UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

First of Monday's vids here http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=foGI6a-HfPI
Old 10-29-2008, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jleroux,Oct 28 2008, 02:26 PM
Moggy,

I've spoken to the organiser/owner of the civics this morning and made it perfectly clear that their service is not suitable for BaT track days. It's an increasing problem with so many "gift experience" companies popping up and trying to piggy-back track days for the cheap track time. In my opinion there is no place for these companies on track days (certainly on open pit lane events).

Jonny
BaT
Jonny,

Great response. Both Moggy and I were at an Easytrack event at Croft a while back where the same organisation acted exactly the same.

Great day on Saturday even with the weather

Thanks.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by lower,Oct 28 2008, 04:16 PM
The corner at the end of the pitwall straight. You could take it virtually flat in the caterham just with a little lift and feathering the throttle in the corner. I tried to do the same in Tom's Elise but as soon as i started to feather the throttle the back end just stepped out.
They're a bugger for that

The std road setup dials a lot of the inherent lift off oversteer out, but as soon as you have a more aggressive geometry put on the car (mine's going in on the 11th to have it done) the car becomes a lot less forgiving.

Elise/Exige owners always want more front-end grip, especially S2 Elises as they have the narrower section front tyres, when owners get a geo. setup to increase grip on turn in, it can unfortunately have the effect of making the car less forgiving on the faster bends.

The trick is to explit the increased turn in while avoiding anything that allows weight to come off the back end when there is a significant centrifugal force acting on it - the momentum is hard to catch, as you found out.

Re: repairs, if your mate is agreeable, try contacting fibeglassers (boatbuilders etc.) before you contact a body shop, they'll do an almost invisible repair far cheaper than a body shop will (who will probably sub-conbtract out to a fibreglasser anyway).
Old 10-29-2008, 02:38 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkB,Oct 29 2008, 10:32 AM
They're a bugger for that

The std road setup dials a lot of the inherent lift off oversteer out, but as soon as you have a more aggressive geometry put on the car (mine's going in on the 11th to have it done) the car becomes a lot less forgiving.

Elise/Exige owners always want more front-end grip, especially S2 Elises as they have the narrower section front tyres, when owners get a geo. setup to increase grip on turn in, it can unfortunately have the effect of making the car less forgiving on the faster bends.

The trick is to explit the increased turn in while avoiding anything that allows weight to come off the back end when there is a significant centrifugal force acting on it - the momentum is hard to catch, as you found out.

Re: repairs, if your mate is agreeable, try contacting fibeglassers (boatbuilders etc.) before you contact a body shop, they'll do an almost invisible repair far cheaper than a body shop will (who will probably sub-conbtract out to a fibreglasser anyway).

Thanks for the tip re the bodywork mark.

If it was my car i'd be going back to whoever did the geo and saying i want a little bit of the understeer back please! It wasn't a lift of the throttle, literally just a gently feather, and round she went.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:43 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

I was following Tom when he went off at Church. Even with the power down the rear end just slipped away and off he went onto the grass on the inside of the exit. Definitely a lot wrong with the setup. I was going just as quickly and had no problems at all.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by lower,Oct 29 2008, 10:38 AM

Thanks for the tip re the bodywork mark.

If it was my car i'd be going back to whoever did the geo and saying i want a little bit of the understeer back please! It wasn't a lift of the throttle, literally just a gently feather, and round she went.
Seriously, an almost imperceptible lift is often enough with some of the more aggressive setups. Slow in-fast out was never so appropriate (as I found going round Coppice at Donington a few weeks ago), it's difficult to modulate your speed once committed to a fast corner in an Elise, doubly so with a more 'race' style setup.

Mine won't be that aggressive, I don't have a real problem with understeer anyway. Plus Kate occasionally drives the car on the road.

The problem is, as I said over on another of the Exige threads, they're a totally different proposition to most other cars, closer to an old 911 than a lot of people think, they're not truly mid engined as the weight is over, rather than in front of the rear axle. You need to change your driving style drastically to get the best from them - some of these setup allow you to extract the last tenth, but if you're not used to driving that way... well, you experienced what can happen.

Hope you get it sorted though
Old 10-29-2008, 02:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lovegroova,Oct 29 2008, 10:43 AM
I was following Tom when he went off at Church. Even with the power down the rear end just slipped away and off he went onto the grass on the inside of the exit. Definitely a lot wrong with the setup. I was going just as quickly and had no problems at all.
That's because the S2000 is a much better track car than an Elise
Old 10-29-2008, 02:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are the BaT photos available yet? Rich, have you received an email from BaT?
Old 10-29-2008, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by Paper Lawyer,Oct 29 2008, 10:52 AM
That's because the S2000 is much easier for girls to drive than an Elise
Old 10-29-2008, 02:54 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Paper Lawyer,Oct 29 2008, 10:53 AM
Are the BaT photos available yet? Rich, have you received an email from BaT?
I have. Do you want them?

Quick Reply: S2Ki Trackday - Anglesey Sunday 26th October