UK & Ireland Meets & Events - Past Archive of old meets in the past

Le Mans 2007

Old 06-20-2006, 02:04 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Kelk,Jun 20 2006, 09:46 PM
1) Pete I'm wondering if the underlying issue here is not the fact that there is a group who enjoy others company and want to keep that dynamic stable as it works for all members of the group.

2) Reading between the lines I think, and I could soooo be wrong, but it's the fact that a public, open forum, with access to and for all members is being used for a select group.

3) with the party analogy you originally used, but for a party I personally would use PM rather than say "There's a party at mine, but only those who know are welcome"
1) no, that's not the case

it has nothing to do with maintaining a stable (?!) group

many of the people attending this year had not met each other before

the group evolves - but rate and size are key, together with certain underlying principles (like no name badges)

2) as stated in 1) above, the make up of the group is not fixed; indeed, it changes every year, even if there are some repeat offenders

3) I recall numerous occasions where the forum has been used to discuss partys at individual's houses, where it is quite clear that no open invitation exists

I go back to Neil's point - it's a public event

and I think some posters might want to ponder why none of the people we meet in Le Mans feel 'excluded'

Old 06-20-2006, 02:05 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gaddafi,Jun 20 2006, 10:40 PM
2) Rich best speak for himself, but inviting one or two extra people is not my concern - lots of extras is
Yes, I was offered a complete set of tickets by an associate for ferry, entry and camping, and Kay has said she was interested.

As it was she couldn't go and he managed to sell the ferry crossing to someone else.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by S2KayGT,Jun 20 2006, 09:53 PM
Oh Pete! I really can see what you're saying but it's just the manner that is a little unfortunate I fear .. or maybe I'm just in a mood to pick a fight with anyone that says "hello!" ths evening (it DID take over 2.5 hours to do an hour trip on the train ) ..... if I have mistaken the underlying tone of your responses BTW, then I do apologise

Your points are taken and you are entitled to your feelings, I will agree to disagree on this one topic and will probably stick to motorbikes in the future anyway
no need for an apology

put this down to the limitations of the written word.....

it's really simple from my perspective

the 'group' works because of its size, because participants adhere to some underlying principles and are accepting of certain behaviours

these factors are difficult to define, because the group is not organised very formally beyond times, transport, tickets and a list of things we need

many people would struggle with this - and they tend to be the sorts of people who who would also struggle with some of the behaviours I allude to

it's difficult to explain why the numbers are critical, but you will have attended other events which are too small or too large

you just get a feel for this sort of thing

as you know, other members have attended for the first time this year, and I think even the most committed conspiracy theorist would find it difficult to convince anyone that such people are clearly of a certain type

Burnie and Graham for example (although I admit both are closets)

two things 'stop' people from joining our group - their personalities and numbers

at the moment, numbers are the overriding factor, but if this situation changes, people may need to think very seriously about whether they want to participate

I've touched on that before

Old 06-20-2006, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Burnie? Closet?

Do me a favour
Old 06-20-2006, 02:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by grahamb,Jun 20 2006, 10:25 PM
Burnie? Closet?

Do me a favour
double wardrobe then
Old 06-20-2006, 02:39 PM

Continuing the party analogy, I suggest we gate crash, drink all their booze, eat all their food and piss in their tents.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:17 PM

What I think the point of this thread is:

We've been to Le Mans
It's on again next year
Maybe some other like minded people would be interested

The first big S2000 trip down in 2004 arose from exactly that (a few LM veterans saying come on you'll enjoy it!). One of the big learning points from that trip was that a large group became unwieldy (and potentially annoying)

Neil makes a valid point - Le Mans is a very public event attended by some 250 000 people. There are entire forums on other sites devoted to explaining how to attend ( Club Arnage for instance). If people want to go they can ask for advice from people on this forum here.
Then they can order their tickets/ferries etc

I don't camp with the 'main group' - don't travel the same route to the track or even go on the same days (Neither for example do Vixen or MrV). That doesn't stop me catching up with friends for a beer (or 20) at their camp. Or non S2K mates camping with me for that matter.

So - Who's thinking of going?

ps Ben Fluffyninja cannot camp with me as Emma wouldn't appreciate vomit on the carpet
Old 06-20-2006, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by CiderBoy,Jun 20 2006, 11:39 PM
Continuing the party analogy, I suggest we gate crash, drink all their booze, eat all their food and piss in their tents.
That may help put the fires out and preserve the local wells
Old 06-20-2006, 09:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob M,Jun 20 2006, 11:17 PM
What I think the point of this thread is:

We've been to Le Mans
It's on again next year
Maybe some other like minded people would be interested

The first big S2000 trip down in 2004 arose from exactly that (a few LM veterans saying come on you'll enjoy it!). One of the big learning points from that trip was that a large group became unwieldy (and potentially annoying)

Neil makes a valid point - Le Mans is a very public event attended by some 250 000 people. There are entire forums on other sites devoted to explaining how to attend ( Club Arnage for instance). If people want to go they can ask for advice from people on this forum here.
Then they can order their tickets/ferries etc

I don't camp with the 'main group' - don't travel the same route to the track or even go on the same days (Neither for example do Vixen or MrV). That doesn't stop me catching up with friends for a beer (or 20) at their camp. Or non S2K mates camping with me for that matter.

So - Who's thinking of going?

ps Ben Fluffyninja cannot camp with me as Emma wouldn't appreciate vomit on the carpet
This was how I was planning on doing it.
Find out where everyone else is, sort out my own trip and I'll catch up with you there.

That way I can turn up to their campsite, drink all their beer, vomit on the bonfire and then stagger back to my tent without worry of getting eye-brows shaved
Old 06-20-2006, 10:28 PM
GSi

Originally Posted by fluffyninja,Jun 21 2006, 06:51 AM
That way I can turn up to their campsite, drink all their beer, vomit on the bonfire and then stagger back to my tent without worry of getting eye-brows shaved
Eye brows would be the least of your worries

Quick Reply: Le Mans 2007