UK & Ireland Meets & Events - Past Archive of old meets in the past

S2Ki Trackday - Anglesey Sunday 26th October

Old 10-29-2008, 08:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkB,Oct 29 2008, 02:27 PM
Trail braking is your friend.

And taking the 'less classic' line.

I'll show you in December. Of if you can make an airfield day before then, there are a few locally to both of us.
Unfortunately with CiderBaby II due on Nov 29th, I can't make Donington this time around. Likewise anything else is out for a few months now (what airfield do you use?).

Trail braking sounds like it could be the answer, I don't think I was doing that.

As for the "less classic" line, is that turn in very late leaving a long straight line exit? That was what I was doing in the end, really throwing the car on the turn and getting the back to slide around into the straight line.

Tidy driving would have probably have been quicker, but no where near as much fun!
Old 10-29-2008, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Paper Lawyer,Oct 29 2008, 10:52 AM
That's because the S2000 is a much better track car than an Elise
Mmmmm.... I don't recall seeing many S2000s getting bigger in my mirror. Lot's were getting very quickly smaller!
Old 10-29-2008, 09:01 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by CiderBoy,Oct 29 2008, 04:53 PM
Mmmmm.... I don't recall seeing many S2000s getting bigger in my mirror. Lot's were getting very quickly smaller!
I can attest to that
Old 10-29-2008, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by CiderBoy,Oct 29 2008, 04:50 PM
Tidy driving would have probably have been quicker, but no where near as much fun!

Old 10-30-2008, 12:19 AM

For those who might be interested, link below to about 3 laps round Anglesey on the Sunday afternoon.

Anglesey track video
Old 10-30-2008, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by CiderBoy,Oct 29 2008, 04:50 PM
Unfortunately with CiderBaby II due on Nov 29th, I can't make Donington this time around. Likewise anything else is out for a few months now (what airfield do you use?).

Trail braking sounds like it could be the answer, I don't think I was doing that.

As for the "less classic" line, is that turn in very late leaving a long straight line exit? That was what I was doing in the end, really throwing the car on the turn and getting the back to slide around into the straight line.

Ah of course, the next member of the Cider Empire due.....

Motorsport Events do airfield days all round me, from Colerne near Bath, Hullavington near Chippenham and Keevil near Westbury, all about 30 mins drive away and about the same for you in the other direction.

By 'less classic' I actually mean a shallower turn in, but on the brakes (trail braking). As the Elise doesn't have the weight over the front wheels, but plenty over the rear wheels, for some corners it makes sense to have those 2 factors in your mind - shallow corner entry under braking, and get on the power nice and early, the opposite of what you're taught at race-school. As I say, it's easier demonstrated than described
Old 10-30-2008, 02:12 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkB,Oct 30 2008, 09:07 AM
By 'less classic' I actually mean a shallower turn in, but on the brakes (trail braking). As the Elise doesn't have the weight over the front wheels, but plenty over the rear wheels, for some corners it makes sense to have those 2 factors in your mind - shallow corner entry under braking, and get on the power nice and early, the opposite of what you're taught at race-school. As I say, it's easier demonstrated than described
This is exactly what Howard is teaching me to do in the S.

Here are all of my vids

Saturday
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZpsmKiNBOI featuring Cossie, Metro, Caterfields, Noble
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tZqxWp66RAA featuring JG, Cossie, Caterfields

Sunday
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=foGI6a-HfPI featuring Atom, lots of JG
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=g5DoyOpEXCA featuring ge2
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xNnMaRzL-5Q you spin me right round baby, right round, like a record baby
Old 10-30-2008, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by MarkB,Oct 30 2008, 09:07 AM
Motorsport Events do airfield days all round me, from Colerne near Bath, Hullavington near Chippenham and Keevil near Westbury, all about 30 mins drive away and about the same for you in the other direction.
I did not realise these places were so close.

What are these airfields like on the tyres? I have visions of abrasive surfaces ripping my tyres to shreds in half a day.

If they are anything like North Weald this is likely to be the case!
Old 10-30-2008, 04:39 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Airfields are normally seriously abrasive.

There were brand new before bruntingthorpe.

Old 10-30-2008, 04:56 AM

airfield days definitely have their place in the market if you want to throw the car around and learn a bit about handling on the limit etc

however, don't attend an airfield day on financial grounds - it's a false economy. yes - the days are cheaper but factor in tyre wear and potential for stone-chipping and it soon becomes a different matter altogether.

Jonny
BaT

Quick Reply: S2Ki Trackday - Anglesey Sunday 26th October