UK & Ireland Meets & Events - Past Archive of old meets in the past

S2ki Trackday - Oulton Park - 4th November

Old 11-05-2011, 04:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris's car already on ramps, will be good as before the little incident within a matter of days.
Great pictures Robin, noticeable lack of Accord type r pictures, or was the race car just too quick to focus on lol.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:25 AM

Received 134 Likes on 113 Posts

Nice photos Robin, good to see one photo of my car without the dents!

Nicola and I made our way home today on glorious publc transport after a lovely weekend in Chester, despite the 'incident'. Although it was nice to look out the train window through Shropshire in the sunshine!

Now if only someone had photos of the tankslapper and ensuing bump...!

Thanks to all at the track for offering warm and consoling words and being polite enough to wait until I'd walked away from the car before crowding round for gratuitous ogling!

I'll be back on track next year to rebuild the confidence once I've restocked my savings account!
Old 11-06-2011, 11:20 AM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Sorry to see the damage

Druids in the damp is absolutely lethal (and probably my favourite corner in the country )

Druids fun...
Old 11-07-2011, 01:26 PM

Received 134 Likes on 113 Posts

Some nice driving there, doing exactly what I should've done, keeping your foot in! I released the throttle a little too much, but got back on it, which is probably why the tanks slapper kept going rather than spitting me out sooner. Just wish I had a video to analyse it.

I feel a drift day coming on once the car is back together! Amazing how I can be calm as anything when a kart is sliding around on slicks in the wet, but slap me in a real car and I make a basic mistake like lifting off instinctively on oversteer, when I hadn't during the chicane before druids. Still, can't undo the past, just need to learn from it!

Nice vid though. :thumbup
Old 11-08-2011, 12:56 AM

Don't worry, you're in very good company. The number of people that get caught out by Druids is huge.

I've done days there where 5 or 6 people have been into the barriers before 10am, at which point they came over the tannoy and said 'the next person to go off at druids will sit out the rest of the day!'.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:00 AM

Received 134 Likes on 115 Posts

Good skills there Dan, sounded like you were in 4th gear there too.
It was eternally slippy out there Chris, I was considering taking my S2000 out but was told I would be a bit mad, being as inexperienced as I am. Plus the wife would have killed me had I have stacked it.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:16 AM

Gosh no, thats 3rd gear @ about 65mph. Druids in those conditions is like driving on oiled ice.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:35 AM

supreme drifting skills though, especially with your passenger. My a*se would have been sqeaking had i been driving
Old 11-08-2011, 01:57 AM

Cheers

That was pretty tame though, one of my vids has me catching a slide through turn 1 at Cadwell @120mph in the dry, that was exciting!
Old 11-08-2011, 02:19 AM

That is life on the limit!! More catchable in the dry too I guess.
Unlunky that Chris couldnt quite keep the S off the grass at druids, the famous snap oversteer comes well into play at this hilly double-corner. I guess that corner is designed to kill everything RWD in the wet.
There's a youtube clip of a Noble coming unstuck at the very corner..... (i'm certain its Druids)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65JxZmzGo1U

It still puzzles me now, why at Oulton, they never put a gravel trap there, or really extend that barrier further away from track. Surely, this would give the RWD guys a bit more confidence in getting the corner "right", and not damage their car in the process.
We are all novices at some point, but thats the risk of the track and its design I suppose. For FWD, the corner doesnt really give as much problem, unless you are on daft slippy rubber!

Quick Reply: S2ki Trackday - Oulton Park - 4th November