UK & Ireland Meets & Events - Past Archive of old meets in the past

S2Ki Trackday - Anglesey Sunday 26th October

Old 10-28-2008, 05:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chilled,Oct 28 2008, 01:36 PM
And I was witness to one spin.
To be fair, I think the instructor fecked that one up for me!

The other one was all my own work (aka attempted show off!).
Old 10-28-2008, 06:09 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by chilled,Oct 28 2008, 01:35 PM
Yeah, but we both know it was your fault as you were the one that span.

And that's before I even mention the "other" thing...
I may as well tell everyone as otherwise i'll be blackmailed

An old school friend of mine came along on Monday in his elise which he was generous enough to let me have a spin in. Unfortunately that spin ended up with me bouncing his car off the tyre wall

He'd had the geo done which had made the car very tail happy and i ended up going sideways off the track at the corner at the end of the pit straight. I gathered it up on the grass (or at least thought i had) and got back on the track only to find that i obviously still had some lock on and as soon as the wheels gripped it flung me off the other side of the track into the tyre wall. I was close to stopping by the time i hit the tyres, unfortunately not close enough.

Thankfully the damage was limited to a couple of cracks in the GRP of the front wing and some rubber tyre marks on the wheels. Should be easily repairable and it goes without saying that i'll be paying for the damage.

Totally my fault and i feel very guilty about it. Tom seemed remarkably relaxed about it though and it has made me feel a little less embarrassed to see him spinning like a top throughout the day. I think the total was 8 times so i'm thinking that the geo adjustment he had before the day might have made the car a little too tail happy.

As for the black flag incident, i wasn't the one that span AFTER getting black flagged.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Moggy,Oct 28 2008, 11:46 AM
you were lucky then.

I've never seen cars driven so slow and so badly on track - nearly went and spoke to BaT

they are hire cars-you pay per lap i believe.
Moggy,

I've spoken to the organiser/owner of the civics this morning and made it perfectly clear that their service is not suitable for BaT track days. It's an increasing problem with so many "gift experience" companies popping up and trying to piggy-back track days for the cheap track time. In my opinion there is no place for these companies on track days (certainly on open pit lane events).

Jonny
BaT
Old 10-28-2008, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by lower,Oct 28 2008, 02:09 PM
I may as well tell everyone as otherwise i'll be blackmailed

An old school friend of mine came along on Monday in his elise which he was generous enough to let me have a spin in. Unfortunately that spin ended up with me bouncing his car off the tyre wall

He'd had the geo done which had made the car very tail happy and i ended up going sideways off the track at the corner at the end of the pit straight. I gathered it up on the grass (or at least thought i had) and got back on the track only to find that i obviously still had some lock on and as soon as the wheels gripped it flung me off the other side of the track into the tyre wall. I was close to stopping by the time i hit the tyres, unfortunately not close enough.

Thankfully the damage was limited to a couple of cracks in the GRP of the front wing and some rubber tyre marks on the wheels. Should be easily repairable and it goes without saying that i'll be paying for the damage.

Totally my fault and i feel very guilty about it. Tom seemed remarkably relaxed about it though and it has made me feel a little less embarrassed to see him spinning like a top throughout the day. I think the total was 8 times so i'm thinking that the geo adjustment he had before the day might have made the car a little too tail happy.

As for the black flag incident, i wasn't the one that span AFTER getting black flagged.
Sorry to hear that Rich.

I cracked the rear clam on my Elise and it cost ~
Old 10-28-2008, 06:30 AM

Old 10-28-2008, 06:33 AM

That's useful info nick. I was expecting it to be
Old 10-28-2008, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by jleroux,Oct 28 2008, 02:26 PM
Moggy,

I've spoken to the organiser/owner of the civics this morning and made it perfectly clear that their service is not suitable for BaT track days. It's an increasing problem with so many "gift experience" companies popping up and trying to piggy-back track days for the cheap track time. In my opinion there is no place for these companies on track days (certainly on open pit lane events).

Jonny
BaT
Thank you

Oh, and our 3rd driver put the car into a tyre wall-we'll make sure he doesn't live it down
Old 10-28-2008, 08:01 AM

[QUOTE=lower,Oct 28 2008, 02:33 PM] That's useful info nick. I was expecting it to be
Old 10-28-2008, 08:16 AM

The corner at the end of the pitwall straight. You could take it virtually flat in the caterham just with a little lift and feathering the throttle in the corner. I tried to do the same in Tom's Elise but as soon as i started to feather the throttle the back end just stepped out.

I should have let the car bump along the grass and slow down, but i tried to get back onto the track too quickly and hence the resulting bump into the tyre wall on the opposite side of the track.

I caused the only red flag of both days
Old 10-28-2008, 08:49 AM

Don't worry about it Rich.

Shit happens. You pay for it. You move on.

Quick Reply: S2Ki Trackday - Anglesey Sunday 26th October