tried this 'technique' me and my S would be on a gravel diet.

Knickerbrook moment at 3:58!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfRkZ...eature=youtu.b
Old 03-04-2012, 07:22 AM

I bet he was the coolest dude at Oulton that day. One handed driving even the Stig cant do that. wow.

Would have laughed if he over compensated at 3.58 and ended in the gravel. "why did you come off" "i was busy looking cool".
Old 03-04-2012, 08:19 AM

Received 134 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by MB
Oulton looks good, I will use these vids for my race in June. Doesn't like like it would be fun in the wet though!
I'll testify to that! Actually, it's Druids on a drying track that's lethal (it's the slippiest corner, with a hump as you've spotted, and the last to dry out because it's in the shade). Despite giving it respect, I still ended up in the wall after a whopper of a tank slapper.

Looking forward to some race videos, make sure you get a decent mount or two set up! A pedalbox cam would be good for us viewers!
Old 03-04-2012, 08:28 AM

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

The bump at Druids is so bad when you catch it straight on that my speedo was jumping when i went over it as the front wheels lifted slightly off the ground!

Quick Reply: S2ki Trackday - Oulton Park - Friday 2nd March 2012