UK & Ireland Meets & Events - Past Archive of old meets in the past

S2Ki Trackday - Donington 7th December

Old 09-15-2008, 06:40 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default S2Ki Trackday - Donington 7th December

In recent threads I've noted the recent comments with respect to the increasing costs of trackdays at Donington. With the British Grand Prix allegedly moving to Donington in 2010, Bookatrack have advised me that the prices are likely to increase even further next year so we're unlikely to see those prices come back down.

Donington is a cracking track both for beginners and the more experienced trackday driver, its centrally located and we have a record of holding some excellent days there so it would be a real shame if we couldn't continue this tradition. As such, i've been in negotiations with Jonny at Bookatrack for an end of year S2ki trackday at Donington but at a more reasonable price.

People have been asking why we choose to run the club days with Bookatrack when there are other, cheaper trackday providers around. To stop you having to read all the way through the thread, i've summarised things below.

1. Trakzone, the Donington park in house track day organiser, and most of the other cheaper organisers only run sessioned days so you get 20 minutes of track time per hour and the track is filled to the maximum number of cars allowable for that 20 minutes. Not only does that mean that the track is very busy, if the session gets red flagged because of an off you lose your track time. Everyone in the session goes out at the same time and doesn't come back in till the end of the session so you can see how the track is very busy.

Bookatrack days are open pitlane and run with a lower number of maximum cars on the track at the same time and a much lower number of cars in attendance to the point that they guarantee no queues in the pits. This means that you can have as much track time as you want, you get more 'clear track' time where you can drive at you own pace and not be held up or hold up other people and if you happen to go out in a busy period you can pull back into the pits for a few minutes and then go back out again. This makes for a much more enjoyable track day and much better value for money in my experience.

2. The marshalling and discipline enforced at Bookatrack days is of a much higher quality that that of the cheaper trackday organisers. Unfortunately, you tend to get more aggressive drivers on the cheap days and if they are not kept in check you get more offs, more red flags, and more chance of car to car contact. Bearing in mind you're taking your pride and joy on the track, its vitally important that the day is run safely for both you and your car. I have never seen car to car contact on a Bookatrack day but i have seen plenty of cars black flagged and pulled into the pits for Bookatrack to have a few stern words with the driver when they've been 'over enthusiastic'

3. Lastly, Trakzone and the other cheaper trackday organisers charge for second drivers and passengers, so even though the headline price is lower, once you add in second drivers and passengers the prices get much closer.

Details of the day including prices now below:

The price for the day is
Old 09-15-2008, 06:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will attend and pay by end of September:

Lower

Will attend but can't pay that quickly:

Would like to attend but not sure yet:

CiderBoy
Old 09-15-2008, 06:48 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Lower
lovegroova

CiderBoy
Old 09-15-2008, 12:07 PM

I'm very keen to do Donnington and was planning to do it in Nov or Dec as I notice Donnington is doing these for
Old 09-15-2008, 12:19 PM

Also..anyone interested in....

- Goodwood, 22nd of Nov (Sat)
- Cadwell, 22nd Nov
- Rockingham, 30th Nov (Sun)?

Matt
Old 09-15-2008, 12:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lower
lovegroova
kartaphilos

Chilled

CiderBoy
Old 09-15-2008, 12:52 PM

I'm going to back out of this one having had a moment of clarity.

Number 2 is due to arrive on November 29th, so pissing of to Donny on December 7th is just NOT going to happen!

Lower
lovegroova
kartaphilos

Old 09-15-2008, 01:02 PM

Sadly I wont be around for this one
Old 09-15-2008, 01:10 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

If anyone is interested, i'll be looking for someone to share a BatCat with.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:28 PM

Will need to check with Moggy but we could be up for this.

Lower
lovegroova
kartaphilos
Fieldl/Moggy

Quick Reply: S2Ki Trackday - Donington 7th December