UK & Ireland Meets & Events - Past Archive of old meets in the past

S2Ki Trackday - Donington 7th December

Old 12-09-2008, 10:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like lots of hormones going to waste on this thread,

There are some very experienced drivers among the S2k group, and I have a lot of time and respect for their driving.

Oh you Driving Gods!!!
Old 12-09-2008, 11:46 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ninjadave,Dec 9 2008, 09:16 PM
Oh dear gents. It sounded nothing like the relaxed atmosphere at anglesey. If anyone seems upset or short changed after a Bat event then it must be because of some exceptional event since out of all the track days I've been to, i have never been as impressed with how professional and fair it's been run as by Jonny and his team.
From the write i am glad to have missed it due to a poorly clutch.
Can't ewait for the spring S2k trackday, any ideas on where yet? Rockingham or somewhere new?
The irony of this thread is that the day was generally very relaxed, mainly because we couldn't get on track because of the frost. Any 'frosty' atmosphere is and was limited to this thread.

Unfortunately, when we finally did get on track (and not behind the instructor's car) everyone wanted to be on track at the same time and hence it was very busy. I for one was held up by a number of cars that didn't move out of the way, the yellow radical that simon jumped out of the way of being one, but the bulk of them just being due to queues.

I know that i didn't get one clear lap all day without being held up by traffic, but that's just the nature of a busy day.

This problem actually reinforces my view that we're better off paying a slight premium and using bookatrack as opposed to using some of the cheaper trackday providers.

Bookatrack days are (frost and general weather anomalies excluded) much quieter on the track itself as they book less cars per day (hence the guarantee of no queues) and you just don't get the traffic problems that we saw on sunday.

The next day will probably be Rockingham in April/May.

I'll obviously be doing my best to avoid clashes with any other S2ki events so that we don't have to have S2ki'ers choosing between a trackday and a drinking session
Old 12-10-2008, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by lower,Dec 10 2008, 08:46 AM
I'll obviously be doing my best to avoid clashes with any other S2ki events so that we don't have to have S2ki'ers choosing between a trackday and a drinking session
Oh I don't know, I quite enjoyed turning one or two of them green the morning after....
Old 12-10-2008, 01:05 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I think i nearly offended Carrie when i said within earshot that you could tell who'd been out the night before by the smell

I was of course referring to the alcohol fumes they were giving off
Old 12-10-2008, 01:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Matt, very nice stuff you have in there, can I ask which device did you use to do the data logging?
Old 12-10-2008, 01:20 AM
ge2

I think there would be a market for a track day followed by a drinking session
Old 12-10-2008, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by lower,Dec 9 2008, 05:47 AM

just a shame that the weather let us down so badly.

Hopefully see you at the next one where we can have a full day's running!
I'm definately going to be doing more track days

Since the next one you guys will arrange is for April/May I'll see if I can get out to Brands in Feb/March time

I'm keen to do 5 track days or so next year

Koing
Old 12-10-2008, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by kartaphilos,Dec 9 2008, 12:38 PM
While we have a short break in the flaming sessions I thought I'd chuck up some screenshots for the datalogger for the nerd^H^H^H^H...analytical types amongst us.

THis is a screen shot from data on a session later in the day.

I've overlaid the data with another trace I found on the web from a session at Donington from a guy in an M3 CSL just to provide some sort of comparison.

What it clearly shows is I'm stopping accelerating going into craners (That's where the two cross-eyes are on the graph). I've got reasonable mid corner speed in old hairpin and good drive out but I think the radius on the corner can be made larger. It looks like I might have been backing off slightly through the sweeping lefthander (where the bluebird is). Corner speed through Mcleans looks quite good but I'm slowing far too much for Coppice and need more corner speed although the drive out looks ok (the sun in the eyes was tricky though). Redgate could be done better and ona day where there is no ice on the left at the entrance that might be more doable. The speed on the straights and braking at the end could have been higher and harder but they're easier to do once the corners have been sussed.

The graph in the top right shows estimated power Vs RPM and the verdict is around 205HP at the wheels (241HP at flywheel for 85% efficiency in drivetrain). It's a corrected figure but I'm sure the cold weather helped here. Peak cornering g was about 1.15 in the old hairpin (Tyres are worn T1-R's on the front and half worn RE050 MZ's on the back).

Times? Don't know, don't care. (Not the point of the data logger).

BTW: I also learn't that I can fit to front tyres nice and cosily in the front seat

The front brakes didn't get too hot today, the heat haze cracking on the disks didn't get any worse (but I was being gentle on the brakes)...I do need to clean the grooves out!

Matt
You had the stickers on the car right? With the small red wing mirrors? If so Hi!

Cool stats.

Koing
Old 12-10-2008, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by tailhappy,Dec 10 2008, 07:16 PM
That Porsche driver was proper aggressive. Everytime he flashed past he was mugging a gaggle of cars in front.

The highlight of the day had to be watching him overtake everyone down the start finish straight on sheet ice God knows how he managed it but I just cringed thinking this is going to be one seriously expensive crash.
[QUOTE]

Not sure God had much to do with it...I think he had some computer assistance!
Old 12-10-2008, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by tailhappy,Dec 10 2008, 07:16 PM
Bat should be ashamed of themselves and offer a reduction to all who attended off another trackday. Otherwise they will lose bookings in the future no questions.
Read the thread from the start from the top of Page 10.

If no one tells the organiser at the time - he is powerless to fix it.

Of course you did complain to BAT immediately didn't you.

Sorry - not trying to stir it - I can really feel the frustration.
But I feel for the organiser here too.

Quick Reply: S2Ki Trackday - Donington 7th December