UK & Ireland Meets & Events - Past Archive of old meets in the past

S2ki Trackday - Oulton Park - Friday 1st March *

Old 03-03-2013, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MB
Originally Posted by RobinA3' timestamp='1362300096' post='22376545
Ah i can see now how the Scirocco managed to embed himself so far into the exit wall at Shell. That is a very odd line to take! Its the 'Carousel slingshot'
Yeah, he locked a wheel and that was that.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:21 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra_Nexus
Looking at Robin's vid, he was certainly attacking the course! Still, it always seems to be a BMW doing something wrong!
It's funny, I'm pretty sure a red flag being caused by a certain Westfield at Anglesey last time I was there - ended up in the tyres IIRC

Moral of the story, there but for the grace of god go all of us...
Old 03-04-2013, 04:26 AM

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Originally Posted by Ultra_Nexus' timestamp='1362302888' post='22376570
Looking at Robin's vid, he was certainly attacking the course! Still, it always seems to be a BMW doing something wrong!
It's funny, I'm pretty sure a red flag being caused by a certain Westfield at Anglesey last time I was there - ended up in the tyres IIRC

lol
Old 03-04-2013, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Originally Posted by Ultra_Nexus' timestamp='1362302888' post='22376570

Indeed. You may have not have noticed that at that exact moment I was in the gents only to come out to my wife running over - Ross (my cousin) has just crashed! Cold tyres and WOT coming out of the pit lane and straight into a wall.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:26 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Originally Posted by lovegroova' timestamp='1362399689' post='22378256
[quote name='Ultra_Nexus' timestamp='1362302888' post='22376570']

Indeed. You may have not have noticed that at that exact moment I was in the gents only to come out to my wife running over - Ross (my cousin) has just crashed! Cold tyres and WOT coming out of the pit lane and straight into a wall.
[/quote]

Oh, I know it wasn't you driving but it wasn't a BMW causing the red flag on that occasion. Don't tell me, Ross' usual car is a BMW

List of cars I can remember causing red flags:
Caterfields (loads of times) - usually through mechanical unreliability, occasionally via crashes
Nissan GTR x 1
Nissan 350Z x 1
Ford Focus x 2
Lotus Evora x1
Lotus Elise x2
Sierra Cosworth x1
E36 BMW x1
Honda S2000 x1
Porsche 911 x1

Loads more but it's certainly not a BMW-specific problem, in fact it sort of reflects the types of car one sees on trackdays in general
Old 03-04-2013, 06:50 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I will claim the S2000 for mine catching fire
Old 03-04-2013, 06:58 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

In that case, Honda S2000 x2
Old 03-04-2013, 07:24 AM
Community Organizer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MB' timestamp='1362352305' post='22377485
[quote name='RobinA3' timestamp='1362300096' post='22376545']
Another video

http://youtu.be/cZnKyKl1V9Y
Ah i can see now how the Scirocco managed to embed himself so far into the exit wall at Shell. That is a very odd line to take! Its the 'Carousel slingshot'
Yeah, he locked a wheel and that was that.
[/quote]

I need to watch this video later (unable to access youtube in work!!) as the Scirocco passed me just before he binned it and was carrying one hell of a speed in to that corner - I was expecting it to spin in front of me, not go virtually straight in to the tyre wall

Can't remember who I had it the car with me at the time but the slide motorsport team managed to get yet another session red flagged after getting a sesion red flagged in the morning for running out of fuel
Old 03-04-2013, 07:42 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

On the red flag note, I appreciate this was unusually high, but i'd like some feedback (PM may be better but happy for open debate) on whether people were happy with the day / number of flags / felt they were dealt with. Ok, this was a relatively cheap day, and certain people (photo'd earlier ) certainly got their track miles in so didnt' affect everyone, more a matter of timing... but it was annoying.

IME though, i've normally seen this number of red flags nipped in the bud by a time out conversation - everyone back in the briefing room - and a warning to all that running out of fuel or spinnging off won't be tolerated any further.

I personally found no issues with actual track manners, and overall was good. Only main gripe was most people totally not using their indicators to let you know you could pass. This can lead to big problem sin something like an Exige, as you can see sweet FA out the back and someone dives in on you.

So any novices who were on this day ALWAYS ALWAYS indicate to let people past, don't just pull over and slow down. It will catch you out one day when you aren't expecting a car to come up your inside / someone turns in on you.

I thought the Civics were well driven too, no issues there and they let the orange beast through
Old 03-04-2013, 08:13 AM

I'd welcome any views on this as well, last time we were here I spent a good part of the day pulling people in who had spun etc but most of them hadn't caused red flags, this time were were pretty unlucky with the number of breakdowns and mechanical failures which caused most of the reds in the morning.

Obviously nobody goes out with the intention of breaking down so I didn't see much point in reducing the track time even further by pulling everyone back in for a firm word or two, generally we prefer to chase up on the few that are causing problems but that's a lot harder with mechanical stuff than with driving standards where we may be able to spot and calm a few drivers down before they cause any real issues.

The Scirocco was black flagged during the morning and spoken to for pressuring other drivers but contrary to what has been suggested they did not run out of fuel earlier on, they had a pump problem that caused their breakdown on track.

I'm glad that ultimately we had the right number of cars that there was still little or no queuing all day but it was frustrating so I'd be happy to look at any suggestions for future improvements.

Steve H

Quick Reply: S2ki Trackday - Oulton Park - Friday 1st March *