UK & Ireland Meets & Events - Past Archive of old meets in the past

Meets in the south west?

Old 07-14-2011, 01:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so are we all confirmed for Wednesday 20th? if we're all happy with the route I can send my .gpx file to whoever has a sat nav with "routes" built in-just give me your email address.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:34 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

You'll need to make an .itn file for the Tom Tom users.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:38 AM

Aargh. Can't make the 20th now - away with work. Maybe next month ?
Old 07-14-2011, 02:52 PM
POG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not familiar with uploading routes so I was just going to follow the convoy, but wondering, do convoys get split up that bad that we'll need the route in sat navs?
Old 07-15-2011, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by POG
I'm not familiar with uploading routes so I was just going to follow the convoy, but wondering, do convoys get split up that bad that we'll need the route in sat navs?
bump, im the same. Plus im not off out to buy a new GPS!

Can I program the route into my iphone somehow, any iphone geeks here?
Old 07-17-2011, 09:00 AM

i think we'll be fine if one person has it on their GPS. If not one of us can try to do the route before the day and we can follow them!

if one or two people aren't able to come on Wednesday we could still have a meet, then organise a bigger one for August.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:15 AM

I'm still up for this meet on Wednesday - even washed the car at the weekend in honour of it (not that you'll be able to tell now I've driven it this morning in the wet).

I think we should be able to drive in convoy OK. For those worried, just a postcode or two of some waypoints and the final pub destination and perhaps swap a mobile phone numbers?

Are we going to book in advance for pub or just turn up. Only really worth booking if numbers are going to be greater than 8. We could always ring from Chew Valley meeting point.

Just a quick warning that there are (apparently) two car parks in Chew Valley about 1/4 mile apart. The bigger one where I think we are meeting up has toilets and coffee shop, but they will probably be closed by the time we get there.

Come on folks - lets get together. Sometimes its as much about gaining momentum as anything!
Old 07-18-2011, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by Coppins999
I'm still up for this meet on Wednesday - even washed the car at the weekend in honour of it (not that you'll be able to tell now I've driven it this morning in the wet).

I think we should be able to drive in convoy OK. For those worried, just a postcode or two of some waypoints and the final pub destination and perhaps swap a mobile phone numbers?

Are we going to book in advance for pub or just turn up. Only really worth booking if numbers are going to be greater than 8. We could always ring from Chew Valley meeting point.

Just a quick warning that there are (apparently) two car parks in Chew Valley about 1/4 mile apart. The bigger one where I think we are meeting up has toilets and coffee shop, but they will probably be closed by the time we get there.

Come on folks - lets get together. Sometimes its as much about gaining momentum as anything!
pub wise i think forewarning might be good-i think there should be about 8 cars, so with a few guests that's going to be quite a few people-maybe more than they'd normally get at 8:30ish on a Wednesday evening!

there are 2 picnic sites very close to one another. i checked it out yesterday at 8pm ish and they were both closed and locked. i'm trying to google maps another place to meet.

the priddy to cheddar road is great, as long as its dry! the rain from yesterday came off the cliffs surrounding the road and waterlogged it. i think most cars would easily aquaplane-which means anything about 30mpg in an S2000 and you've crashed!

in terms of GPS you can just put in the places first (ie. chew stoke, priddy, cheddar etc) and once you've arrived at each place just change the destination. if they're set up as favourites or "recently found" its just a few screen taps.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:33 AM

Ok, we need to do this list again, so we know who is going or not this wedsnesday.

You are able to edit your entries within doodle, so if you are not able to attend I suggest you go and change it within in the poll http://doodle.com/848fnvdm7ffdqu7m

The roads around this way are pretty bad at the moment, especially the priddy-Cheddar direction, I went up that way this morning and well being hilly the water is running from the fields over the roads, I had a couple small moments just crusing around.

Whats the general consensus, are we still meeting on wednesday if its, Dry only, Wet but not raining, light rain, peeing it down? Because looking at the forecast is no good at the moment as its all over the place.

I am happy to leave it till last minute to decide, but im pretty close and wont need to rush about afterwork. But I expect some of you will need a solid answer as you may be coming straight from work or something?

I am up for it aslong as its not torrential rain.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:52 AM

i say we continue as planned-even if one or two people drop out it should be a decent (re)start of a Bristol/Somerset faction at the least!

the weather's ridiculous right now, so i think it'll be a relatively lats minute decision-we could try and call it by a certain time on Wednesday-i'm not rushing around so I don't mind when this is. I think a but of light rain is fine-its mainly the surface water on the roads as you mentioned. So we could say that we'll jugdge it by 3pm, and either way just leave a notice on this board saying whether its on or off.

the only half decent place to meet around Chew is the Bear and Swan pub. I think if we're all punctual and meet in their car park i don't reckon anyone would mind. i don't think they'd be too happy about 7 or 8 load cars hanging out in the car park for too long though!

Quick Reply: Meets in the south west?